Great Gin Recipe Discussion

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Re: Great Gin

Postby kiwikeg » Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:44 pm

I can't buy Oriss root, went some dark places looking but drew a total blank.
Angelica root I have a massive plant In the garden that I grew for making gin, just lettibg it seed before I dig it up.
Dill never, its just wrong.

Really impressed with the gin ..
Next step gin basket, it was really trippy how the flavours came out the still one at a time....
kiwikeg

equipment: Fsd bubbler

Great Gin

Postby BackyardBrewer » Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:05 pm

kiwikeg wrote:I can't buy Oriss root, went some dark places looking but drew a total blank.
Angelica root I have a massive plant In the garden that I grew for making gin, just lettibg it seed before I dig it up.
Dill never, its just wrong.

Really impressed with the gin ..
Next step gin basket, it was really trippy how the flavours came out the still one at a time....

What? You can't buy orris? Ummm eBay? You've heard of this thing called the internet haven't you? ;) I bought a tub for sweet fuck all off someone on eBay along with Angelica as a powder. Just search eBay for herbs.

And don't discount fresh dill. It's in every major commercial gin.
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

equipment: Solid Copper Love Machine (Plated column bubbler), hand made with love by a forum member
50L keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements
PURE distilling Reflux still + a tonne of homebrew gear amassed over 10 years of brewing.

Postby the Doctor » Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:46 pm

Can recommend Austral Herbs for botanicals they are just up the road from us in Kentucky and supply all our botanicals. They are online and have everything except grains of paradise. Top supplier.
Doc
the Doctor

equipment: 6 plate bubble cap, grain brewery

Postby MacStill » Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:49 pm

the Doctor wrote:Can recommend Austral Herbs for botanicals they are just up the road from us in Kentucky and supply all our botanicals. They are online and have everything except grains of paradise. Top supplier.
Doc

I opened this thread to view your post and was highly disappointed :crying-blue:

No mention of the the Doctor Head, Doc's little gin, or anything at all quirky..... you're off your game pal :laughing-rolling:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby bt1 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:32 am

Kiwi,

if your keen and looking for flavours...try a Bols(Dutch) clone or a genevere style...few ingredients more about the wash grain mix these or a modern with just 3 or so ingredients...very different process and some wonderful dedicated botanicals flavours

this gives ingredients lists and style notes etc as well as brands...
http://gin.findthebest.com/

bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Postby salientlucidity » Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:54 am

I'll be trying this in the weekend. For those of you in New Zealand looking for orris root and other harder to get herbs I found a place online - based in uper hutt so if your in the wellington region you can also go and visit

http://www.cottagehillherbs.co.nz/herbal-products-wellington/whole-dried-herbs-and-powders-wellington/ and
salientlucidity

equipment: 50lt Keg 2" VM & Pot Still

Postby the Doctor » Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:07 am

Guys while a traditional London Dry is the classic gin style...I think it is time to think outside of the square with this amazing spirit... I think we all owe Hendricks a debt, of breaking the traditional mold and opening Gin up to a ,more exotic interpretation. I was recently approached by a large fashion label who want to develop their own line of white spirits...very high end. THis is one of the concept Gins i am developing, with fresh lemongrass, ginger, and japanese sencha... it is delicious, amazing as a martini with fragrant bitters and a really great addition to our products... I am just saying that if you cannot get the botanicals you love...love the ones you can get and loosen the shackles. Cheers
Doc

Mau-mau.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
the Doctor

Postby peterhobit » Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:34 pm

I think she already loosened her shackles!

I bought some Orris root, it is a finely ground powder, does a powder in the gin caddy cause any issues (eg going gloopy) I will be putting the gin caddy after the reflux condensor.
peterhobit

equipment: 5SD six plate bubbler with packed section a Gin caddy + 5SD 60 liter boiler

Postby bt1 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:53 pm

Peter,

No issues with any of the powders...they bind to the other botanicals when mixed together, especially if your using diced local florals/stamens...don't over look rose it adds a nice touch way past the original recipe spec.

bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Postby RuddyCrazy » Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:12 pm

G'day Guy's,
Well I've read this thread over and over and I do have one more spirit run to make and between my wife and her good friend most of the herbs will be onhand. Like Orris Root my wife has been doing this for years digging the roots, drying them out, shaving them then selling the product at markets etc. So if any members want Orris Root send me a PM and we can post what ever weight you want.

As I'll be doing this in my pot still I'll strip the insulation off some 1.6mm copper wire then make a muslin bag to sit at the neck of the pot still. Ok it is a USJM wash and I will be doing another weetbix run so I can also try it with a neutral.

Like I said above if any guys need Orris Root we have plenty here and can post it easily.

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Postby the Doctor » Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:41 am

We are currently developing a gin for a fashion label who are looking at having their own unique brand. The surprising thing is how well fresh lime, ginger and lemongrass work as flavour leaders in this new gin. Really crisp and very refreshing, it is worth a try.
Doc
the Doctor

Postby peterhobit » Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:54 pm

To all the people that have made this recipe
I really want to have a go at this soon so I would like to ask some beginners questions.
I have about 6 liters of 93% neutral spirit made from winos sugar wash, heads and tails removed but everything else just mixed together. If I dilute the 93% with fresh water again and run it through my still in a 60 liter boiler, what configuration would you use?
Would you use one, two three four bubbler plates?
Would you use the packed section again?

I will put the gin basket above the reflux condenser.
I am assuming I don't have to throw any fores away again? (but will do cuts as per the usual way)
What would you dilute the neutral spirit down to again for re-distilling? 20%, 30%?

Sorry lots of questions but just after a bit of guidance.
Thanks in advance
peterhobit

equipment: 5SD six plate bubbler with packed section a Gin caddy + 5SD 60 liter boiler

Postby Scales82 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:17 pm

plan on making this soon, should I do it in my pot still or my boka?
Scales82

equipment: 5L Pot,
25L CM Nixon
both from HBS (and being retired)
2" BOKA LM in constuction
VM addon and Pot also planned

Postby Urrazeb » Thu May 22, 2014 3:27 pm

peterhobit wrote:To all the people that have made this recipe
I really want to have a go at this soon so I would like to ask some beginners questions.
I have about 6 liters of 93% neutral spirit made from winos sugar wash, heads and tails removed but everything else just mixed together. If I dilute the 93% with fresh water again and run it through my still in a 60 liter boiler, what configuration would you use?
Would you use one, two three four bubbler plates?
Would you use the packed section again?

I will put the gin basket above the reflux condenser.
I am assuming I don't have to throw any fores away again? (but will do cuts as per the usual way)
What would you dilute the neutral spirit down to again for re-distilling? 20%, 30%?

Sorry lots of questions but just after a bit of guidance.
Thanks in advance

Hi PH, I always take fores on every run.
I would run in neutral config, so 5 plates plus packed section and also the more you water it down the more 'neutral' the alc will be, I'd go for about 25-30%. This should allow you to pick up max flavour from botanical's.

The benefit of using previously ran and cut neutral in this case is because you will have very small heads/tails fraction allowing you to blend the flavours from either side of the run because you will find different flavours are picked up at different stages. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Urrazeb

equipment: Column & pot

Postby Rolf Boldrewood » Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:25 pm

Howdy, I have tried making Odin's Easy Gin http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 14&t=48668 and very happy with the results. I want to step up and bit and make this one. I have a 20 litre TPW sitting next to the heater in the living room (very understanding wife who likes gin). I have a 12 litre boiler on my pot still hence the 20 litre wash. I'm planning to doing 2, 10 litre stripping runs and combine the output (cut back to 40%) to do a spirit run with the botanicals suspended above the wash in a muslin bag.

Does this sound like the way to go? Do I need to scale back the ingredients? Should I add the botanicals to the stripping run rather than the spirit run (half in each run)? My thinking of doing it in the stripping run is that I can be a bit more ruthless on my cuts there so that on the spirit run I don't lose as much of the flavour from the botanicals.

Yes I know I need a bigger boiler ;-)

Regards
Rolf

On hand at the moment: Weetbix and Allbran 'whisky' in a 10 litre American Oak keg, Quince liqueur, Creme de Cassis (blackcurrant liqueur), Odin's Easy Gin, Cherry Schnapps, Strawberry Panty Dropper, Blackberry Liqueur, Slivovitz, Limoncello.
Rolf Boldrewood

equipment: 2" home made pot still on a 12 litre boiler.

Postby blond.chap » Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:47 pm

Hey mate, ideally you would use a reflux column to purify your spirit a bit more before adding botanicals, but worth the pot that's probably the best you can do.
The ingredients are about right for that quantity. I'd be putting the botanicals as high in the column as possible, ensuring you don't block it completely. Also make sure it's in the upward path (though bt1 might disagree with this).
Use the botanicals in the spirit run.

Also, I'm finding it's best to take your cuts then leave them for a couple of days before blending. Otherwise it's really easy to get palate fatigue and have tails your gin
blond.chap

equipment: Paris Stillton (4" perforated bubbler)

Postby Rolf Boldrewood » Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:56 pm

Thanks blond chap. I will give it a go and report back. I find the TPW out of the pot still is fairly neutral anyway.

Rolf
Rolf Boldrewood

equipment: 2" home made pot still on a 12 litre boiler.

Postby blond.chap » Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:59 pm

Yeah that's true, I'm not too fussed about getting azeotrope neutral, main thing is that it tastes good
blond.chap

Postby Apsey » Thu Jun 19, 2014 1:37 pm

Hey guys,

Got 100l of TPW and my shiny new 4 plate bubbler and packed section ready to go but got a couple of quesitons on the botanicals (managed to source the whole lot, even grains of paradise- thanks EBay!):

Botanicals
40-60g dried juniper berries depending on preference for lighter to heavier styles OK
4 almonds OK
3-5 strips of orange peel (how long & wide should the strips be and should i remove the white pith from the inside of the peel? Also should i grind it up in the pestle and mortar with the other botanicals?)
3-5 strips of lemon peel (as above?)
2 strips lime peel (as above?)
3/4 teaspoon full of angelica root (powder or shavings of root?)
3/4 teaspoon full of Orris root (powder or shavings of root?)
1/2 star anise OK
1/2 teaspoon full of ground coriander OK
Cassia bark 1/2 a scroll or 1 teaspoon cinamon powder (1/2 a whole scroll or just a few strips of the outer bark?)
3/4 teaspoon full of ground ginger OK
3 black pepper corns OK
1/4 teaspoon dill tips (dried ok?)
3 whole cloves OK
6 grains of paradise OK

REALLY looking forward to trying this one!!!!

Chers
Apsey
Apsey

equipment: 50l keg pot still with 2 x 2400w elements, 3" fill port & FSD 4" four plate bubbler

Postby blond.chap » Thu Jun 19, 2014 1:42 pm

Hey apsey,

I work on a strip as being roughly 1 cm wide, the length of a full strip of lime for each. Near enough is good enough. I always use died herbs. And powder it's what I usually use. For the rind strips, just give them a whack with something heavy to squish then a bit.
Half a scroll spit in half and squashed.

Enjoy
blond.chap

PreviousNext

Return to Recipe Development