Mac's Bourbon Whiskey Knock Off (BWKO) Discussion

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Re: Mac's Bourbon Whiskey Knock Off (BWKO) Discussion

Postby Doubleuj » Sun Jun 11, 2017 7:46 am

They'll be fine, there will be enough co2 left to displace any oxygen.
Would only be a problem if you left it open for months.
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" stainless glasser

Postby copperhead road » Sun Jun 11, 2017 7:55 am

Doubleuj wrote:They'll be fine, there will be enough co2 left to displace any oxygen.
Would only be a problem if you left it open for months.

Cool, thanks Doubleuj.
So lucky because I was about to start siphoning over the side lawn and watering the mango tree. I've over prepared myself by having everything ready for sac run followed by some huge stripping runs, with equipment still yet to arrive
Thanx again :handgestures-thumbupleft:
copperhead road

equipment: Full industrial grade copper 25 gallon short can 4" pot with 10 gallon expansion chamber and gin basket, 3" Gatlon gun condenser (gas flame)

Postby warramungas » Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:11 am

If you're worried pour 1/2 a liter of dissolved boiled sugar syrup in there. It'll generate some fresh co2.
I've done this in the past for a big wash after I disturbed it just to be on the safe side.
warramungas

equipment: 180 litre fermenter x 2
30 liter boiler
PDA-1
2" four plate modular bubbler
2" one meter long LM column
110 liter boiler with 25 liter (max) inline thumper
4" x 4 plate bubble cap still

Postby copperhead road » Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:36 am

Can anyone help with the first question in my post about the difference between using wheat and barley uncracked from produce store opposed to malted barley and cracked wheat. Is the only for better flavour as I only used stuff straight from the feed store. (Had no milling machine) :handgestures-thumbupleft:
copperhead road

equipment: Full industrial grade copper 25 gallon short can 4" pot with 10 gallon expansion chamber and gin basket, 3" Gatlon gun condenser (gas flame)

Postby EziTasting » Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:29 am

copperhead road wrote:Can anyone help with the first question in my post about the difference between using wheat and barley uncracked from produce store opposed to malted barley and cracked wheat. Is the only for better flavour as I only used stuff straight from the feed store. (Had no milling machine) :handgestures-thumbupleft:

I've not done this recipe but the addition of malted barley is (usually) for the sole purpose of converting the starches into sugars that the yeastybeasties can consume to make the alcohol! Kinda the purpose of the malted Barley. It does lend some flavour as well.... The wheat, as I understand it, is predominantly for flavouring...

SO to take out the Malted barley means you'd have to add in enzymes...
EziTasting

equipment: Newbie - Keg Boiler & 4" 4 plate glasser

Postby wait for it » Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:35 am

EziTasting wrote:
copperhead road wrote:Can anyone help with the first question in my post about the difference between using wheat and barley uncracked from produce store opposed to malted barley and cracked wheat. Is the only for better flavour as I only used stuff straight from the feed store. (Had no milling machine) :handgestures-thumbupleft:

I've not done this recipe but the addition of malted barley is (usually) for the sole purpose of converting the starches into sugars that the yeastybeasties can consume to make the alcohol! Kinda the purpose of the malted Barley. It does lend some flavour as well.... The wheat, as I understand it, is predominantly for flavouring...

This recipe doesnt use malted grains. it uses sugar and regular corn barley and wheat
wait for it

equipment: borrowed air still sometimes

Postby copperhead road » Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:41 am

wait for it wrote:
EziTasting wrote:

This recipe doesnt use malted grains. it uses sugar and regular corn barley and wheat

That's the way I perceived it also "wait for it" because it's a sugarhead and not AG :handgestures-thumbupleft:
copperhead road

Postby EziTasting » Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:50 am

Then my point is mute.
EziTasting

equipment: Newbie - Keg Boiler & 4" 4 plate glasser

Postby Plumby » Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:59 am

I find you get flavour quicker with cracked/milled grain as apposed to whole.
Plumby

equipment: 50 litre keg boiler with a 2200watt element and a 2 inch pot still called Shaniqua with a 32mm over 19mm 800mm long liebig condenser attached.

Postby copperhead road » Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:33 pm

I seem to be getting different start Sg readings :think: following the recipe the same using the same quantity of sugar just up scaling the whole thing.
What is the standard sg starting range as per recipe for BWKO ?
copperhead road

Postby Sparrow » Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:46 pm

copperhead road wrote:I seem to be getting different start Sg readings :think: following the recipe the same using the same quantity of sugar just up scaling the whole thing.
What is the standard sg starting range as per recipe for BWKO ?

What are you doing with your washes while you're waiting for your still?
Sparrow

equipment: 4 plate bubbler on a 50l keg boiler.

Postby scottyd72 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:53 am

can this recipe be run thru a liquid management reflux still? or will the LM reflux strip out the flavour? I'd love to try this one but I only have a reflux....
scottyd72

equipment: Bokakob LM reflux with homemade cooling coil. Building a 3" bubbler...

Postby Plumby » Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:31 am

You can but like you say it will strip most of the flavor out. More suited to a pot still or bubbler still.
Plumby

equipment: 50 litre keg boiler with a 2200watt element and a 2 inch pot still called Shaniqua with a 32mm over 19mm 800mm long liebig condenser attached.

Postby scottyd72 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:46 am

Plumby wrote:You can but like you say it will strip most of the flavor out. More suited to a pot still or bubbler still.

Thanks Plumby. I think i might look at building my own bubbler then.
scottyd72

equipment: Bokakob LM reflux with homemade cooling coil. Building a 3" bubbler...

Postby Plumby » Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:16 pm

Great idea, pot still is a great project to start with too. Especially if you haven't soldered b4, they also make great little striping stills for neutral alcohol.
I strip 50 litres of tpw straight into my reflux boiler, add feints of last run if I have any then water down to 40% or below with hot tap water and do my spirit run. If I start no later than 6:30am I'm usually finished both runs by 5pm then make my cuts the next arvo.
Plumby

Postby scottyd72 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:01 pm

Plumby wrote:Great idea, pot still is a great project to start with too. Especially if you haven't soldered b4, they also make great little striping stills for neutral alcohol.
I strip 50 litres of tpw straight into my reflux boiler, add feints of last run if I have any then water down to 40% or below with hot tap water and do my spirit run. If I start no later than 6:30am I'm usually finished both runs by 5pm then make my cuts the next arvo.

Ah ok. Soldering is not a problem. Ive been trying my hand at silver soldering but my little hand held butane torch doesnt put enough heat out. So ill have to look at something a bit bigger.
Now that ive learnt the basics of distilling neutral spirits, i want to build one that will run these really nice washes like Macs BWKO.
scottyd72

Postby Plumby » Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:07 pm

Butane doesnt get hot enough for silver solder but soft solder it is perfect for, as silver solder has a higher melting point than soft solder. I used soft solder for my pot still on everything except the easy flange where it joins the keg.
A pot still will make flavoured spirits but you have to do a few strip runs b4 doing your spirit run. A bubbler is a one run rig, I hope to have one one day.
Plumby

Postby copperhead road » Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:58 pm

Hi scottyd72, sorry I don't know how to post links, after reading some build threads lately I been thinking about trying my hand at a bit of soldering. I was thinking about getting one of these, not sure if it is the best thing but sure one of the DIY copper pros will be able to assist :think:
Thought it might help :handgestures-thumbupleft:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
copperhead road

Postby Zak Griffin » Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:48 pm

You don't need the oxygen kit mate, just the yellow MAPP kit :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

Postby scottyd72 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:05 pm

copperhead road wrote:Hi scottyd72, sorry I don't know how to post links, after reading some build threads lately I been thinking about trying my hand at a bit of soldering. I was thinking about getting one of these, not sure if it is the best thing but sure one of the DIY copper pros will be able to assist :think:
Thought it might help :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Ah yep I looked at the same type of kit. It's what Zak has suggested in the above post. I'm going to get one from Bunnings next weekend and try it out.
scottyd72

PreviousNext

Return to Recipe Development