Pugirum Recipe Discussion

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Pugirum Recipe Discussion

Postby TJM » Sun May 27, 2012 12:28 am

I done a few batches of this around christmas time ending up with 5L ageing on some toasted french oak ex wine barrel. The first month or two i wasnt a massive fan mainly because of how heavy and mollasy it was still but now after nearly 6 months its great and i wish i had more. It tastes less like mollases and more like a full bodied rum if that makes sense. I will definatly be doing more soon.

This thread has been started for any one wishing to discuss the making of Pugirum. The original Tried and Proven recipe can be found in the Tried and Proven section of the forum or by clicking HERE
TJM

Re: Pugirum

Postby R-sole » Sun May 27, 2012 6:27 am

That's the funny thing about rum, it seems to need a lot more age than bourbon to come good.
R-sole

equipment: Keg based pot stiller. 3" vm for occasionally making product for macerations and redistillation.

Postby APLF » Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:12 pm

Hi
I was wondering at what temperature your still sits at in the beginning and what temperatures your noticing the heads change to hearts and tails etc. I know every still is different but it would be good to have an idea around when to really pay attention during the run?
Thanks
APLF

equipment: 50lt SS boiler with reflux and pot attachments

Postby Dominator » Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:49 pm

andrew wrote:Hi
I was wondering at what temperature your still sits at in the beginning and what temperatures your noticing the heads change to hearts and tails etc. I know every still is different but it would be good to have an idea around when to really pay attention during the run?
Thanks

Mate , running this through a pot still, there really is no need to be taking temperature readings. For me, and you will find pretty much everyone on this forum, I don't make my cuts until I have aired my spirit for 24-48 hours, I find my hooch mellows quite a bit with some air. I guess once you have a few runs of this particular recipe under your belt you might be able to predict where your cuts are going to be but remember, any little change in the recipe (take note the ph of your dunder will change as you increase generations) will change where your cuts are goings to be. It would take a whole lot of experience to be able to make good cuts on the fly. I suggest collecting the whole spirit run from go to whoa in 250-350ml jars, covering with a cloth or paper towel and then leave for a day or two. And take a look here: Guide To Cuts

Also it would be good if you could drop into the intro section, say hello and let us know what your about.
Dominator

equipment: 2" Pot Still/Hybrid
4" Perf Plate Bubbler
50L Keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements

Postby ozybottler » Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:12 pm

I know what you mean about mop my laundry was coated in black shit :laughing-rolling: mrs freaked out :laughing-rolling: but I had to clean :angry-banghead:
ozybottler

equipment: reflux still and pot still

Postby Dominator » Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:19 pm

ozybottler wrote:I know what you mean about mop my laundry was coated in black shit :laughing-rolling: mrs freaked out :laughing-rolling: but I had to clean :angry-banghead:

:laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: Another one bites the dust! :teasing-nutkick:
Dominator

equipment: 2" Pot Still/Hybrid
4" Perf Plate Bubbler
50L Keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements

Postby ozybottler » Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:46 pm

i still got a fine drop :happy-partydance: very good :music-deathmetal:
ozybottler

equipment: reflux still and pot still

Re: Pugirum Recipe Discussion

Postby bluc » Tue Sep 22, 2015 7:47 pm

Lots of interesting stuff in this recipe. Especially the bit about the rum oils :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby nuddy » Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:13 pm

Am I assuming correctly from reading the recipe that this is run through a pot still?
nuddy

equipment: 2" bokabob
4" blockhead bubbler build in progress

Postby EziTasting » Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:38 pm

nuddy wrote:Am I assuming correctly from reading the recipe that this is run through a pot still?

I wouldn't think that that would affect the flavour too much. Pot still you'd distill it twice, bubbler you would do it once ... Different tools for different methods...
EziTasting

equipment: Newbie - Keg Boiler & 4" 4 plate glasser

Postby JayTee » Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:59 pm

Would DAP be an suitable replacement for the 20-0-0 agricultural fertilizer?
JayTee

equipment: 4 plate bubbler

Postby bluc » Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:37 pm

Think dap is 20-0-0 :-B
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby Sam. » Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:53 pm

Ag fertilizer is definitely different, it's usually brown. Probably has other shit in it.

The DAP for wine/beer etc from a HBS is white.
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby JayTee » Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:23 am

JayTee

Postby JayTee » Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:32 am

One other question about sweetening please, as I'm a newbie when it comes to rum! The recipe states:

"To the full strength spirt run distillant I add:
One slice of pinapple per gallon
2 cloves per gallon
1/2 ounce of raisens per gallon
leave for a month shaking every now and then.
Cut to proof
I use home made carmalized sugar to color. Do not burn the camalized sugar but do make sure it colors up good. I have tried molasses but prefer the carmelized sugar"

I've read that the effect of even 1g of sugar per litre of rum is quite significant. I like the idea of a slice of pineapple as per recipe but note that caramelised sugar is also used as a colouring agent. Doesn't this make the rum *really* sweet? i.e. too sweet to feel any burn at all. (I will of course experiment myself, but I've just got time for 1 rum batch in time for my big birthday bash, so I'd like to make a decent show of it to my mates!) :D
JayTee

Return to Recipe Development