Mac's Bourbon Whiskey Knock Off (BWKO) Discussion

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Re: Mac's Bourbon Whiskey Knock Off (BWKO) Discussion

Postby pingu » Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:20 am

Thanks guys, yeah think I'm jumping the gun a bit.
I did the run pretty slow maybe 2.5Lt per hour especially the first two thirds. When the abv dropped towards the end I cranked it up and collected down to about 40% as it got dark.
Patience grasshopper. :violence-stickwhack:
Cheers.
pingu

equipment: 2" Pot with Shotgun on Keg

Postby Zak Griffin » Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:19 am

Possibly a touch quick mate... you want a just unbroken stream out of the parrot.
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

Postby pingu » Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:01 pm

Okie dokie, just finished doing my cuts. Ended up with about 55 jars (only ran down to 40%) and kept jars 24 to 39.
The airing and watering down made all the difference. So I have about 6 Lt @ 67% to oak. pretty happy for a first go but think next time I will run slower and hopefully get a tighter transitions between heads/hearts/tails as I think my yield was relatively low. At least I can run the feints in the next bourbon wash.
Thanks guys. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
pingu

Postby bluc » Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:20 pm

6l from 30l seems high to me. I usually keep 3.46l at 75% when watered back gives me 4l at 65% on oak from 25l spirt run..
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby copperhead road » Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:25 pm

pingu wrote:Okie dokie, just finished doing my cuts. Ended up with about 55 jars (only ran down to 40%) and kept jars 24 to 39.
The airing and watering down made all the difference. So I have about 6 Lt @ 67% to oak. pretty happy for a first go but think next time I will run slower and hopefully get a tighter transitions between heads/hearts/tails as I think my yield was relatively low. At least I can run the feints in the next bourbon wash.

How many mls are you collecting in each jar, 55 jars is a lot isn't it
copperhead road

equipment: Full industrial grade copper 25 gallon short can 4" pot with 10 gallon expansion chamber and gin basket, 3" Gatlon gun condenser (gas flame)

Postby pingu » Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:47 pm

bluc wrote:6l from 30l seems high to me. I usually keep 3.46l at 75% when watered back gives me 4l at 65% on oak from 25l spirt run..

Hey bluc, maybe your right my figures are a bit rough. The runs was probably closer to 33Lt and I guess 5.5 @ 75% plus half a litre of water to make 67%
You got 13.8% of your wash as hearts compared to my 16.6% if my maths right.
Either way happy for the feed back I don't know why I expected more. Even if it end ups rubbish its been a massive learning experience.
Cheers
pingu

Postby bluc » Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:49 pm

Pingu sorry epic brain fart I normally get between 9 and 10l from a 25l spirit run :laughing-rolling: 2l at 65% per 25l wash rough estimate it does very from 1.6 to 2.2l :-B
bluc
Site Donor

Postby pingu » Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:56 pm

bluc wrote:Pingu sorry epic brain fart I normally get between 9 and 10l from a 25l spirit run :laughing-rolling: 2l at 65% per 25l wash rough estimate it does very from 1.6 to 2.2l :-B

Hahaa thanks bluc so my thinking of low yield was right all good feel better now. :dance:

copperhead road wrote:
pingu wrote:Okie dokie, just finished doing my cuts. Ended up with about 55 jars (only ran down to 40%) and kept jars 24 to 39.

How many mls are you collecting in each jar, 55 jars is a lot isn't it

Hey mate just filling them about 300/350ml but towards the end I was putting more in when i assumed i was deep in tails. :music-deathmetal:
pingu

Postby Zak Griffin » Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:13 am

Especially as a beginner, I wouldn't recommend taking any larger than 300ml cuts :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Good stuff Pingu :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

Postby Maritsio2016 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:06 pm

just did my first spirit run collected 12l of hearts from really slow run about 1.5l per hour very happy used about 30l of strip and added 15l of water so about 45l charge for the run. i was really really slow on take off less than 1l per hour compressed the heads pretty good to about 700ml all up. didnt bother collecting tails once the second glass fogged up and abv dropped to 90. ive never done a strip run so long but am extremely happy with the results quality gear thats for sure. I only have the one 15L demi left so watered down to about 75% and added 6 oak dominos medium char i think. Has anyone had success with burning oak to get that authentic bourbon flavor and smell? Everyone i've spoken to has over done it in the past.
Maritsio2016

equipment: 4"4 Plate FSD Bubbler, 2x packed sections, 50L milk can with 2x 2400W elements

Postby Doubleuj » Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:56 pm

I char my own dominos on the BBQ, they get fully alight before i put them out
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" stainless glasser

Postby Bumper » Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:01 pm

I use a little hand held gas blow torch used for creme brûlée and other culinary endeavours. Approximately 45 seconds to a minute of this gives me a nice alligator char. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Bumper

equipment: ------

Postby Maritsio2016 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:06 pm

nice one my only worry is over smoking the bourbon. How many of these torched dominos do you lads use in how many L for how long?
Maritsio2016

equipment: 4"4 Plate FSD Bubbler, 2x packed sections, 50L milk can with 2x 2400W elements

Postby bluc » Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:06 am

10g/l for 12months or more 15g/l up to 12months. I usually put one heavy char about 15g into a 2l bottle along with 15g medium toast..
bluc
Site Donor

Postby Maritsio2016 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:53 pm

This stuff is awesome ive fast aged some in a jar of old oak with the lid on loose after 3 weeks its very drinkable i can definitely see myself becoming a bourbon drinker. have just put down a modified recipe to emulate wild turkey using 2.5L of corn 1l of rye and 0.5l of barley 3kg sugar will let everyone know how it goes. All round very happy with this style of fermentation.
Maritsio2016

Postby CyBaThUg » Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:03 pm

I've been sampling the gen 123 barrel for the last month not bad just sampled the barrel with gens 456 holy shit after a month this is delicious lol
CyBaThUg

equipment: pot still

Postby ed9362 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:10 pm

Maritsio2016 wrote:This stuff is awesome ive fast aged some in a jar of old oak with the lid on loose after 3 weeks its very drinkable i can definitely see myself becoming a bourbon drinker. have just put down a modified recipe to emulate wild turkey using 2.5L of corn 1l of rye and 0.5l of barley 3kg sugar will let everyone know how it goes. All round very happy with this style of fermentation.

Can i ask what fast aging methos you are using?
ed9362

equipment: Pure distilling reflux still kit. A few extra fermenters
2" pot still

Postby copperhead road » Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:07 pm

I have done a couple of successful ferments of this recipe scaled up larger, I had only read the start of the thread which talks about wheat and barley do not need to be cracked. I have just read the whole thing now and towards the end of the thread it seems to have changed to using a mill to crack wheat and barley. is it better to crack these ???
Also in regards to keeping washes for a period of time once they have completely working off under airlock, is it ok just to use cling wrap on 200 litre fermentation drums as I have way to much wash ready to run and still waiting for my pot still to arrive. :think:
copperhead road

equipment: Full industrial grade copper 25 gallon short can 4" pot with 10 gallon expansion chamber and gin basket, 3" Gatlon gun condenser (gas flame)

Postby Plumby » Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:33 pm

They should be OK under cling wrap, back when ( 5 or 6 years or more ) I was making beer I never used a lid on my fermenters just cling wrap. When they were done fermenting I just left them until bottling time. As long as you don't remove the cling wrap lid there will be a layer of CO2 on top of your wash that protects it.
Plumby

equipment: 50 litre keg boiler with a 2200watt element and a 2 inch pot still called Shaniqua with a 32mm over 19mm 800mm long liebig condenser attached.

Postby copperhead road » Sun Jun 11, 2017 7:29 am

Plumby wrote:They should be OK under cling wrap, back when ( 5 or 6 years or more ) I was making beer I never used a lid on my fermenters just cling wrap. When they were done fermenting I just left them until bottling time. As long as you don't remove the cling wrap lid there will be a layer of CO2 on top of your wash that protects it.

DAMN, I had removed the lid on on 2 60 litre fermenters to check they were finished and rescrewed the lid and airlock back on, I also did the same with one 200 litre fermenter by removing cling wrap.
I guess I have destroyed them by loosing the CO2 layer and letting fresh air in. :angry-banghead:
Thanks Plumby :handgestures-thumbupleft:
copperhead road

PreviousNext

Return to Recipe Development