Great Gin Recipe Discussion

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Re: Great Gin Recipe Discussion

Postby Lowie » Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:10 pm

You must be one of the few making your own wash Doc - very commendable. Would you mind sharing with us your recipe (also understand if it's your IP too...)? I used to use TPW but found it to have a residual tomato taste. I have been using Teddys FFV which is much better. My next step is to make an AG wash which should be better again.
Lowie

equipment: 4", 4 plate "Frankenfurter" copper bubbler and blockhead on a 50L 3000W electric boiler, 10000W controller - don't even know why I need that much, all grain HERMS system through 18G HLT keg and 50L mash tun.

Postby Yurugaboy » Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:33 pm

I use Docs TPPW recipe, It’s on his Distilleries website under recipes I think.
Yurugaboy
Site Donor

equipment: FSD 4" 4 plate Blockhead Bubbler on a 50 l FSD milk can powered by 2x 2400w elements

Postby the Doctor » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:40 am

Lowie wrote:You must be one of the few making your own wash Doc - very commendable. Would you mind sharing with us your recipe (also understand if it's your IP too...)? I used to use TPW but found it to have a residual tomato taste. I have been using Teddys FFV which is much better. My next step is to make an AG wash which should be better again.

Lowie if you have residual tomato taste, then you are not getting the spirit to neutral... assuming you are stripping before the spirit run... try more plates in the vapour path or running a bit slower with a fair bit of reflux from the deflegmator... any of the regular TPW recipes will do the job.
Doc
the Doctor

equipment: 6 plate bubble cap, grain brewery

Postby bluc » Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:16 am

Anyone here grow their own botanicals?
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby the Doctor » Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:06 pm

bluc wrote:Anyone here grow their own botanicals?

some of our botanicals we grow... but being over a kilometre above sea level does limit what will grow.
Doc
the Doctor

Postby bluc » Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:12 pm

I am thinking of maybe setting up a small hydro under lights setup and drying vac bagging excess...
bluc
Site Donor

Postby Doubleuj » Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:36 pm

bluc wrote:I am thinking of maybe setting up a small hydro under lights setup and drying vac bagging excess...

Why? Unless you’re selling it like doc what would be the point? I just priced to buy all the botanicals at less than $70 and that gives 250g of each, more than enough for years of gin. Way less than setting up a hydro set up.
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" stainless glasser

Postby Dig Brinker » Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:56 pm

I use whatever I can from my veggie garden. As in coriander seed, dill, rose petals, etc. The neighbor has oranges & other citrus, all organic. Juniper, orris etc from eBay, plenty sellers im sure you’ll find one you like. Other more common spices like cinnamon, nutmeg etc your supermarket will have.

I don’t think you’ll need a hydro setup unless you’re thinking of a different type of gin.

Thanks for your input, Doc. Much appreciated.

I’m just using an inline basket but haven’t seen any oil type residue carry over to my finished product. I only run small batches though, and pretty slow collection rate so maybe that keeps the oils down?
Dig Brinker

equipment: 4 inch 4 plate bubbler on keg boiler

Postby bluc » Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:54 pm

Dig lol yea I already have the lights :handgestures-thumbupleft: and just thought it would be a fun project.. Just how much money for botanicals per litre is needed? I thought it would end up being quite expensive if making a say 30l per year....dont know never bought botanicals or made gin..
bluc
Site Donor

Postby the Doctor » Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:16 am

bluc wrote:I am thinking of maybe setting up a small hydro under lights setup and drying vac bagging excess...

Hey bluc...we set up a 6 foot x 4 foot hydro set up for botanicals... I'm sad to say it was a disaster... every botanical has individual needs which mean't that we had one or two that were fine but others that did not perform at all... In the end we gave up on growing Hydro botanicals... luckily we have Austral Herbs just up the road ...so after six months of pushing poop uphill we gave in admitted that we could grow effectively outside ...but Hydro was a no go.
Cheers
Doc
the Doctor

Postby bluc » Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:21 pm

Ok cool yea I was wondering about that last night having mixed plants in one system.
Last edited by bluc on Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bluc
Site Donor

Postby Professor Green » Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:26 pm

Not gin botanicals, but I have a good selection of absinthe ones.

Cheers,
Prof. Green.
Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Postby YarraRanges » Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:06 pm

Yes, artemesia absinthium for the white part of absinthe and artemesia pontica and lemon balm for the greening.
Also prunis spinosa (sloe plumb) for sloe gin and angelica for the angelica root fixer when making gin.
I've had no luck yet with a couple of juniper pines that I planted.
YarraRanges

equipment: 14 plate bubbler

Postby Rolls912 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:37 pm

what ingredient/s in the gin give it the full flavour feel in your mouth? Is it the orris root?
Rolls912

equipment: 5SD 4inch Boka
5SD pot still
5SD milk can
Carter head
Charcoal filter
Temp controller

Postby Dick Jane » Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:29 pm

May have missed it but....

I have a cheap Ebay Pot Still with a Thumper Keg. Can I somehow put the botanicals in the Thumper (Running dry)? I could even make a basket that goes over the inlet pipe???
Dick Jane

equipment: Egay Pot Still

Postby bluc » Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:36 pm

You could soak botanicals in couple litres neutral put that in thumper then distill neutral through it...or put macerated straight in pot and don't use thumper.

Do you have anyway to hang a bag of botanicals above liquid level in either boiler or thumper?(only downside you can't change botanicala)

To chang botanicals you need to either have an rc(deflag) below basket put it in reflux and a way to slide a basket in out via 4" end cap or a big
Botanical basket or just make small amounts of gin and don't change basket..
bluc
Site Donor

Postby bluc » Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:38 pm

Rolls912 wrote:what ingredient/s in the gin give it the full flavour feel in your mouth? Is it the orris root?

The neutral base spirit(some cheat and add glycerine). Wheat based neutral is popular for this as it has the wanted"mouth feel" :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bluc
Site Donor

Postby coffe addict » Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:01 pm

One thing to remember is you'll need pretty clean neutral for a good gin... Which will take quite a few runs with a pot and thumper to accomplish.
Once you have a good neutral then soaking the botanicals in it for a few days straining and then running through a pot still produces pretty awesome gin!

Edit: speaking of gin some is heading your way in the mornings post bluc better late than never lol
Last edited by coffe addict on Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
coffe addict

equipment: 18 gal keg boiler on its side on wheel's with fill port, 1in drain and 2x2.4kw elements
4in 5 plate modular blockhead with optional infusion basket

Postby YarraRanges » Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:59 pm

Steeping in the alcohol for a few days is only good for smokers with damaged taste buds. Adding to that it becomes incredibly oily.
If you want a gin that you can quaff on a summer afternoon then putting your botanicals in the vapour path is the way to go. You get a lovely flowery gin that the girls love. A definite panty dropper. IMHO.
YarraRanges

equipment: 14 plate bubbler

Postby dans.brew » Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:26 pm

YarraRanges wrote: You get a lovely flowery gin that the girls love. A definite panty dropper. IMHO.

Why didn't someone say sooner... would of had a crack at some :laughing-rolling:

I did make a gin basket to fit in my bubbler to have a crack at it at some point... I'll just have to work on the theory if i like it, i must of got it half right. I've never actually tried gin to my knowledge. I do have someone in the family that could be my taste tester.
dans.brew

equipment: Pure Distilling Reflux Still
2" Pot Still with lieberg
4" x 4 plates Bubbler with 2"bubble caps on 50ltr keg boiler

PreviousNext

Return to Recipe Development