Mac's Bourbon Whiskey Knock Off (BWKO) Discussion

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Re: My bourbon whiskey knock off recipe

Postby SBB » Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:58 pm

My two 30L UJSMs are bout to hit third generation. these two are fermenting on Lowans bakers yeast. I want to get a 3rd 30L ferment going using 5Star yeast.
My plan is to take a third of the grains from each of the two original ferments, add that grain and some fresh to the new fermenter, tip hot dunder in to kill the existing yeast. then when it cools kick it off with Punkins yeast.
The question is, will what Im doing work, and will it have the flavor of the two third generations???
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby Kimbo » Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:36 pm

Hi mate,
being new to this myself, i would continue with the way you started (the lees and dunder),
then start again with the new yeast.
this way you can see the differences and variables, this makes it easier to see what changes you want to make ;)
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby R-sole » Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:23 am

If the backset was boiling when you tipped it in i reckon it'd work, leave it for an hour or so before you tip in the sugar and cool water and then pitch yeast.

I think with these ujsm type things the yeast eventually mutates to be a house yeast. Not sure how long that takes or how many generations of yeasties are born and die in a single gen of wash, but i sometimes imagine i do. :lol: :geek:
R-sole

equipment: Keg based pot stiller. 3" vm for occasionally making product for macerations and redistillation.

Postby SBB » Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:14 pm

Looks like this idea has worked added the sugar and water and after 6 hours still no sign of life.......added the 5Star yeast and away it went. It remains to be seen if the new ferment will have the flavor and smell of the original 3rd generation batches
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby MacStill » Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:17 pm

With the lees and backset & grain from the last generation I reckon it'll be fine, I doubt you'll suffer any loss of flavor what so ever ;)
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby Kimbo » Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:31 pm

I did a stripping run of UJ on monday night, tuesday i let the wash get a little too hot under the lights and blankets (35.5deg) bugger me, i've never seen a wash so happy its bubbling away like a fast ferment rum.
(although, i did put a pinch of epsom salts in it)
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby SBB » Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:31 pm

Im now going into my 7th generation of this wash, 3x 30L fermenters going. Two of these are running on the same Lowans Bakers Yeast I kicked them off with. The the third fermenter is powered by 5Star yeast. One thing Ive noticed but cant explain is that the 5Star yeast is slower to get going after water, dunder, sugar, and fresh grain is added for the next generation. Sometimes it sits for 24 hours with little to no action.....then it slowly starts working. The Lowens takes off again in a matter of hours. All is not lost however...somehow the 5Star yeast catches up and is finished doing its job a few days before the Lowans.
Now for the question I was gunna ask before getting side tracked.
The grains Im using in this now consist of 50% cracked corn, 25% whole wheat, 25% cracked malted barley, Im pretty happy with what Ive got aging at the moment, but am wondering if I might get even more flavour if I crack or crush the wheat , and break the corn up a bit finer.
SBB
Lifetime Member

Postby torry73 » Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:25 pm

Have you tried boiling up the grains before adding them to see if there is a better flavor and starch convertion.
torry73

equipment: 2" DR Boka- reflux/pot combo
1.5" reflux cm
2" pot still
50 litre boiler on gas

Postby Cane Toad » Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:33 am

Hey fellas,just stripping 2nd gen UJ,been a bit slack and left it for about 4-5 weeks since it finished fermenting,the question I pose is,will the yeasties still be alive? Just dissolved some sugar in warm water and tipped in a scoop of grains out of the fermenter,see if it works or not....or am I wasting my time :think:
Cane Toad

equipment: where's my football :(

Postby not alan jones » Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:09 pm

Big Don wrote:Hey fellas,just stripping 2nd gen UJ,been a bit slack and left it for about 4-5 weeks since it finished fermenting,the question I pose is,will the yeasties still be alive? Just dissolved some sugar in warm water and tipped in a scoop of grains out of the fermenter,see if it works or not....or am I wasting my time :think:

I recently did a similar thing with mine, left it for about 3 weeks or so and I had the same doubts as you regarding the yeast.
Mine fired back up, but maybe it was a little slower than usual to get going.
not alan jones

equipment: super reflux and pot

Postby Cane Toad » Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:19 pm

Cheers mate that's tha answer I was looking for,the yeast I've got going now is 12 generations old,so don't want to loose em :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Cane Toad

Postby R-sole » Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:30 pm

Mine sits for months at a time waiting for me.
R-sole

equipment: Keg based pot stiller. 3" vm for occasionally making product for macerations and redistillation.

Postby Cane Toad » Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:36 pm

Cool
Cane Toad

Postby Cane Toad » Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:42 pm

Shit! Bertha looks like a horse pissin during a stripping run :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
Cane Toad

Postby Tinepole » Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:30 pm

This may seem a dumb question but I have plenty of them. I am assuming your receive is divided by two for two fermenter containers or is that recipe for one 30 liter container.
Tinepole

equipment: Mcstill built pot 2 x 2200 elements.

Postby Cane Toad » Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:42 am

Hi Tinepole,the recepie at the start of this thread is for 1 30l fermenter
Cheers
Cane Toad

Postby victorski » Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:28 am

Howdy everyone, I'm about to put down my first batch of this bourbon knockoff recipe but just wanted to clarify a few things first.

I've got cracked corn and some wheat from the produce store, does the wheat need to be rolled or ground for this recipe?
Does malted barley make a noticeable difference in flavour ?
Also if adding the hot backset back into the fermenter, won't this kill the yeast or do you add another 5g of yeast to start it up again ?

Kind regards,
Victor
victorski

equipment: 2.5" Pot Still with 50L Keg Boiler

Postby erehwon » Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:41 pm

Went to the stock produce people to day and I noticed that that the cracked corn etc was very dusty would it benefit any by being rinsed under cold water to clean it up so that all you have is grains. They also sell molasses at $1/litre is that cheap or should I look else where?

Another question is that with each generation what you take out of the lees you put back into the hot dunder to invert the starch into sugar?

How much sugar do you put into the beginning of each generation is it the full 3.5 kg or part thereof to substitute starch which is turned into sugar?
erehwon

equipment: 30l fermentation vat, alcohol meter, airstill

Postby MacStill » Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:31 pm

victorski wrote:Howdy everyone, I'm about to put down my first batch of this bourbon knockoff recipe but just wanted to clarify a few things first.

I've got cracked corn and some wheat from the produce store, does the wheat need to be rolled or ground for this recipe?
Does malted barley make a noticeable difference in flavour ?
Also if adding the hot backset back into the fermenter, won't this kill the yeast or do you add another 5g of yeast to start it up again ?

Kind regards,
Victor

You dont get much conversion of starches from a wash like this, the grain is just added for flavor, crushing or rolling wheat wont hurt but it's not really needed.

Use a separate bucket to invert your sugar, pour it back in the fermenter on your lees once the temp is right... you might need to wait a few hours ;-)

While your running your wash & waiting for your backset and sugar to cool just add enough cool water to keep the lees (active yeast) happy.
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby MacStill » Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:36 pm

erehwon wrote:Went to the stock produce people to day and I noticed that that the cracked corn etc was very dusty would it benefit any by being rinsed under cold water to clean it up so that all you have is grains. They also sell molasses at $1/litre is that cheap or should I look else where?

Another question is that with each generation what you take out of the lees you put back into the hot dunder to invert the starch into sugar?

How much sugar do you put into the beginning of each generation is it the full 3.5 kg or part thereof to substitute starch which is turned into sugar?

Price sounds ok for molasses but it depends where you are in relation to cane growing areas.

You put the hot backset and sugar together to invert the sugar, there's very little to gain by trying to invert starches from this wash... the grain is only added for flavor.

3.5kg of sugar for each generation.

Cheers.
MacStill
Lifetime Member

PreviousNext

Return to Recipe Development