Easy Weetbix / All Bran Wash Recipe Discussion

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Re: easy weetbix / all bran wash

Postby Potmash Boka » Thu May 02, 2013 9:51 pm

Been reading this thread, and something occurred to me. What about adding about 150gms of crushed peated malt( steeped correctly of course) to the original recipe, just for some smoke flavour. Run it through a pot or bubbler, then put down in oak for 18 months or so.
Potmash Boka

equipment: 2" pot and 4" thumper, 4" pot, 2" SS reflux, 2.5" Boka. 4" 5 plate bubbler( almost done, need to some bits and to make the column round again). SS boiler, 80L keg, 50L keg and a 30L keg boilers.
Various pieces of copper pipe laying around for future experiments.

Postby Camikaze » Fri May 03, 2013 8:24 am

bt1 wrote:guys,

make sure your pets....yep even your cat don't help them selves in the first hour with lid off...

You can tell cos the cat has a weetbix moe.

owner of a happy cat
bt1

:laughing-rolling: my dumb-arsed greyhound does the same bloody thing. He ain't to fond of a fresh TPW though.
Camikaze

equipment: The 'Lamb-cannon' 4" stainless modular hybrid on a keg, shottie-cooled with 185,000 btu up its arse

Postby blond.chap » Fri May 03, 2013 11:50 am

Potmash Boka wrote:Been reading this thread, and something occurred to me. What about adding about 150gms of crushed peated malt( steeped correctly of course) to the original recipe, just for some smoke flavour. Run it through a pot or bubbler, then put down in oak for 18 months or so.

You can give it a shot, my current thinking is that the components that cause a smoke flavour have quite a high boiling point, so you'd need to run through a pot still and collect lateish tails.
blond.chap

equipment: Paris Stillton (4" perforated bubbler)

Postby Brendan » Fri May 03, 2013 11:57 am

Just my opinion, and don't get me wrong I love the Weet-Bix/All-Bran Wheat Flakes recipes, but...

If you're going to put it down on oak for a whole 18 months, why not buy a BIAB (brew in a bag) bag for about $20, buy a bag of malted grain, and do it with authentic ingredients...?
Brendan

equipment: 4.99L Essential oil extractor

easy weetbix / all bran wash

Postby Sam. » Fri May 03, 2013 2:24 pm

Brendan wrote:Just my opinion, and don't get me wrong I love the Weet-Bix/All-Bran Wheat Flakes recipes, but...

If you're going to put it down on oak for a whole 18 months, why not buy a BIAB (brew in a bag) bag for about $20, buy a bag of malted grain, and do it with authentic ingredients...?

You read my mind Brendan
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby crow » Fri May 03, 2013 2:40 pm

Hobo wrote:Ok BB, I have got one of them on the go as well, They both seem to be going well. I was hoping for some grain flavour to carry through with the weetbix wash, whether it does or not I guess I will find out. My still starts out at about 75% so maybe.
It's more of an experiment than anything :smile:

Hmm that still sounds pretty inefficient starting from 75% and dropping to 40% if it has done that through the hearts you will in fact get a carry over flavor , almost sounds like a hybrid run
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby kingy » Fri May 03, 2013 7:38 pm

If the backset of the bourbon knock off was unavailable would making up a weatbix wash and dumping on the grain yeast cake would there be any benifit than adding just the sugar?
kingy

equipment: 4inch modular up to 5 plates and a packed section
50 litre 2x 2400w elements boiler
100 litre E herms brewery with a 130litre gas boiler

Postby kingy » Fri May 03, 2013 8:06 pm

Well my still had a leak tonight so the uj bourbon wash is having a rest before it gets ran tomorrow and I'm making up a wheat bix wash to put on the grains and yeast to fire it up again to keep the corn comfy lol.
kingy

equipment: 4inch modular up to 5 plates and a packed section
50 litre 2x 2400w elements boiler
100 litre E herms brewery with a 130litre gas boiler

Postby Hobo » Fri May 03, 2013 9:10 pm

crow wrote:
Hobo wrote:Ok BB, I have got one of them on the go as well, They both seem to be going well. I was hoping for some grain flavour to carry through with the weetbix wash, whether it does or not I guess I will find out. My still starts out at about 75% so maybe.
It's more of an experiment than anything :smile:

Hmm that still sounds pretty inefficient starting from 75% and dropping to 40% if it has done that through the hearts you will in fact get a carry over flavor , almost sounds like a hybrid run

Gday Crow, I have only done 4 runs with this steam catcher, I don't think it is really a good reflux still, I will be running the WBW tomorrow, the first of my non turdbo washes.

I am not sure what you mean by inefficient? It is a 25l boiler, run 20l I end up with av 5l @ 55% over 4 hours. I think it does perform as a hybrid between pot and reflux.
So far I have been getting good results but I am still new to this and I am sure I will work=k out ways to improve.
I will let yo know how my Weetbix worx out
Hobo

Location: Aussie Drifter.\ Hometown Melbourne, currently Central Qld
equipment: Home made Copper Reflux still, 50l keg boiler, 2inch x 850mm column packed with stainless scrubbers and reverse liebig condenser. 95% and stoked!

Postby Sam. » Sun May 05, 2013 1:52 am

Hobo wrote: the first of my non turdbo washes.

I hope you meant to spell it like that. Classic :laughing-rolling:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.

Postby Hobo » Sun May 05, 2013 2:15 pm

Yeah sam_and_liv, it was intentional, I don't mind if other people use them, I just love the fact that you can get everything you need from the pantry or supemarket to make good booze.
I just ran my first 20l WBW yesterday, I tossed 100mm, then cut 350ml off the start, got 500 of tails, left me with about 4.5l @ 40% can't complain about that!
I used 4kg sugar, 8 weetbix, 3 cups of cornflakes.
I left all my cuts to air, I came to the conclusion that the first cut was as good as the rest, so I watered it down in a separate bottle, I guess the taste test will decide.
Hobo

Location: Aussie Drifter.\ Hometown Melbourne, currently Central Qld
equipment: Home made Copper Reflux still, 50l keg boiler, 2inch x 850mm column packed with stainless scrubbers and reverse liebig condenser. 95% and stoked!

Postby Sam. » Sun May 05, 2013 7:29 pm

Hobo wrote:Yeah sam_and_liv, it was intentional, I don't mind if other people use them, I just love the fact that you can get everything you need from the pantry or supemarket to make good booze.
I just ran my first 20l WBW yesterday, I tossed 100mm, then cut 350ml off the start, got 500 of tails, left me with about 4.5l @ 40% can't complain about that!
I used 4kg sugar, 8 weetbix, 3 cups of cornflakes.
I left all my cuts to air, I came to the conclusion that the first cut was as good as the rest, so I watered it down in a separate bottle, I guess the taste test will decide.

Glad you have seen the light mate ;-)

I am definitely stealing the turdbo though :laughing-rolling:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

18 Gal boiler.

Postby filb » Sat May 25, 2013 10:18 am

hi all i had a good lot of success using honey wheats about 5 cups 1 weet bix and 1 cup of corn flakes 3 tablespoos of malt extract the gooeeyy on in the can from coles 22l water and 4.5 kgs sugar and about 4 TBLS lowans yeast also from coles :violence-stickwhack: it has come out awesome using reflux still without any scrubbies in it takes about a week to ferm out and is a go to recipe for me :text-lol:
filb

equipment: strange kind of coffee (yeah thats it) coffee machine !!!!!!!!!!!+
still spirits super reflux unit

Postby jasonc2861 » Mon May 27, 2013 11:15 am

Have to admit at the time,these where good to do,experimenting etc,cornflakes,coco pops,but since I only have a reflux still,not worth the effort I think now,almost felt like i lost my way a bit,for what i was trying to make.tpw is a lot smoother,easy etc.also the one I did with ovaltine was like friggen rocket fuel man!could have run the car on it..so till I get a pot still,tpw is all I'm doin :handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft:
jasonc2861

equipment: Extended Pure distilling reflux,110cm,,bigger is better!

Postby droo1966 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:49 am

People here are using all sorts of breakfast cereals.
Has anyone tried any thing really crazy, like froot loops or coco pops?
droo1966

Postby Sam. » Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:15 pm

droo1966 wrote:People here are using all sorts of breakfast cereals.

Did you read the post above yours? :laughing-rolling:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

18 Gal boiler.

Postby MacStill » Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:18 pm

sam_and_liv wrote:
droo1966 wrote:People here are using all sorts of breakfast cereals.

Did you read the post above yours? :laughing-rolling:

And why ask in the T&P section anyway :roll:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby droo1966 » Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:46 am

I think I asked the question badly.
What I meant was, how does the coco pop wash taste?
droo1966

Postby DevilsBugs » Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:15 pm

Another weetbix/all bran wash on the go, smells awsome. I need to fill another fermenter with it.
The only Difference to the recipe was I added 140g of Bakers Yeast.
O/T ran my first TPW today. all good. The heads smell better than the best of the Turbo washes. IMHO.
Thanks guys great forum. ^:)^
DevilsBugs

equipment: Essencia Reflux Still, 25l boiler.

Postby bayshine » Sun Jul 07, 2013 4:03 pm

I have to say, tpw is done for me. Wbab is a heaps better drop imo .not sharp like the tpw,but smooth straight of the still. A great recipe
:handgestures-thumbupleft:
bayshine

equipment: FSD 6 inch 5 plater block head On a FSD 100lt pro boiler
3” copper reducer bokka on a keg boiler

PreviousNext

Return to Recipe Development