Easy Weetbix / All Bran Wash Recipe Discussion

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Re: easy weetbix / all bran wash

Postby Brendan » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:11 pm

sam_and_liv wrote:I agree it can be used as a base for your malt drinks if ran as if for one.

There has been talk of running these through reflux stills with the aim of making a nuetrel then calling it nuetrel and whisky at the same time.

All good if you are running it through a pot or a bubbler, but it will not be as clean as a TPW run through a reflux.

I know I've said this on here before, but this wash makes the best vodka (aside from going all grain) if you know what you're doing with it :handgestures-thumbupleft:

I used to (will hopefully make something comparable with the new bubbler) strip in pot still, do the bi-carb thin and let sit for a week. Then charge reflux still with low wines, and run through the VM collecting in the 90's%ABV...let sit for a month or so in glass...just spot on. I have conducted many blind tests with people and it always knocks Smirnoff, Absolut, and a few other commercial brands, out of the park. :clap:
Brendan

equipment: 4.99L Essential oil extractor

Postby bayshine » Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:20 pm

put down a 54 lt wash adjusted to the exact recipe and really think that this will be a hit.
loved the way it capped up after the yeast was activated.
planning on postilling then hopefully be a good base for a scotch knock off :pray:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bayshine

equipment: FSD 6 inch 5 plater block head On a FSD 100lt pro boiler
3” copper reducer bokka on a keg boiler

Postby jasonc2861 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:12 pm

sam_and_liv wrote:I really don't see the point of making a nuetrel to put on oak.

There are plenty of other recipes for that.

Nuetrel is a base for making liquers, or using essences or macerating in my opinion.

It's been done before tho. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Oak Aged Vodka Cask One £25.50

Fabulous recently released "Cask One" vodka. We were confident that it would be well received, but we’re staggered at the response to it! There are plans for "Cask Two" and now "Cask Three" but they are still some way off.

Volume: 70cl
Strength: 40%

Unfortunately we have now run out of Oak Aged Vodka Cask One.

Tasting Note

Cask One is delicate and smooth, it has a definite hint of whisky, which comes from the oak cask, but is still a vodka. Served on ice it has a lovely soft vanilla quality, and absolutely no burn, at room temperature the whisky notes come to the fore, with just a hint of that whisky "Edge" but with no peat or smoke, just a warm rich spiciness which is slightly reminiscent of green apples.
Ps couldn't get the pic for some reason.but there are plenty of oaked vodkas out there. ;-)
jasonc2861

equipment: Extended Pure distilling reflux,110cm,,bigger is better!

Postby jasonc2861 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:14 pm

Oops got it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jasonc2861

Postby jasonc2861 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:16 pm

Even with beer!! :handgestures-thumbupleft:
jasonc2861

Postby Sam. » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:13 pm

jasonc2861 wrote:Oops got it.

So why is it clear :think:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby jasonc2861 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:13 pm

sam_and_liv wrote:
jasonc2861 wrote:Oops got it.

So why is it clear :think:

Prob had the total shit filtered out of it.!! :laughing-rolling:
jasonc2861

Postby Hobo » Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:43 pm

I found this recipe the other day (as I am only new here) and decided to hook in and put one down.
I ran a 20l wash so I used 4 kg of sugar and ran everything the same except I used 3 cups of Cornflakes instead of Allbran.
Cooked it all up and pitched the yeast... I was amazed how quickly it fired up! Quite vigorous too.
The second day it slowed right down so I put the lid and airlock in place and it is motoring along nicely. It started out at 1080 and it is down to 1030 in 3 days.
Can't wait to run this one!
I am curious to see how it turns out in my little reflux still as this will be my first run without using Turdbo yeast.
I am expecting it to be way better.
No more Turdbo for me.
I will post my results soon... Cheers! :D
Hobo

Location: Aussie Drifter.\ Hometown Melbourne, currently Central Qld
equipment: Home made Copper Reflux still, 50l keg boiler, 2inch x 850mm column packed with stainless scrubbers and reverse liebig condenser. 95% and stoked!

easy weetbix / all bran wash

Postby BackyardBrewer » Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:08 pm

I still think that a tomato paste wash is both cheaper and easier than messing around with Weet-Bix and cereals.

Especially for a neutral that will be going through a reflux.
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

equipment: Solid Copper Love Machine (Plated column bubbler), hand made with love by a forum member
50L keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements
PURE distilling Reflux still + a tonne of homebrew gear amassed over 10 years of brewing.

Postby Hobo » Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:31 pm

Ok BB, I have got one of them on the go as well, They both seem to be going well. I was hoping for some grain flavour to carry through with the weetbix wash, whether it does or not I guess I will find out. My still starts out at about 75% so maybe.
It's more of an experiment than anything :smile:
Hobo

equipment: Home made Copper Reflux still, 50l keg boiler, 2inch x 850mm column packed with stainless scrubbers and reverse liebig condenser. 95% and stoked!

Postby BackyardBrewer » Sat Apr 27, 2013 3:13 pm

Hey hobo, zero flavour will carry over from a reflux. Hence the suggestion to save your dosh and do a TPW - less fuss, less waste for a super clean neutral.

Most guys will go the weetbix wash as the start of a whisky or bourbon through a potty or a bubbler.
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

equipment: Solid Copper Love Machine (Plated column bubbler), hand made with love by a forum member
50L keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements
PURE distilling Reflux still + a tonne of homebrew gear amassed over 10 years of brewing.

Postby kingy » Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:18 pm

In my potstill If I strip a uj and wheat bix wash then do spirit run.Wonder how that would turn out hmmm.
kingy

equipment: 4inch modular up to 5 plates and a packed section
50 litre 2x 2400w elements boiler
100 litre E herms brewery with a 130litre gas boiler

Postby SBB » Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:34 pm

Hobo wrote:My still starts out at about 75% so maybe.

That means you have 75% ethanol.....which should have little to no taste, the other 25% is the worry if your looking for a true neutral, or on the other hand is were the flavor , good or bad lays if you do want flavour.
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby Hobo » Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:31 am

SBB wrote:
Hobo wrote:My still starts out at about 75% so maybe.

That means you have 75% ethanol.....which should have little to no taste, the other 25% is the worry if your looking for a true neutral, or on the other hand is were the flavor , good or bad lays if you do want flavour.

That's what I figured SBB, this steam catcher of mine is not the best reflux still, but it all comes down to what you have fermented. If it starts out at 75
5 and finishes around 40-505 the other component is obviously water from the wash.

I noticed on my last run, I did a neutral run first and the spirit that came out was nice and clean with a good smell to it.
I emptied the boiler and fired it up again with the remaining wash, except this time I added 3l of 40% spirit that I stripped from a home brew beer that didn't work out.
There was a distinct difference in flavour betweeen the two runs.

I am not getting any off smells or flavours, so all is good.
Hobo

Postby karrotbear » Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:55 pm

I put down a double batch, one on sunday, one on monday (so a week ago).

Same recipe as posted.

I noticed that the initial 'activity' was very vigorous, but after day 3 to 4 there was little to no activity on the airlock. It is sitting clearing now I think, with no gas escaping. Is it normal that it ferments out this quick? Or is it just because I've paid attention and this is normal fermenting time for both this recipe and TPW?
karrotbear

equipment: 2" VM Modular Column (some what awesomely made by me)
2" Pot Still (poorly made by me)

Postby bt1 » Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:59 pm

Howdy,

Weetbix can be dam fast if the temp is kept up to it ... I reckon I nailed one in < 4 days using a DistilaMax yeast with a great yield.

yep your right it does clear pretty well and quick.

bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Postby cuz » Wed May 01, 2013 9:35 pm

I'll say its fast bt1 !!!

I just put down my 1st attempt at this wash and here it is 1/2 hour after pitching yeast!!

I've not seen one of my few TPW's look like that, so bloody fast!!!
cuz

equipment: Boka noobie

Postby jasonc2861 » Thu May 02, 2013 3:05 pm

karrotbear wrote:I put down a double batch, one on sunday, one on monday (so a week ago).

Same recipe as posted.

I noticed that the initial 'activity' was very vigorous, but after day 3 to 4 there was little to no activity on the airlock. It is sitting clearing now I think, with no gas escaping. Is it normal that it ferments out this quick? Or is it just because I've paid attention and this is normal fermenting time for both this recipe and TPW?

Yer I found these ferment real quick at over 30 dgs.some finish in 4 days easy. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
jasonc2861

Postby bt1 » Thu May 02, 2013 8:10 pm

guys,

that picy looks about right...it goes hard

1 small side issue...make sure your pets....yep even your cat don't help them selves in the first hour with lid off...

You can tell cos the cat has a weetbix moe.

owner of a happy cat
bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Postby db1979 » Thu May 02, 2013 8:21 pm

Reminded me of this

db1979

equipment: Eve - 4" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (sieve plates), 330 mm packed section on a keg boiler with 2 x 2000 W elements.
Currently having a makeover: 2" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (1" bubble caps, no sight glasses...maybe not for much longer!) on a bain-marie boiler.

PreviousNext

Return to Recipe Development