Mac's Bourbon Whiskey Knock Off (BWKO) Discussion

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Re: My bourbon whiskey knock off recipe

Postby R-sole » Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:36 pm

McStill wrote:I think if it's got preservatives in it you might as well use it for chook food, this souring thing doesnt make sense to me, you get the sour in sour mash from adding backset through a number of generations and the corn sours in the wash anyway.

Give it a whirl, you'll definately get it once you've smelt the stages :lol: :lol:

It may or may not be to your liking, but it's not like ujsm.

CanReallyTasteTheDifferenceTooPunkin
R-sole

equipment: Keg based pot stiller. 3" vm for occasionally making product for macerations and redistillation.

Postby reknaw » Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:55 pm

kimbo wrote:
got a mouthful of wash

did you do that on purpose? :lol:

It wasn't on purpose but it didn't taste to bad actually, it has been sitting for ages and had cleared nicely :)
reknaw

Postby MacStill » Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:44 pm

5Star wrote:
McStill wrote:I think if it's got preservatives in it you might as well use it for chook food, this souring thing doesnt make sense to me, you get the sour in sour mash from adding backset through a number of generations and the corn sours in the wash anyway.

Give it a whirl, you'll definately get it once you've smelt the stages :lol: :lol:

It may or may not be to your liking, but it's not like ujsm.

CanReallyTasteTheDifferenceTooPunkin

I dont drink bourbon, whiskey or whatever it's called, I only make it for the mrs and she likes this recipe.... nice n easy and I get to concentrate on my rum :mrgreen: I make lots of rum, but not spiced or anything just oaked rum and it's yummy
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby derek1806 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:33 pm

Hi there, need some help. I have made knock off burbon recipe ( 25 litre ) and i have no idea how many grams of yeast should i use. I have Lalvin ec 1118 dry wine yeast. Is this yeast any good for adding to a corn mash ? I have been told at the shop that 50 grams of this yeast is for 200 litres. is that right ? Many thanks
derek1806

Postby Kimbo » Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:32 pm

Hi Derek,
for a 25 litre wash, one packet of that stuff should be fine ;)
Oh, and save the "yeast cake" at the bottom of your fermenter for next time ;)
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby derek1806 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:48 pm

Hi, should i use whole 50g pack for 25litre wash ???? Thanks
derek1806

Postby R-sole » Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:55 pm

No mate, a 5 gram pack or one teaspoon out of your 50 gm pack.
R-sole

equipment: Keg based pot stiller. 3" vm for occasionally making product for macerations and redistillation.

Postby derek1806 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:27 pm

thanks
derek1806

Re: Tomato paste wash

Postby Johnboy1234 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:02 am

McStill wrote:
TPW (birdwatchers recipe) is probably the most simple effective way of making a vodka/neutral, if you want a bourbon or rum type drink your better off following other recipes designed to do just that without adding brew shop essences.

Cheers.

I am interested in trying a bourbon recipe as I have just been using TPW with brew shop flavouring, I see your bourbon knockoff recipe. It seems like it is a lot more work, is it worth the extra work?

Also when you say you use litres to measure the grains instead of weight, does that mean you get say a 1 litre bottle or jug and fill it up with grain till it reaches 1 litre? Also what do you use to boil 20l of water?
Johnboy1234

equipment: Euro 30-2 25L column reflux still

Postby bradsgonetrekkin » Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:31 am

[quote="Johnboy1234"]
I am interested in trying a bourbon recipe as I have just been using TPW with brew shop flavouring, I see your bourbon knockoff recipe. It seems like it is a lot more work, is it worth the extra work?quote]

Johnboy it is definately worth the effort! If you compare this type of moonshine with the vodka and flavouring you will know why. Mate its really not that hard to do either, takes a little longer is all. The biggest thing I find is having enough storage space for the stripped and final product!

Re the quantities of grains etc its not that critical kg/litre jug/ whatever. I used to measure exact wieghts but now I just fill up a large ss mixing bowl with the corn to start, then roughly replace the volume of spent corn that I remove. Its a pretty forgiving style of wash.

If you like bourbon try it and you won't go back to essences!
bradsgonetrekkin

equipment: 18 gallon (80litre) ss keg boiler with 2400w and 1200w elements
65-50-35-19mm copper pot head/ stripper
2m high 65-50mm copper vapour management column with cross flow condensor head
630mm long 3/4 over 1/2 inch leibig and 32mm outer, 1/2 inch inner 'double barrel' interchangable condensors

Postby R-sole » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:22 pm

Using malt barley in ujsm style washes 9like this) works wonders for the flavour. Gives a little conversion sometimes too.

I would definately reccomend replacing the barley content tin this recipe with malted barley.
R-sole

Postby Johnboy1234 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:55 pm

Thanks for the replies guys, you have me convinced now, just one thing, where's the best place to buy
2L cracked corn
1L wheat
1L barley
Johnboy1234

Postby Johnboy1234 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:57 pm

Johnboy1234 wrote:Thanks for the replies guys, you have me convinced now, just one thing, where's the best place to buy
2L cracked corn
1L wheat
1L barley

I mean MALT barley
Johnboy1234

Postby QLD.Andy » Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:03 pm

Johnboy1234 wrote: just one thing, where's the best place to buy
2L cracked corn
1L wheat
1L barley

Try your local produce store.
QLD.Andy

equipment: Still Spirits T500 with Copper Mesh
McStill made Copper Parrot
McStill made Copper Pot Still

Postby R-sole » Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:18 pm

HBS if you'r in a big city for that stuff.

Produce store will sell it by the bag (cept the malt). Definately the best way to buy it, but you need to be prepared for storage ect.

20-40 kg bags. But less than $1 a kg.
R-sole

Postby SBB » Sat Jul 30, 2011 8:39 am

About to take another step forth in this adventure. This morning Im off to get the ingredients for my first UJSM. The corn and wheat are not a problem, were do I get malted barley???...hombrew shop or make it my self?? Anyone got suggestions on cheap vitamin B tablets???
SBB
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby R-sole » Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:32 am

You don't need extra neuts for this stuff, the grain will neutrify the wash. HBS is by far the best palce to get malt barley. You just want a neutral flavoured base malt, an ale or pilsener malt. Ask them to crack it roughly for you if you don't have a mill.
R-sole

Postby SBB » Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:44 pm

Just put down my first UJSM type wash, is it as important to try and maintain a steady temp with this as it is with neutral washes??? Im guessing the happier you keep the yeast the better the final product. On the other hand If Im using the same yeast for 5 or more generations its eventually got to be subject to some pretty wide temp fluctuations as time goes by :?: :?:
SBB
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby R-sole » Sat Jul 30, 2011 6:17 pm

Don't sweat the small stuff :lol: :lol: 8-)
R-sole

Postby SBB » Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:55 pm

At last the two UJSM washes I got going on the 30 July have finished bubbling....lots slower than I thought they would be....having said that I didn't use any heating until a couple of days ago and its been pretty cold. Hopefully I'll get to strip them tomorrow night. I'm wondering if there is any advantage to throwing the replacement grains into the hot dunder along with the sugar to start softening them up a bit before I add it back to the fermenters?
SBB
Lifetime Member

PreviousNext

Return to Recipe Development