Fine Scotch Whisky Recipe Discussion

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Re: Fine Scotch Whisky

Postby kobold » Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:53 am

i also start fresh each time
kobold

equipment: air still, 3"pot still

Postby crow » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:18 am

If you wanted to milk out the flavours and get you moneys worth from the grain you could do a sugarhead whiskey piggy back style like I do with the grain and stillage from my oat whiskey . It won't be scotch but it will be whiskey
(had to read 16 pages to find this link) viewtopic.php?f=25&t=2573
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby stimson » Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:59 pm

stimson wrote:ok great. I'll get both fermenters going then :dance:

Have now completed my 3 washes and ran it thru my flute last night. pulled out 4L @95%. Did my cuts this arvo and watered it down to 65% and added some sticks of charred oak.
I'll give it a sample in a months time to check on progress. :mrgreen:
stimson

equipment: 2" bokabob
2" pot still
3" flute
4" flute
25L boiler
50L boiler

Postby Brendan » Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:28 pm

Stimson,

Are you not worried about stripping too much of the flavour at 95%ABV?

I have heard from other whisky lovers running bubblers, who are still taking their output between around 85% down to about 70%...have not heard about the results after aging yet though :think:
Brendan

equipment: 4.99L Essential oil extractor

Postby stimson » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:06 pm

Brendan wrote:Stimson,

Are you not worried about stripping too much of the flavour at 95%ABV?

I have heard from other whisky lovers running bubblers, who are still taking their output between around 85% down to about 70%...have not heard about the results after aging yet though :think:

My 3" perf plates column comes out at 95%. How do i detune it to get a lower abv? Do i need to do this? I thought the purpose of these flutes was to get pot still flavour at speed with high abv?
I did do separate pot still stripping runs first and combine all 3 for the spirit run thru the flute.

SO far my rums and whiskeys have been really good (not that I have mates who are running bubblers to compare against) They are still stuck in neutral and essence land
stimson

equipment: 2" bokabob
2" pot still
3" flute
4" flute
25L boiler
50L boiler

Postby Kimbo » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:15 pm

There is no real need to detune your bubbler mate. I couldn't understand it either, How can spirit with such high ABV have so much flavour?
and if it is so much higher then it needs to be diluted more later :think:
It just works :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby crow » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:20 pm

otherwise maybe adjust the flow to the RC if ya worried about it pulling out to much :-B
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby Brendan » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:26 pm

Yeah that's what I was thinking, slowing the input to the reflux condenser.

I'd be keen to hear from someone who's aged some whiskey run through a bubbler at different ABV :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Brendan

Postby Sam. » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:16 pm

Mixed a sample bottle after being in a 25L American Oak barrel for 5 months and it is really starting to taste good :handgestures-thumbupleft:

This was done with the pot so can't wait to see the difference with a bubbler.

The barrel had been used previously as well, I reckon it would be better with a freshly charred barrel :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Couple more months and I might be bottling the lot :D
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby crow » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:33 pm

sam_and_liv wrote:Mixed a sample bottle after being in a 25L American Oak barrel for 5 months and it is really starting to taste good :handgestures-thumbupleft:

The barrel had been used previously as well, I reckon it would be better with a freshly charred barrel :handgestures-thumbupleft:

:think: :think: Sounds like another trip to the big smoke before returning to ice land might be advantageous ;-)
crow

Fine Scotch Whisky

Postby Sam. » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:40 pm

Could be, I was too smashed to think about trying the barrels last time!
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.

Postby Sam. » Thu May 09, 2013 10:41 pm

sam_and_liv wrote:Mixed a sample bottle after being in a 25L American Oak barrel for 5 months and it is really starting to taste good :handgestures-thumbupleft:

It's tasting pretty fuckin good to me now :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Might just leave it until the barrel is ready to fill again ;-)
Sam.
Lifetime Member

18 Gal boiler.

Postby Brendan » Thu May 09, 2013 10:50 pm

Great to hear Sam! :handgestures-thumbupleft:

I can't wait to get mine down...I've got everything but the distillate to put in the barrel :shifty:

It's great to hear feedback from people aging in a barrel rather than pieces of oak, especially that you've done it in a 25L too. Sounds very promising :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Brendan

Postby Sam. » Thu May 09, 2013 10:55 pm

Brendan wrote:Great to hear Sam! :handgestures-thumbupleft:

I can't wait to get mine down...I've got everything but the distillate to put in the barrel :shifty:

It's great to hear feedback from people aging in a barrel rather than pieces of oak, especially that you've done it in a 25L too. Sounds very promising :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Yeah mate, seriously the first 3 - 4 months I thought "What the fuck have I done" but somehow the oak turns it into the goodness :handgestures-thumbupleft:

No wonder the best scotch you can buy increases exponentially with age :D

I have heard 2 years is good for a 25L but don't see this making it that long :laughing-rolling:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

18 Gal boiler.

Postby Brendan » Thu May 09, 2013 11:41 pm

sam_and_liv wrote:
I have heard 2 years is good for a 25L but don't see this making it that long :laughing-rolling:

I'm going to try my hardest :laughing-rolling:
Brendan

Postby Matt S » Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:54 pm

Put down two 20L lots of this recipe. Smells great, and the small amount of peaked malt really comes through in the product. I have these both sitting at 28C and they are bubbling away nicely. Will run them through the pot still twice and leave them in a demijohn with some oak for as long as I can. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Matt S

equipment: Pot Still- Mac made
VM Still-Mac made

Postby Sam. » Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:36 am

Mine is now up to 11 months and it is damn good, very tempted to bottle it but then I think, what if it gets even better :think:

So many decisions 8-}

Now that my bag of peated malt has finally arrived via canoe from scotland (I have been waiting 6 months for it :angry-banghead: ) I reckon I will make a heap more to fill the keg again and bottle this one :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

18 Gal boiler.

Postby Matt S » Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:36 am

I think my best option once I have it in the demijohn is just to forget I ever made it. That way it MAY last a while longer before I get into it :teasing-neener:
Matt S

equipment: Pot Still- Mac made
VM Still-Mac made

Postby grehund » Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:48 pm

This sounds great. Very well delivered recipe, easy to follow. I'm looking forward to making some of this.
grehund

equipment: 4-plate 4" Bubble Cap
50L Keg Boiler, 2x 2.2kW Elements (1x Voltage Controller)
STC-1000 Temp Controlled Fermentation Fridge

Postby Sam. » Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:46 pm

Drained the barrel today down to the tap, got about 8L @ 65%, there will be a few litres still in the bottom but that will be mixed with the new batch :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Been in the barrel for 13 months now and it is excellent :dance:

This is the colour at 65%

photo.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sam.
Lifetime Member

18 Gal boiler.

PreviousNext

Return to Recipe Development