Deathwish Wheat Germ DWWG Recipe Discussion

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Re: Deathwish Wheat Germ - DWWG

Postby NotBenStiller » Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:15 pm

No need to leave a wheatgerm - run it when it's ready - i don't think you really leave these to clear - as far as i'm aware you want the wheatgerm in the boiler for the flavour
NotBenStiller

equipment: 3" DR bok....

Postby Kimbo » Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:38 pm

true, it will give you a light Scotch flavour :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby NotBenStiller » Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:43 pm

Andy wrote:...
*edit* also what is meant by leaving it to clear?

clearing is leaving a wash after fermenting is finished to let the yeast and nutrients etc settle to the bottom.
THen you syphon of the 'clear' liquid leaving the yeast int eh fermenter
You do this with TPW or plain ol' sugar wash
NotBenStiller

Postby Andy » Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:44 pm

thanks for the help and info :)
Andy

equipment: Copper Potstill on a 50L keg boiler with a 2200w element.
Doesn't get more simple then that

Postby unsub » Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:01 am

Put one down yesterday to test out in the new plated beast :handgestures-thumbupleft: next weekend. I topped it up to 23l in my 30l fermenter, sat the lid on lightly after I pitched the yeast and although it's not as violent as others have experienced it's still a lot more active than the other washes I have done, it's really foamy and smells terrific. I gently stirred the foam in and screwed the lid down this morning and a couple of hours later I nearly have to top up the air lock with water it's bubbling up so strongly!

I'm hoping the scotchey flavour people talk about with this wash carries over when it's distilled so I can start experimenting with oaking.

Quick question though, it may have been answered already in this thread but would it be worth starting the next batch off with the back set from the previous run? I know the wheat germ in the fermenter would be spent but if I boiled up a fresh batch using the back set from the previous run and added sugar and fresh yeast do you reckon the next run would have more flavour?

cheers

unsub
Last edited by The Stig on Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited to remove unwanted name
unsub

equipment: 4" 5 Plate Column

Postby adictv » Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:44 pm

Does anyone have a guide to cuts with this if using a pot still and after a good scotch flavor. ( I do know about cuts and everything I'm just wondering if anyone has a guide to what they do for this recipe)
:text-thankyoublue:
adictv

equipment: Turbo 500
McStill Pot Still on T500

Postby MacStill » Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:48 pm

viewtopic.php?f=41&t=874#p9951 :handgestures-thumbupleft:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby Andy » Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:08 pm

adictv wrote:Does anyone have a guide to cuts with this if using a pot still and after a good scotch flavor. ( I do know about cuts and everything I'm just wondering if anyone has a guide to what they do for this recipe)

I ran this for the first time the other day (and my first run ever) and I was absolutely amazed at the different taste between all the cuts. I did about 300ml cuts and all of them tasted completely different. I found the tails to be more flavorsome and full bodied so I used more of them then the heads. Its just a personal preference thing though
Andy

equipment: Copper Potstill on a 50L keg boiler with a 2200w element.
Doesn't get more simple then that

Postby Sam. » Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:23 pm

adictv wrote:Does anyone have a guide to cuts with this if using a pot still and after a good scotch flavor. ( I do know about cuts and everything I'm just wondering if anyone has a guide to what they do for this recipe)

As far as I know for scotch what the big boys usually do is take from 80% down to whatever percentage that particular distillery does. Apparently Glenmorangie is unique as they only go to 60% (would explain why its so fucking expensive) a lot of others will go down to 40% I believe, again like said it is a personal taste thing. Try blending a few small batches from your cuts and see how you go :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby adictv » Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:27 pm

Thanks ill give it a go and try a few different things
adictv

Postby adictv » Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:15 pm

Gave this a go and I have to say I was hoping for a lot better product ill let it sit on oak for a bit and see how she goes
adictv

Postby Camikaze » Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:20 pm

What aren't you liking about your product mate?
Camikaze

equipment: The 'Lamb-cannon' 4" stainless modular hybrid on a keg, shottie-cooled with 185,000 btu up its arse

Postby NotBenStiller » Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:38 pm

Yer - need more info if you want help getting better product adictv.
did you do stripping run then spirit run?
Reflux or pot?
Maybe your expectations need adjusting :laughing-rolling:
NotBenStiller

Postby adictv » Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:10 pm

I did stripping runs then 1 big spirit run using a pot still.
Yes I would have to say I need to change my expectations haha I was hoping for a really nice scotch flavor but seems to be very weak but as I said I'll put it on some oak and see how she goes :handgestures-thumbupleft:
I will have to say it is soooooo easy and ferments very fast not like waiting for a TPW :laughing-rolling:
adictv

Deathwish Wheat Germ - DWWG

Postby Sam. » Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:19 pm

Why do you reckon they need to have it in a barrel for years before they can sell it as whisky. If they could get it great straight off the still they sure as fuck would be selling that straight away!

All about patience
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby Merlot » Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:04 pm

sam_and_liv wrote:Why do you reckon they need to have it in a barrel for years before they can sell it as whisky. If they could get it great straight off the still they sure as fuck would be selling that straight away!

All about patience

Well I've just been drinkin mine thats been on the oak for four days :)) and its real nice... mmmm better than the best of the hearts that I left white! Its got a nice light colour and I bet any scotch and coke drinkers would love it... :smile:

Cheers
Merlot

equipment: Still spirits air still....
2 in McStill pot on a 25L SS boiler

Postby Merlot » Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:09 pm

Ran my second spirit run last night and have about 5 L at 65 abv on bourbon chips... tastes good already! Tasted good last night too :oops:

But the rum wash I put down tonight is just so much easier... no 80 mins of cooking. :roll:
Cheers
Merlot

equipment: Still spirits air still....
2 in McStill pot on a 25L SS boiler

Postby kobold » Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:32 am

according to original post by deathwish, dwwg is supposed to be potstilled only once, slowly. a rule of thumb for a 20-25l wash is to cut after a cup of heads and collect the hearts down to 50% or even 40% if the taste is okay, and then collect feints to 10%.

this is what i did tonight and got 3l of 62% really great tasting and smelling booze. dropped in some oak chips for two weeks and two used staves for long term aging. i will start sampling after a week.
for this batch i used distilled water that was sitting in my brand new charred oak barrel for two days (to seal it up). my next batch is with 500 grams of peated barley malt. i will blend the two heart cuts for some faint but hopefully complex smoke character.

edit: anyone tried adding a bit of sherry and/or maple syrup to this? i think i will.
kobold

equipment: air still, 3"pot still

Postby kobold » Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:11 am

dwwg is like making pizza, when everything in the fridge is fair game. only had 2.8kg sugar, but found 760g old dex and a kilo of dme, mashed a bit of barley, added backset and voila, bubbling at 80bpm.

peated barley, backset and two bottles of rum feints added to the boiler made this *much* better than the original recipe with maple syrup and sherry. worth playing with for sure.
kobold

equipment: air still, 3"pot still

Postby Boomgate » Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:39 pm

With a reflux still does it take out too much of the flavour for there to be any point or does it come out scotch'ish?
Boomgate

equipment: 25L Ultra Pure Reflux.

PreviousNext

Return to Recipe Development