Easy Weetbix / All Bran Wash Recipe Discussion

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Re: Easy Weetbix / All Bran Wash Recipe Discussion

Postby Redux » Tue Dec 02, 2014 5:12 pm

Urrazeb wrote:Yeah mate sounds about right. I would have stripped first as I think it's still too flavourful as a single pass but you still got some good stuff there :handgestures-thumbupleft:

stripped before using 5 plates and a packed section??

holy hell.... i thought the neutralizer ment no more stripping runs?
:scared-eek:
Redux

equipment: 5 plate bubbler with 500mm packed section on a 50lt gasser keg ...
set up in a wee shed....

Postby Urrazeb » Tue Dec 02, 2014 6:40 pm

Thats just my preference, single passes for everything else except sipping vodka for me :handgestures-thumbupleft:

If you're using it to flavour (sgd, kaluah, limoncello etc) single pass is fine.

But at the end of the day it's what you want and if you're happy with it
Urrazeb

equipment: Column & pot

Postby Toopy » Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:01 am

:text-+1: for this recipe for neutral/vodka, heap better than the TPW (which in my head keep calling toilet paper wash :wtf: )

So i've started 2 second gen washes and added 500gms of golden syrup and half a can of malt extract to each going from recommendations in the thread and was going for a whiskey, now I realise that I need more vodka for Christmas (as the missus has nearly polished off the 2 bottles I made, she can't keep away from it and reckons it great. The rest went in essences that I'm trying to use up), so my question is,

would I simply be wasting the golden syrup if I run these through the reflux or will it give some extra flavour to the neutral? It's to late to start another wash for vodka to be finished before christmas :angry-banghead:
what to do what to do.....

Maybe I'll just go and buy some vodka, can always use extra bottles
Toopy

equipment: SS T500 copper,
FSD 2" Pot with a squaker

Postby Toopy » Tue Dec 16, 2014 5:45 pm

No one has any input on this?
Pretty sure I know the answer but just wanted some confirmation.
Toopy

Postby Urrazeb » Tue Dec 16, 2014 5:53 pm

You might get a bit of a malty background depending on how you run it of course, but TBH I've never ran a wash like that through through the packing.

I have however accidently ran a UJ thinking it was a neutral (filled boiler week before and forgot 8-} ) and it came out with nice subtle background notes of corn.

I think it'd be nice mate :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Urrazeb

equipment: Column & pot

advice please....

Postby Redux » Tue Dec 16, 2014 6:24 pm

for you guys that 4 plate this wash...

do you oak the results? how much?

i did a 50 lt run of this through the 4 plater last weekend and it smells awesome, just curious bout the oak... i oak my rum at 10g/l.
Redux

equipment: 5 plate bubbler with 500mm packed section on a 50lt gasser keg ...
set up in a wee shed....

Postby Toopy » Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:27 pm

Urrazeb wrote:You might get a bit of a malty background depending on how you run it of course, but TBH I've never ran a wash like that through through the packing.

I have however accidently ran a UJ thinking it was a neutral (filled boiler week before and forgot 8-} ) and it came out with nice subtle background notes of corn.

I think it'd be nice mate :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Thanks for the reply, I think I'll see how it comes out on the strip run and go from there. Wouldn't want all that malt and syrup to go to waste
Toopy

Postby Roger » Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:34 pm

Toopy, how did it go? Did you end up running it through the T500?

Have a WBAB wash down for the first time after many TPW's. Intend to strip through my 2" pot still but unsure whether I will then try it through the T500 (at the risk of making a nice neutral) or then trying a spirit run through the pot still. I haven't yet done a spirit run through my pot still - I understand I need to drop the power on the boiler to slow it down...

cheers
Roger

equipment: Still Spirits T500 Reflux Condenser and Boiler.
2" pot still for stripping runs.
FSD Neutraliser with 50 litre milk can boiler and gin caddy.

Postby Roger » Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:14 pm

Hi all. My second generation WBAB has now been down 6 weeks using the slow acting EC1118 yeast. However it has stalled at SG 1.30 in last two weeks (even though it is very very lightly bubbling still). What do you think?
1. Run it anyway?
2. Throw out and start again but use Lowans bakers yeast this time?
Roger

equipment: Still Spirits T500 Reflux Condenser and Boiler.
2" pot still for stripping runs.
FSD Neutraliser with 50 litre milk can boiler and gin caddy.

Postby Atreu » Tue May 05, 2015 3:14 pm

Hi everyone,

Put my first WBAB wash down last night - SG: 1070, PH: 7, pitched yeast @ 30.5°C :D

Already, it smells bloody lovely. :dance: I'm thinking of using the first gen to make a vodka, then, using the backset, run a few gens so I can fill a demijohn and get that light scotch-y flavour I've read about - just to repeat what I've read elsewhere here, a French oak (medium toast?) will do better than a medium toast American oak, yeah?

Also, with a FSD MAC 4, if I run 4 plates & a packed section at around 1.5 ltr/hr for the vodka, and 4 plates at around 2.5 ltr/hr for the scotch-y flavours I should be right, shouldn't I?

When I smell this wash fermenting, I feel like a kid in a toy store. Lol :)) :happy-partydance:

Roger, I'm not sure, but if the wash is still bubbling/fizzing, I'd assume it hasn't stalled.
Atreu

equipment: 5SD 4" 5 plate Bubbler with Packed Section... And an 8", 5SD inline thumper.

5SD carter head coming soon!!

Postby WTDist » Tue May 05, 2015 4:38 pm

I would of thought a bubbler and packed section would do at least 2 L/h for nuetral/vodka? My t500 does at least 1 L/h and thats slow and i hate it :laughing-rolling:
WTDist

equipment: Building a 4" bubbler with 8" glass thumper

Postby Atreu » Tue May 05, 2015 9:53 pm

Lol WTD;

I hear you... got a 500 myself - however, I've only ever done turdbos :oops: , and then when I knew better, TPW's, so I really have no yardstick to measure how much flavour comes across with a wbab - ESPECIALLY with a 4 plate FSD.
:shock:
I suppose I'm quite wary of pulling TOO much flavour if I run the wbab to fast - I'm looking for just the slightest hint of wheat. I have a mate who got me into this game, and he can't make vodka or gin worth drinking to save himself - my TPW neutral through a 500 is better than anything he has been able to make, but I haven't been blown away yet... I'm a picky bastard, and I'm looking to impress myself! :))
Atreu

equipment: 5SD 4" 5 plate Bubbler with Packed Section... And an 8", 5SD inline thumper.

Postby Sam. » Tue May 05, 2015 11:46 pm

Through my 4 inch 5 plate with packed section 2.5L per hour can be done for nuetrel pulling 95%. :D
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby Atreu » Wed May 06, 2015 5:32 am

Sam. wrote:Through my 4 inch 5 plate with packed section 2.5L per hour can be done for nuetrel pulling 95%. :D

I need a new shed, with a higher roof for that! I'll only have 4 plates and a packed section - I'll have to run it a little slower, won't I, or is 2 l/h slow enough?
Atreu

Postby Sam. » Wed May 06, 2015 7:51 am

I have forgotten to put in the 5th plate before and only run 4 and the packed section and still pulled 95, can't remember rates though sorry :oops:

Even though I know I can push the limits these days if I know I have time I run a bit slower anyway ;-)
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.

Postby Atreu » Wed May 06, 2015 9:19 am

Thanks Sam; that's cemented it for me... For the sake of 3 or 4 extra hours, I'll run it slow. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

In a couple of weeks, I'll post back here and let you guys know how it went. :pray:

Just to double check, French oak is the go, yeah?
And if so, light, medium or heavy toast?
Atreu

Postby WTDist » Wed May 06, 2015 9:32 am

Sam. wrote:Through my 4 inch 5 plate with packed section 2.5L per hour can be done for nuetrel pulling 95%. :D

If you add more plates can this increase your take of rate or does the rate rely heavily on the column diameter?
WTDist

equipment: Building a 4" bubbler with 8" glass thumper

Postby Atreu » Wed May 06, 2015 10:39 am

I think the max takeoff rate is all about the size of the column.

I may not be right, (someone correct me if I'm not) but, I think the rates are:

4" = 2.5 l/h
6" = 5 l/h
8" = 20 l/h

In line thumpers will dramatically increase these rates, however, I'm not sure whether you would use one in a neutral/vodka wash.
Atreu

Postby Sam. » Wed May 06, 2015 11:55 am

We are going a bit off topic here fellas.

Diameter = speed

Height = purity

As for the oak it is personal preference as to french or american or other or toast or char and what level :handgestures-thumbupleft:

As a general rule though I would go with american for bourbons and french for whisky, but thats just me.
Last edited by 1 2many on Wed May 06, 2015 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed double post
Sam.
Lifetime Member

18 Gal boiler.

Postby Mad » Sun May 31, 2015 10:03 am

ok guys. so i've been making TPW for a while now, myself and many others have no problems with the final neutral result or the results from added essences apart from some dodgy essesnces themselves. the missus however isn't sold on the neutral as a "vodka" so I was wanting to try another neutral for her, is this a drier result? think im going to have to end up with something that can kill from 30mtrs away like smirnoff.
Mad

equipment: SS Super Reflux(retired), 3600w keg boiler, 3" stainless boka with 4 Barrel shotty

PreviousNext

Return to Recipe Development