Easy Weetbix / All Bran Wash Recipe Discussion

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Re: easy weetbix / all bran wash

Postby Brendan » Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:27 pm

Ask him if he prefers wheat flavoured spirits or tomato flavoured spirits...not ALL the flavour comes from the oak.

If he's aging/colouring it in oak, he needs to start with a wash where you want to carry some flavour through :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Brendan

equipment: 4.99L Essential oil extractor

Postby kiwikeg » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:05 pm

I find the weetbix flavour can carry over and.its quite nice. We did a few shots last night of weetbix vodka I.had left and its alright.
Another nice twist is to use some brown sugar or golden syrup in the wash.
kiwikeg

equipment: Fsd bubbler

Postby Mark » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:29 pm

jasonc2861 wrote:Quote "Another method I have tried is woodchip on finished spirit in a carboy so it goes a whiskey colour (a week is all that's needed if ample chip is used).
Mark,,what woodchips do u use for soaking this mate,?,would like to try it,,doing a weetbix special today from ur recipe.thanks heaps. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

The wood chip goes by the name English Oak, or European Oak, or French Oak. The botanical name is Quercus robur. It's a common street tree in the older streets of Canberra, and I've seen it in Melbourne too. If the council does the street tree work keep an eye out as the heart wood on docked limbs is what you want provided it has seasoned (dried out). The brew shops sell it as chips in packs too.

On a smaller run 3 table spoons of chip can colour up 5 litres of ~50% abv in about week. A handful would do it in 3 days. You want a mix of watered down spirit so it can dissolve out a wide spectrum of the wood's organic compounds. You can recycle your chip if you add some more new chip. But be aware that used wet chip can leach a lot faster than new dry chip which may take a day or more to sink and then leach. If your aim is carbon colour stripping then over-wooding is unlikely to be a problem, as opposed to wooding a spirit base for essence use.

On new carbon first rinse it under the tap in a stainless steel colander to wash the dust out before sitting the whiskey coloured spirit on it. Otherwise you'll have a huge task later on running it all through no end of coffee filters or cotton balls removing the carbon dust load. Next, add the wet rinsed carbon to the carboy so make sure the spirit is not too dilute.

Don't agitate the carboy or you'll create a fines/dust problem by excessively breaking up the carbon. Leave the carboy alone and wait. You will first see a clear vodka layer form above the carbon sediment and slowly this will increase to the surface until the whiskey colour is gone. When colourless pour off slowly (to avoid stirring up the carbon layer), or rack, to another carboy. Then filter through coffee filter paper in a stainless steel funnel to catch remaining carbon fines. It's a long process taking months to clear but this makes superb vodka.

To recycle/recharge the carbon, wash it in hot water through a stainless steel colander and then pressure cook, rinse, repeat. After 2 pressure cooks and rinses, drain and load to a baking dish left in the sun to dry, or place in an oven on low. Fan forced oven is best. Store in an air tight sealed container to avoid it absorbing airborne odours. Buying new packs is unnecessary. Stone carbon can be recharged indefinitely, or at least until the particle size breaks down to unusable fines.
Mark

equipment: pda-1 w/ext
15 gal ss boiler

Postby jasonc2861 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:15 am

Wow,,cheers mate :clap: :handgestures-thumbupleft:
jasonc2861

equipment: Extended Pure distilling reflux,110cm,,bigger is better!

Postby bt1 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:00 am

nice write up...much appreciated

bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Postby jasonc2861 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:05 pm

Just put a weetbix/cornflake special on
Did 8 weetbix,3 cups cornflakes.26 ltr water.
5 kgs sugar,120g lowans yeast,teaspoon Epsom salts,teaspoon citric acid.
Besides a few cornflakes floating around seems ok so far.
I've got a 8 weetbix special going for a few days now,,looking good,love the smell. :handgestures-thumbupleft: this one I'm going to put on oak as mentioned by mark,,and the cornflake weety special is going to be lovingly turned into some dam good vodka!
Never used carbon but when I do the oak one ill use it as stated above,,thnx :handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft:
jasonc2861

Postby Kimbo » Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:22 pm

jasonc2861 wrote:Just put a weetbix/cornflake special on
Did 8 weetbix,3 cups cornflakes.26 ltr water.
5 kgs sugar,120g lowans yeast,teaspoon Epsom salts,teaspoon citric acid.
Besides a few cornflakes floating around seems ok so far.
I've got a 8 weetbix special going for a few days now,,looking good,love the smell. :handgestures-thumbupleft: this one I'm going to put on oak as mentioned by mark,,and the cornflake weety special is going to be lovingly turned into some dam good vodka!
Never used carbon but when I do the oak one ill use it as stated above,,thnx :handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft:

That will turn out to be quite a nice drop mate and if it's Potstilled instead and put on Oak for a few months it is very nice ;-)
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby jasonc2861 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:47 pm

Weetbix wash a success!!got prob 1.90 ltrs of neutral,haven't taken heads and tails yet,,not anticipating much tails as I turned it off started to rise,was a bit "tired",so to speak..but anyway,,smells really smooth so far,,not as sharp as some. Thanks mark for the receip,,putting another on today,weetbix and all bran,,going to put 60 grams of yeast in this one,as that's all I have at home at the moment, to say 20 ltrs water,4.5kgs sugar,citric and Epsom.any way ill take the hearts tonight ,and cut it tomoz,going to oak some and keep some clear! :handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft:
jasonc2861

Postby Teddysad » Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:03 pm

I have found good success with one further step
I use a "Magic Bullet" processor and whiz the weetbix / cornflakes or whatever into a fine powder before adding to the wash.
I find that this gets a much bigger flavour profile into the end result - i suspect it offers greater surface area to the cereal ;-)
Teddysad

equipment: FSD 4"SSG with packed column 50l Boiler keg. Alex 25 for smaller scale runs

Postby bt1 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:50 pm

Or a variation...

while your dissolving your sugar throw a few in for about 4 mins at the enbd...no cost dissolve completely all good to good with the sugar...

cheers
bt1
bt1

Postby MacStill » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:06 pm

enough of you are using this recipe to warrant it's existance in the T&P section.

enjoy :handgestures-thumbupleft:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby bt1 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:42 am

Good call mac

bt1
bt1

Postby Linno » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:57 pm

jasonc2861 wrote:Weetbix wash a success!!got prob 1.90 ltrs of neutral,haven't taken heads and tails yet,,not anticipating much tails as I turned it off started to rise,was a bit "tired",so to speak..but anyway,,smells really smooth so far,,not as sharp as some. Thanks mark for the receip,,putting another on today,weetbix and all bran,,going to put 60 grams of yeast in this one,as that's all I have at home at the moment, to say 20 ltrs water,4.5kgs sugar,citric and Epsom.any way ill take the hearts tonight ,and cut it tomoz,going to oak some and keep some clear! :handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Cheers for posting the results Jas, i am sold... ducked out to the shops thismorning and i am goin to put one of these down this arvo, though i might do a weet bix and a weet bix/nutri grain combo. I was also thinkin that I shouldnt strip this wash and see how it goes?? I have a packed section for my bubbler coming soon but i think i might put this thru a mates ultra pure and put it on HBS chips, might be a good in between drink while i wait for my BWKO gens to get some age.

nothin suss about my trolley today :laughing-rolling:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Linno

equipment: FSD Mac 4 version 1 #001
4" single cap, 4 plate SS Bubbler,
400mm SS packed extension

Postby DaveZ » Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:47 pm

Looks like my trolley every time I go to the shops, with the addition of some tomato paste :silent:

Just put a 30L fermenter of this down beside my usual tomato paste washes. The neutral from the tomato wash never seems quite right, just a bit more of an after taste or burn than a shop bought vodka, hopefully I'll notice a difference in the end product. It'll be run through a SS T500 :shock:

Cheers,
Dave.
DaveZ

equipment: 5 plate FSD bubbler with gin basket and packed rock section on a 50L, 4800W keg

Postby jasonc2861 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:57 pm

Nice work Lino!!dam good idea with the nutrigran,,I'm using that next,,!any way,I just filtered with coffee filter papers 3 ltrs the weetbix special,with still spirits rum chunks at 50%alc,soaked for a week,going to let it settle for a bit now,but a bit accidentally just fell in a glass with some ice and dry ginger ale...twice now would you beleive?...and anyway,,tastes really good for what it is man,have watered it to 40% now by the way!! :handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft: :D :D :D awsome,,!!
jasonc2861

Postby jasonc2861 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:59 pm

DaveZ wrote:Looks like my trolley every time I go to the shops, with the addition of some tomato paste :silent:

Just put a 30L fermenter of this down beside my usual tomato paste washes. The neutral from the tomato wash never seems quite right, just a bit more of an after taste or burn than a shop bought vodka, hopefully I'll notice a difference in the end product. It'll be run through a SS T500 :shock:

Cheers,
Dave.

I recon you will mate,,I've noticed it's not as sharp as tpw,,srry I've said that before but it's the best way to describe it,,also the pumkin wash is really smooth mate as well :handgestures-thumbupleft: can't wait to go the nutrigran tho!!thats for tomoz! :handgestures-thumbupleft:
jasonc2861

Postby Sam. » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:02 pm

I think this thread may have warped a wee bit.

Are we making vodka out of this?

Or making a whisky?
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby Linno » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:53 am

Gday Jas

I cant take the credit for the nutri grain, That was pinched from Kimbo. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Linno

equipment: FSD Mac 4 version 1 #001
4" single cap, 4 plate SS Bubbler,
400mm SS packed extension

Postby jasonc2861 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:38 am

sam_and_liv wrote:I think this thread may have warped a wee bit.

Are we making vodka out of this?

Or making a whisky?

Dam good neutral is what we making :handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft:
jasonc2861

Postby bt1 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:11 pm

It makes a bloody good base for whiskys as well.

either essences or oaking its a dam fine drop.

sheers
bt1
bt1

PreviousNext

Return to Recipe Development