Mac's Bourbon Whiskey Knock Off (BWKO) Discussion

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Re: Mac's Bourbon Whiskey Knock Off (BWKO) Discussion

Postby Birdman85 » Fri Sep 04, 2020 3:55 pm

RC Al wrote:JD is 80% corn 8% rye 12% barley

So adding some rye like you said will get you where your wanting to go

Thanks mate. Will definitely give it a go. I think I saw a grain bill list on here somewhere. I'll take a squizz through there and see if I can pick some I like and chop and change. I have to make some neutral before anything tho.... And I still haven't finished my keg :roll:
Birdman85

equipment: 50L keg boiler, home made modular 2" pot still and CCVM.

Turbo500 (birthday gift)

Postby Wellsy » Fri Sep 04, 2020 5:35 pm

Keep us informed if you don’t mind Birdman as I really like where you are aiming for.
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Postby Wellsy » Sat Sep 05, 2020 8:21 pm

Silly question guys with the boiling water of 20 litres , the sugar, corn wheat and barley it must be close to 30kg. How do you guys safely lift this hot weight to tip it into the fermenter or do you do it in a couple of batches. Also what sort of pot do you use to oil it all up in ?
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Postby bluc » Sun Sep 06, 2020 9:26 am

I mix it in fermenter boiling water in first in few batchs then dissolve sugar in boiling water then add grain..
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby Wellsy » Sun Sep 06, 2020 10:44 am

bluc wrote:I mix it in fermenter boiling water in first in few batchs then dissolve sugar in boiling water then add grain..

Thanks bluc, so I am guessing you repitch the yeast every time as backset and boiling water would kill the yeast in the grain bed
Wellsy

Postby dans.brew » Sun Sep 06, 2020 2:46 pm

Wellsy wrote:
bluc wrote:I mix it in fermenter boiling water in first in few batchs then dissolve sugar in boiling water then add grain..

Thanks bluc, so I am guessing you repitch the yeast every time as backset and boiling water would kill the yeast in the grain bed

Get yourself a 30ltr bucket and mix the sugar and boiling water or backset in that.
Either let that cool to ferment temp or water it down with cold water before adding to fermenter.
I mix sugar and backset in a few smaller batches so there is room in my bucket to add cold water to get to correct temp.
Then you wont kill your yeast and you can have your fermenter at exactly the right temp from the get go. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
I find a bigger bucket is necessary for this job as i get my drill and paint mixer into it and give it a good mix.. not hard to make a mess if ya not watching what ya doing. :violence-stickwhack:
dans.brew

equipment: Pure Distilling Reflux Still
2" Pot Still with lieberg
4" x 4 plates Bubbler with 2"bubble caps on 50ltr keg boiler

Postby Wellsy » Sun Sep 06, 2020 3:00 pm

Thanks Dan
But how do you then transfer the 30 litres in the bucket into your fermenter as at that stage it would weigh almost 30 kilos. Or do I just not work out enough lol
Wellsy

Postby dans.brew » Sun Sep 06, 2020 3:34 pm

Wellsy wrote:Thanks Dan
But how do you then transfer the 30 litres in the bucket into your fermenter as at that stage it would weigh almost 30 kilos. Or do I just not work out enough lol

Ill only put 5ltrs of backset, 2-3 bags(2kg) of sugar in bucket and then mix. I wouldnt usually get it over 20lts getting it down to 30 degs. Depends how cold your water is.
dans.brew

equipment: Pure Distilling Reflux Still
2" Pot Still with lieberg
4" x 4 plates Bubbler with 2"bubble caps on 50ltr keg boiler

Postby Wellsy » Sun Sep 06, 2020 4:18 pm

Thanks again guys.
Wellsy

Postby hgwells » Sat Nov 07, 2020 3:01 pm

Hi Guys,

Put down my first BWKO wash today, have read all of this post and I still have a question.
I have a FSD neutraliser that I assume will have to configure to four plates without the packed section to maintain flavour.

My question relates to stripping runs, using backset and BWKO wash generations.

Do I need to do a stripping run with the bubbler or can I do one shot spirit runs and mix the generations together, or is it best to do stripping runs, combine gens and do a single spirit run using macs guide to running bubblers?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers

HG
hgwells
Site Donor

equipment: FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
60L Milkcan Boiler
100L 5 Star Boiler
3x 2400 Elements
1x 3600 Element
Turbo-500

Postby Wellsy » Sat Nov 07, 2020 3:32 pm

Sorry I cant give you an answer on the bubbler HG I only have the pot still option.

I can tell you generations and are worth doing which ever way you go with this one. It is well worth keeping the flavour :)

Good luck and I am guessing this will become a favorite as the ferment time is great on this for me :)
I have even started experimenting with rye like many others have.
Wellsy

Postby bluc » Sat Nov 07, 2020 4:36 pm

hgwells wrote:Hi Guys,

Put down my first BWKO wash today, have read all of this post and I still have a question.
I have a FSD neutraliser that I assume will have to configure to four plates without the packed section to maintain flavour.

Do I need to do a stripping run with the bubbler or can I do one shot spirit runs and mix the generations together, or is it best to do stripping runs, combine gens and do a single spirit run using macs guide to running bubblers?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers

HG

No need to strip with a brown spirit in bubbler :handgestures-thumbupleft:
I do however strip neutral washs..
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby hgwells » Sun Nov 08, 2020 8:07 pm

:handgestures-thumbupleft:
Wellsy wrote:Sorry I cant give you an answer on the bubbler HG I only have the pot still option.

I can tell you generations and are worth doing which ever way you go with this one. It is well worth keeping the flavour :)

Good luck and I am guessing this will become a favorite as the ferment time is great on this for me :)
I have even started experimenting with rye like many others have.
hgwells
Site Donor

FSD Carter Head
60L Milkcan Boiler
100L 5 Star Boiler
3x 2400 Elements
1x 3600 Element
Turbo-500

Postby hgwells » Sun Nov 08, 2020 8:08 pm

bluc wrote:
hgwells wrote:Hi Guys,

Thanks in advance.

Cheers

HG

No need to strip with a brown spirit in bubbler :handgestures-thumbupleft:
I do however strip neutral washs..
hgwells
Site Donor

FSD Carter Head
60L Milkcan Boiler
100L 5 Star Boiler
3x 2400 Elements
1x 3600 Element
Turbo-500

Postby hgwells » Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:59 pm

Hi Guys,

Additional question, do I need to add yeast to the second and subsequent generations?
If so assume that it would be the same amount as the original recipe or will there be enough yeast as is?

Cheers

HG
hgwells
Site Donor

FSD Carter Head
60L Milkcan Boiler
100L 5 Star Boiler
3x 2400 Elements
1x 3600 Element
Turbo-500

Postby Wellsy » Sat Nov 28, 2020 1:59 pm

I never needed to HG , once the sugar and backseat had cooled I added it the the trub along with the extra water. I just made sure nothing I added was too hot, under 32 degrees, and kept the total fermentation barrels under 32 and it always fired back up in a couple of hours. This had been the most active wadjh I have ever had mate, not that I have done a heap of different washes.
Wellsy

Postby hgwells » Sat Nov 28, 2020 2:03 pm

Wellsy wrote:I never needed to HG , once the sugar and backseat had cooled I added it the the trub along with the extra water. I just made sure nothing I added was too hot, under 32 degrees, and kept the total fermentation barrels under 32 and it always fired back up in a couple of hours. This had been the most active wadjh I have ever had mate, not that I have done a heap of different washes.

Thanks Wellsy,

I’ll give it a bash.

Cheers

Hg
hgwells
Site Donor

FSD Carter Head
60L Milkcan Boiler
100L 5 Star Boiler
3x 2400 Elements
1x 3600 Element
Turbo-500

Postby Wellsy » Sat Nov 28, 2020 2:55 pm

Wait until you start drinking it mate :)
It is even better than distilling it mate lol
Wellsy

Postby hgwells » Sun Nov 29, 2020 4:31 pm

hgwells wrote:
Wellsy wrote:I never needed to HG , once the sugar and backseat had cooled I added it the the trub along with the extra water. I just made sure nothing I added was too hot, under 32 degrees, and kept the total fermentation barrels under 32 and it always fired back up in a couple of hours. This had been the most active wadjh I have ever had mate, not that I have done a heap of different washes.

Thanks Wellsy,

I’ll give it a bash.

Cheers

Hg

Bubbling away nicely...... :handgestures-thumbupleft:
hgwells
Site Donor

FSD Carter Head
60L Milkcan Boiler
100L 5 Star Boiler
3x 2400 Elements
1x 3600 Element
Turbo-500

Postby Wellsy » Sun Nov 29, 2020 4:50 pm

I never doubted it for a minute lol
My NGW is always a bit hit or miss but my BWKO always fired backup.
This is such a great wash
So pleased it is going well for you mate :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Wellsy

PreviousNext

Return to Recipe Development