Wineos Plain Ol Sugar Wash Recipe Discussion

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Re: Wineos Plain Ol Sugar Wash Recipe Discussion

Postby StillSober » Sat Oct 18, 2014 4:06 pm

I'm currently brewing a recipe very close to WPOSW.
I'm using Ammonia sulphate instead of DAP and I've used a dose of Wyeast nutrient but no gypsum.
It's bubbling away nicely and the hydrometer readings are reflecting the partially complete fermentation.

My question is: is it possible to top up the fermenter when I've taken most of the wash to be distilled and have a yeasty sludge remaining in the bottom of the fermenter?
If so, what nutrient components of the recipe should I include (as well as the sugar, naturally)?
StillSober

equipment: None yet

Postby BIG D » Sat Oct 18, 2014 4:14 pm

Hey Ss the practice your suggesting is referred to as generations and is pretty much necessary for flavoured washes with the addition of some stillage. However your chasing neutral spirit with little or no flavour so start fresh each time to avoid any unwanted flavours :handgestures-thumbupleft:
BIG D

equipment: 50l keg 2400w element , fsd neutralizer 5 plate packed section, Big arse 8"fsd Mc thumper and various other stuff

Postby StillSober » Sat Oct 18, 2014 4:17 pm

Cool, it's not like it's going to break the bank on a little bakers yeast each time.
Thanks.
StillSober

equipment: None yet

Postby Urrazeb » Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:54 pm

BIG D wrote:Hey Ss the practice your suggesting is referred to as generations and is pretty much necessary for flavoured washes with the addition of some stillage. However your chasing neutral spirit with little or no flavour so start fresh each time to avoid any unwanted flavours :handgestures-thumbupleft:

:text-imwithstupid: :text-+1:
Urrazeb

equipment: Column & pot

Postby woodduck » Sat Dec 13, 2014 12:55 pm

There hasn't been alot of discussion on this recipe is that because not many use it or because it's really good and simple to do and no one has any complaints :laughing-rolling:

I'm wondering if this recipe would suit single runs through my still with 5 plates and packed section as there doesn't seem to be anything in it with too much flavour. I've had success with the TPW on my boka but I'm now having to strip it first then put it though the bubbler to try clean it up that bit more.

Has anyone had success with this recipe with single runs through a bubbler?

I'm thinking i might throw down a 30 ltr batch and test it out.

I'll let you all know how it goes. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby MacStill » Sun Dec 14, 2014 7:07 pm

Never ran it through a bubbler mate, but did use this recipe a few times in my early days of pot stripping and the 3" boka I had...... it made a great neutral :handgestures-thumbupleft:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby woodduck » Sun Dec 14, 2014 7:28 pm

How did it compare to the TPW mac? I'm guessing it's probably not a sipping vodka and more for flavored infusions etc.
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby MacStill » Sun Dec 14, 2014 7:37 pm

Geez mate I cant remember to be honest, I never really drank neutral and only used it for infusions and macerations..... I do remember making a very nice pineapple schnapps from it tho :handgestures-thumbupleft:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby woodduck » Sun Dec 14, 2014 8:31 pm

Thanks mac.

I only really use neutral for the G-dropper now anyway so no need for it to be a great sipping vodka. Although when i get around to finishing my carter head i may need it for gin and some infusions. But I'm sure it will be ok for that by the sound of it.

To be honest I'd like to get away from the TPW mainly for the smell of it. I find the wash and the tails are a bit off putting, not that the final product has any smell it's just working with it beforehand.

I'll give this one a go and see what i get. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
woodduck
Lifetime Member

Postby Psykamaholik » Wed Apr 20, 2016 4:27 pm

Just put down 2 of these and they are bubbling away furiously, just the way I like it.

per 25L wash I did:
teaspoon DAP
teaspoon Gypsum
Teaspoon citric acid
pinch of epsom salts
100g (1/2 cup) lowans yeast
SG was 1.065

I'll be interested to see what I get out of each wash
Psykamaholik

equipment: Fusel express super reflux still

Postby Sam. » Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:54 pm

Psykamaholik wrote:Just put down 2 of these and they are bubbling away furiously, just the way I like it.

per 25L wash I did:
teaspoon DAP
teaspoon Gypsum
Teaspoon citric acid
pinch of epsom salts
100g (1/2 cup) lowans yeast
SG was 1.065

I'll be interested to see what I get out of each wash

Put any sugar in? :teasing-tease:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby Psykamaholik » Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:02 pm

Pfft! what do ya need sugar for?! :laughing-rolling:

Might have sprinkled in about 4kg of sugar, for good measure ya know ;-)
Psykamaholik

Postby Psykamaholik » Mon May 02, 2016 1:52 pm

Decided to still one of these today, the SG is only at 1.010 and it has definitely finished fermenting. Going by the calculators I've only got about 7% in the 24L in the fermenter meaning about 1.6L of alcohol in there. I know we are going for quality over quantity here, but that doesn't seem right.

The fermenter has been in a temperature controlled fridge set to 25*C (+/- 2*C).

Have I fermented this at too low of a temperature? Fermentation has most definitely stopped (airlock has stopped, no fizzing with your ear to it and gone cold)

Any suggestions what may have gone wrong?
Psykamaholik

Postby Zzpop » Mon May 02, 2016 2:03 pm

Sounds a bit light on the dap I did a couple of these and had the same reduced yields .Next time I will try 2x tablespoons
Zzpop

equipment: Boka and pot
4" 4 perf plate column +50lt boiler

Postby Psykamaholik » Wed May 04, 2016 12:18 pm

Keep us posted how that goes, it does seem as though not all the sugar is getting used in my washes.

I've basically done the same thing as Kal back on page 1, I just don't understand why I'm getting poor yield out of it (after cuts I ended up with 1L @ 65% hearts).
There is another wash sitting ready to be stilled (maybe a tomorrow job) but I'm reluctant to make this one again with such poor results. My first batch all I put in was DAP, sugar, yeast and a sprinkle of citric acid and figured I got a bad yield from not following the destructions properly, but then to get a bad yield from following destructions this time has me a bit baffled.
Psykamaholik

Postby WTDist » Wed May 04, 2016 12:50 pm

yea its a destructive wash 8-}
WTDist

equipment: Building a 4" bubbler with 8" glass thumper

Postby Baz » Mon May 09, 2016 6:47 pm

I love this wash. Although new to this forum I have ran this wash a few times and there is a tweak for anyone struggling with stalling.

Even when the recipe is followed as closely as one can, it has a massive PH drop which effects it and everyones water is different. Your starting PH will vary greatly given the water you use.

The first time I made this my starting PH was 5.2 so I'm right in the zone and happy that. Within 36hrs PH was 3.2 and activity was slowing. I could smell the acidity when I opened the fermenter.

If your struggling with stalling on this wash just check Ph and add calcium to get the PH near 4.5+ and it will take off again and finish quickly.

A calibrated digital PH meter is important getting this wash right to begin with, but it's a beauty for a neutral. Plus you get to drink fertiliser which Mum never allowed me to do. :))
Baz

equipment: SS Pot Still

Postby 9fingers » Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:11 pm

Went into my local HBS and the closest thing to DAP they had was "Wine Nutrient by Vintners Harvest". I'm guessing it should ok to use, anyone heard of it?
9fingers

equipment: Essencia Express Condensor

Postby prawnz » Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:52 pm

Why not just substitute the DAP for Tomato Paste then .......Oh , wait.
prawnz

equipment: SS Super Reflux with home made 2in 800mm packed extension with RC coil built in .

Postby Sam. » Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:53 pm

9fingers wrote:Went into my local HBS and the closest thing to DAP they had was "Wine Nutrient by Vintners Harvest". I'm guessing it should ok to use, anyone heard of it?

It would be a yeast nutrient of some kind, would definitley help.

How about dropping into the welcome centre for a proper intro mate :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

PreviousNext

Return to Recipe Development