Deathwish Wheat Germ DWWG Recipe Discussion

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Re: Deathwish Wheat Germ - DWWG

Postby Frank » Fri Sep 30, 2011 6:07 pm

All good Mr Busman. I am interested in any/all washes that create a base suitable for SCOTCH whisky (ie not corn= bourbon etc) and this one finally fell under my radar :roll: after your Vat69 comment as, IMHO, its a cheap but not offensive blended whisky with a bit of drynes/smokeyness. Mr Qaemist, I will be most interested in your results too (cobber :lol: )

Ok, for my benefit at least :oops: , is there any way to do the 'part one: boil' of this recipe in smaller 'batches' or with less water or ??? as I only have a 10l 'pot' that'll sit on the stove etc etc :think:??
Frank

Postby busman » Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:28 pm

You can downsize the recipe to suit your pot. Or buy a bigger pot :lol: (I know which way I'd go if I were you, the first time you stand there boiling three batches for an hour or so each will be the last :lol: )
busman

equipment: 2" VM column, 2" pot still, 55L keg boiler

Postby Frank » Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:57 pm

busman wrote:You can downsize the recipe to suit your pot. Or buy a bigger pot :lol: (I know which way I'd go if I were you, the first time you stand there boiling three batches for an hour or so each will be the last :lol: )

True, Busman.... or...... :crazy:
I just boiled 450g of wheat germ + about half the sugar and citric acid in my 'not quite 10l' pot for a 'good' 90 minutes :o then added this to my fermenter where I'd used boiling water to dissolve 'the rest' of the sugar. Now waiting for the temp to come back to something reasonable like, say, 26C b4 I pitch the (maybe 80g? of Lowans Red) yeast into the 25l wash. I am wondering what'll happen for sure...but couldn't resist having a try anyway.... Tis whisky that I want at the end of all this......Any suggestions?
Frank

Postby Tracker » Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:49 pm

I'd suggest, your'e all good to go.
That is the idea, to boil in a lesser quantity of water, then add sugar, water amd yeast etc to the required volume.

Huston, we have lift off.

Cheers.
Tracker

Location: The bit in the middle of the bottom part about 2 hours north of the big smoke.
equipment: Pot still with thumper, doubled up liebig condensers.
2" Bok to clean up mistakes or an oversupply of heads & tails

Postby MacStill » Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:53 pm

Tracker wrote:
Huston, we have lift off.

Cheers.

Yes this is one wash you want to leave some head room in your fermenter with :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby Frank » Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:42 pm

McStill wrote:
Tracker wrote:Huston, we have lift off.
Cheers.

Yes this is one wash you want to leave some head room in your fermenter with :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

Far Canal!!! You guys aint kidding. :laughing-rolling: I pitched the yeast this morning at around 27C and left the lid off completely. Its been foaming and bubbling like a mad dog all day. I can smell it all through the house 8-) (but so too can the wife :naughty: ). This will take less than a week to ferment out at this rate, wont it(?).
Frank

Postby Jimmy1 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:09 am

Frank, I put down a wash last week but didn't leave the lid off or anything of the sorts and it only foamed a bit out of the bubbler (thank god).
But today is its 6th day and im still getting a bubble every three seconds or so, so I hope to run it on friday arvo. In this one I have added a pack of coopers DME and will run it through the pot to chase the elusive scotch flavour :D
Be good to see how it goes.
Jimmy1

equipment: 2" Ultra Pure still ... Like a Boka just expensive
25l electric Boiler
2" Mcstill Pot + parrot
50L keg with 4 ring burner

Postby Jimmy1 » Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:42 am

I only just got around to running my wash today, and as it is coming out of the still it has a definite scotch taste and smell to it. It will need some time on oak to remove the harshness from it but it already seems a winner :D
Jimmy1

equipment: 2" Ultra Pure still ... Like a Boka just expensive
25l electric Boiler
2" Mcstill Pot + parrot
50L keg with 4 ring burner

Postby Al Qaemist » Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:47 am

I have to admit, i was less than impressed with the results of this wash, the wheatgerm is a nice enough drink, and I get the scotch smell - but the taste doesn't live up to the smell - it's very light .

I've re-ran the recipe swapping the wheatgerm out for rye flakes - the resulting drink was much stronger in flavour- I've also been boiling fresh flakes in the backset for using in the next wash to boost the falvour. Definitely one for me to scale up, and have a popper go at.
Al Qaemist

equipment: 2"x39" VM, Pot head
50L 3Kw keg, and Modified T500 boiler.

Postby Frank » Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:41 pm

[quote="Al Qaemist" .....I've re-ran the recipe swapping the wheatgerm out for rye flakes - the resulting drink was much stronger in flavour- .....[/quote]
Hi Al Qaemist
did you swap wg for rye weight for weight or ??
Also, did you still add the malt extract as B4?
Frank

Postby Al Qaemist » Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:42 am

I fucked up frank - there was no malt in the DWWG, only the cornflakes - I put down both washes on the same night and got a little confused\drunk :naughty: The malt worked really well in with the corn flakes btw, and I will be doing it again.

No malt in with the rye, upped the cereal to 700g per 25L wash - and gave it a 2 hour boil until I saw an oily film. It's really nice off the still, and I think it will hold up to oaking well.
Al Qaemist

Postby grumpthehermit » Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:24 pm

G'day guys,

I want to try out this wash next weekend, I got some wheat germ yesterday. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

What does cooking it for 90 minutes achieve ??? I assume it's converting into something but want to understand what is happening when it's boiled. :think:

Cheers
GTH
grumpthehermit

Postby Al Qaemist » Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:32 pm

Its a flavour thing - the short boil is lacking somewhat. I find the boil gets an oilyness to it around the 90 min mark, then I know its done.

Al Q
Al Qaemist

Postby grumpthehermit » Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:47 pm

SO,

If making this wash for a netural, don't boil it ??? :?:

Or only boil for a shorter length of time or just mix up with boiling water and dump straight into the fermenter???

Thanks
GTH
grumpthehermit

Postby Mrs Mac » Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:57 pm

Hi GTH

McStill wrote:When I first started out I used DWWG quite a lot for doing neutrals, it was a really good end result. I believe it's quite nice once run through a pot still too, but have not tried that because my rum and whiskey keeps me busy these days.

Hope the above helps, Just follow the original recipe from the first page of the thread and you will do fine
Mrs Mac
Lifetime Member

equipment: bubble wrap
sticky tape gun
stanley knife

Postby Cane Toad » Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:24 pm

Truth be known,Mrs Mac does all the fermenting and stilling.She'd have to,Mr Mac spends too much time building and spending :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
Cane Toad

equipment: where's my football :(

Postby stubbydrainer » Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:49 pm

Hey Idiot
Nice Signature there buddy :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
stubbydrainer

equipment: 4" perf. plate bubbler,2 1/2" pot with a triple wall liebig,
Small 8L pot for experiments & Gin, 6Kw 80ltr electric boiler , P.I.D/PWM controller
1/2 share with SBB in a 3" boka,

Postby Cane Toad » Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:38 pm

:laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: Well no-one else wanted to step up to the plate :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
AND I do have some idiotic ideas slowly coming to fruition in the shed as we speak,so don't change the fukn channel OK :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Cane Toad

equipment: where's my football :(

Postby grumpthehermit » Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:12 pm

Thanks Mrs Mac,

Curiosity got the better of me so I have just read through all 25 pages of info regarding this wash over on homedistiller.org :think:

From what I read the 90 minute boil is crucial to release nutrients from the wheat germ. :-D

Quite interesting to me is that some people report a vigorous ferment and others say theirs fermented normally with no issues.

Other comments refer to the addition of epsom salts to help stop foam overs. :roll:

I will give this one a go next week as per the recipe as see how it goes, if it bubbles up and out of my fermenter my thoughts are to try again with a reduced amount of wheat germ and see if it still ferments out fully.

Intersted to see how this smells compared to the TPW.

:-D

@ BIG DON .... Can't wait to see what your name changes to next ... :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
grumpthehermit

Postby Frank » Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:34 pm

grumpthehermit wrote:Thanks Mrs Mac,
From what I read the 90 minute boil is crucial to release nutrients from the wheat germ. :-D
Quite interesting to me is that some people report a vigorous ferment and others say theirs fermented normally with no issues. Other comments refer to the addition of epsom salts to help stop foam overs. :roll:
.....Intersted to see how this smells compared to the TPW. :-D
@ BIG DON .... Can't wait to see what your name changes to next ... :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

IMHO I've done a 'fair few' :think: DWWG with a fermenter start temp of between 25-30C and everytime its a vigorous ferment for me. I scaled back to 22l wash (I have 30l fermenters afterall) and I add DME and even toasted cornflakes.... but no epsom salts.... and I know to leave the lid unthreaded/loose for 'the first night'. Then all seems ok and the smell (using Lowans Red bakers yeast anyway) is :handgestures-thumbupleft: .....think walking past a bakery on a rainy day :laughing-rolling: .
BTW I would love to know about the epsom salts 'idea' though (guess I oughta start filter searching :oops: ).

Oh and GTH et al, re Big (?) wait no more :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
Frank

PreviousNext

Return to Recipe Development