Deathwish Wheat Germ DWWG Recipe Discussion

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Re: Deathwish Wheat Germ - DWWG

Postby grumpthehermit » Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:46 pm

Hey Frank.

Yeah I am interested in why this foams up so much. Thinking maybe it's got more nutrients than it needs? Perhaps less wheat germ will still ferment out fully. I will play around and find out. :-D

I am refluxing aiming to make a good netural for maceration's and messing with a SS Whisky Profile kit.

Having said that, a hint of wheaty flavour would not be a bad thing though if it does make it through the still into my demijohn as far as my Whisky is concerned.

;-)

Cupcake ... lol ...

I love the profile pic. :text-lol:
grumpthehermit

Deathwish Wheat Germ - DWWG

Postby Rumdrinker » Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:19 am

I put down an upscaled DWWG yesterday as per the original recipe just with EC-1118 yeast & Fermaid-A nutrient.
Had a look this morning & it was bubbling away nicely with a small layer of foam over the top. Decided to give it a bit of a stir with the 18v drill & agitator I use for stirring washes & it turned into an instant volcano!! I have never seen a wash erupt like this before, much like shaking a bottle of coke & popping the lid....... At least my work shop smells nice now, glad it wasn't a molasses wash.
I'm planning on stripping & running this through the pot still to see how much flavor carries through.
I will be leaving the wash alone until it fully ferments out though, no more stirring..........
Rumdrinker

equipment: Electric & HP gas Keg boilers. 4" pot still for stripping & rum, Bubbler in the making.....

Postby Sam. » Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:20 pm

Does anyone strain off the solids after boiling before adding to fermenter? Seems like there is way too much sediment when charging the still. Or do people charge the still with everything from the fermenter? Just seems like there is several liters of good wash going to waste.
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby grumpthehermit » Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:29 pm

I've only done DWWG twice.

Both times I siphoned from the top with a tube that has a chopstick cable tied to it about 5mm above the sediment level so I don't draw up any muck.

I agree, heaps of waste / liquid left over, I tried gently pouring / tipping it into a jar like I do with the TPW to let it settle out, it didn't really work for me it all just turns in a big porridge mess trying to tip and pour, so I didn't bother.

Cheers
GTH
grumpthehermit

Postby Frank » Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:18 pm

Ditto re siphoning from the top with a tube (sure tastes 'interesting' :laughing-rolling: ).
Obviously, the longer you leave it to ferment, the more the solids etc hug the fermenter base, but there's sure a bit of slurry leftover....
not sure why, but I found if you boil the wheatgerm in water that has already dissolved all the 5/6 kg sugar, it seems to leave less solids etc (at the end of the boil and at the end of the ferment) than if you dissolve the majority of the sugar separately (eg in the fermenter) and just use some with the wheatgerm boil :?
BTW chooks LOVE the leftovers :laughing-rolling:
Frank

Postby Rumdrinker » Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:34 am

Has anyone tried a malted barley or similar variation of DWWG?
The original is top shelf but I'm keen to start experimenting & not too sure where I should start.
Cheers
Rumdrinker

equipment: Electric & HP gas Keg boilers. 4" pot still for stripping & rum, Bubbler in the making.....

Postby NotBenStiller » Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:24 am

faaark that foam was insane.
Started one last nite - I had to siphon some off into a couple demijohns over nite while it settled down.
One of the cats was fascinated with the fizzing and foaming coming out the loose fitted lid :p
NotBenStiller

equipment: 3" DR bok....

Postby Frank » Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:14 pm

@Rumd (and hows things anyway mate?) have you considered using liquid malt and/or dried malt with (or even as a replacement for) the sugar??? I do. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
I've also put ome toasted cornflakes in (slight smell diff but cant pick any taste diff... and a bugger to siphon) and a good teaspoon of bicarb at the start.

I will CERTAINLY be trying malted barley and/or similar in the near future.
Frank

Postby zwagerman9 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:21 pm

Siphon tip - For USJM etc I just have 2 meters beer line, and when I siphon, I have my missus's work stocking (sterilised) and just tie it around the end that goes in the wash and hey presto! might slow down occasionally but it will run and wont fill up with crap! Sorry Mcstill if I'm posting in the wrong place! just delete if so!

Cheers

Rae

Put down 75 litres DWWG
50 litres as recipe mentioned - will strip
25 litres with an added 1kg LDM. - will add stripped and ferment.

LETS SEE HOW IT GOES.

Cheers

Rae (looks more relevant now, so maybe dont delete) Haha
zwagerman9

equipment: Airstill....
2" POT STILL!
2" Dual Slant Plate Bok

Postby Rumdrinker » Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:09 pm

Hey Frank,
I actually put down a variation of a DWWG wash a bit over a week ago which has liquid malt, malted barley, raw sugar, Fermaid A nutrient & EDV-46 yeast which I used for a yeast starter. Wash was at an SG of 1080 at the start & fermentation kicked off very ferocious as usual.
It's still bubbling away ATM, I'll let it finish & give it a while to clear before stripping it through the pot.
Low wines might get run through the pot again or maybe fast through the LM @~85% before oaking on charred, toasted oak.

The first original DWWG that has been on oak for 8 weeks is very nice even though the wheat germ flavor is strong. Goes down nicely just on ice
Cheers
Rumdrinker

Postby squid » Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:42 pm

Going to be giving this a go today. Smells delicious on the boil :handgestures-thumbupleft:
squid

equipment: 2" 50L potstill

Postby adictv » Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:56 pm

As a guide how much head room in the fermenter do you think you need?
adictv

equipment: Turbo 500
McStill Pot Still on T500

Postby MacStill » Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:45 pm

adictv wrote:As a guide how much head room in the fermenter do you think you need?

Fill it to the top mate :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

Leave a good 4" of head room for it and keep an eye on it, it's an aggressive ferment for the first 48 hours.
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby NotBenStiller » Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:54 pm

adictv, i had a 25L wash separated into two fermenters and i still got some over flow :angry-banghead:
would depend on yeast and temps as to what you may experience
NotBenStiller

equipment: 3" DR bok....

Postby adictv » Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:02 pm

I have made an over flow just incase it flows over :pray:
adictv

equipment: Turbo 500
McStill Pot Still on T500

Postby Merlot » Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:10 pm

Okay I have a couple of these on the go at the moment. I know now that I have put too much sugar in. Is there a problem with running a sweet wash?
I appeciate any comments :)
cheers
Merlot

equipment: Still spirits air still....
2 in McStill pot on a 25L SS boiler

Postby Merlot » Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:14 pm

Well I put another down today with the correct amount of sugar, raw this time. Still not getting the legendary start up though. This one's got the extra half a pack of wg left over from the first. It will be interestjng to see :think: I should have plenty to run by the time mcstills pot kit arrives :-bd
Cheers
Merlot

Postby Sam. » Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:21 pm

I did a few of these a while ago and never had a problem with overflow using 60L fermenters with a 50L fill. Can say though have had some of this in two seperate small barrels for 5 months and they are starting to taste quite good :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby Merlot » Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:25 pm

5 months! Not sure I can keep mine that long... but I have got a small barrel... might give bit a go :think:
Merlot

Postby Andy » Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:12 pm

i cooked up a batch of this last friday (this will be my first wash ever).
specific gravity was initially 1.08. It stopped bubbling today so i tested it and its at about 0.990.
how long can I leave the wash before I need to run it through my pot still?
cheers
*edit* also what is meant by leaving it to clear?
Andy

equipment: Copper Potstill on a 50L keg boiler with a 2200w element.
Doesn't get more simple then that

PreviousNext

Return to Recipe Development