Easy Weetbix / All Bran Wash Recipe Discussion

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Re: easy weetbix / all bran wash

Postby bt1 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:50 pm

Those that try a wb/ab generally prefer it... it's a nice drop as you mentioned.

bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Postby Tsv Stiller » Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:10 pm

Hey All,

I will have my first run completed this sunday after my cleaning and sacrificial runs, i have a 21 liter wbab thats been in the fermenter for 12 days and just after some advice ;

- I checked the hydrometer yesterday and its reading around 930, i assume that will be fine to run and its not bubbling any more that i can notice. Its quite clear until it gets down near the tap and looks to be a fair bit of sediment, i am planning on just taking whatever comes out the tap and leaving the sediment behind.

- I will have the ability to control my heat so potentially i can run this nice and slow which will give me something to bottle and flavour, do people generally get a better result with this recipe by stripping a larger quantity then doing spirit run? I am just curious because i might try that next time.

Once i have made cuts i will let air overnight in jars then look to maybe essence a bottle straight up and age some, does anyone drink this as is with a mixer or over ice?

Cheers
Tsv Stiller

equipment: 2" Pot still (JayD Special)
50 liter Keg boiler
2400w electric element with Voltage controller

Postby JayD » Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:22 pm

it's good to go...just stay away from the murk. I would strip it as fast as I could saving up my low wines for a 40% slowww spirit run, do proper cuts air, then run your nose over it again, get rid of any suspect smells then put some oak in and leave for a couple of weeks. I have some atm the moment on french oak..taste test tonight, will report back on how it tastes. Heres a photo of it in my jug...

2runs.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JayD

equipment: JayD's Copper Worx

Postby Tsv Stiller » Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:26 pm

Hey JayD,

Thats looks great, keen to hear the taste test results. You had mentioned running it this way to me previously and will definitely go down that path. Can you give an indication of how much the stripping run should produce and is there a minimum amount of low wines i need to produce before watering down and running the spirit run?

Cheers
Tsv Stiller

equipment: 2" Pot still (JayD Special)
50 liter Keg boiler
2400w electric element with Voltage controller

easy weetbix / all bran wash

Postby Dominator » Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:08 pm

Tsv Stiller wrote:Hey JayD,

Thats looks great, keen to hear the taste test results. You had mentioned running it this way to me previously and will definitely go down that path. Can you give an indication of how much the stripping run should produce and is there a minimum amount of low wines i need to produce before watering down and running the spirit run?

Cheers

I usually get 5.5-6L from a strip run on a 25-30L wash. No minimum on how much low wines to run. If your using and electric element make sure your element will remain covered through the whole run or you will burn you element out.
Dominator

equipment: 2" Pot Still/Hybrid
4" Perf Plate Bubbler
50L Keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements

Postby Sam. » Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:31 am

@TSV Seems like you have done it right that should be finished at 996 or thereabouts :handgestures-thumbupleft:

As for will it be "better" to save it up and do a big run, that's up to time constraints not so much how "good" it will be.

If you have already stripped it now you are doing a slow spirit run the only difference is going to be the volume you take off. ;-)
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby spit'n'shine » Sat Aug 17, 2013 6:04 pm

Did a 50l batch of this over the last 2 weeks.. Ran it today through my boka. WOW! I wasn't sure if I'd notice the difference between the TPW (only done TPW until now). Much drier finish, and noticably smoother, and can be drunk straight out of the still. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

I got exactly what I was hoping for... A nice Vodka! A good step forward from TPW, even though TPW is a fantastic, easy product to make. If you haven't tried this recipe yet, you must!!
spit'n'shine

equipment: 2" Boka , 2" Pot still , 4" 4 plate column blockhead "Angry Bob", 50l keg boiler (gas)

Postby Mark » Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:25 pm

Since I posted in this thread there's a couple of things I now do differently which I think improves the weetbix vodka.

First, I found 5kg of sugar is better than 6kg to 28 liters volume, as it ends up as a higher grade of alcohol. High sugar volume will mean more alcohol but the extra stress on the yeast means more unwanted off flavours. Drop the sugar.

Next, don't bother juicing lemons, grapefruit or limes to lower the pH. Just chop them up and blender them. Pour the mush into the sugar solution when inverting. The skins (oils in them) adds flavor that carries over from wash to still. It's also a lot easier to do than juice. Any citrus will do the job, though I'm not sure if oranges have sufficient citric acid to create the acceptable low pH fermentation environment? If they do they'd be ideal too. Anyone tried oranges?
Mark

equipment: pda-1 w/ext
15 gal ss boiler

Postby Mr Four Square » Sun Nov 10, 2013 3:01 pm

I put down 2 identical 25 litre washes of ABW yesterday. Hydrated the yeast in 2 litres of warm water for the first. Pitched the yeast straight into the wash for the second.

Aerated and air locked them both.

First wash took off within 10 minutes and hasn't stopped since. 24 hours later and not a peep out of contestant number two. I know it is working because of the gas it's giving off. Next time I'll be hydrating those yeasties before I throw them in the pool.

First, I found 5kg of sugar is better than 6kg to 28 liters volume, as it ends up as a higher grade of alcohol.

5 kgs on 28 litres?
Mr Four Square

equipment: T500 Boiler 2"pot head + reflux

Postby dogbreath vodka » Sun Nov 10, 2013 3:31 pm

Have you checked to see that the fermenter is sealed properly and not bypassing the airlock?

That is if you are using an airlock

Try pitching more yeast and stirring the shyte out of the wash... plenty of aeration.

I do 4kg in 25ltrs and get good results.... 5kg in 28ltrs would give you just under 11%
Yeasties would be happy with that.

DBV
dogbreath vodka

equipment: "Steampunk 2 - 6" Bubble cap
"Jimmy" the 4" Carter head

Postby bt1 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:06 pm

+1 on dbv comments,

a smear of Vaseline on the rubber fermenter seal doesn't go astray either or could use the 4 x price fermenter seal=Vaseline in any case.

I've never met a yeast yet that doesn't benefit from rehydration in warm plain water, then gradually brought down to fermenter temp slowly and that includes the mass brew just get it done Lowans.

bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Postby Aussiedownunder01 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:32 pm

Got a shock this morning my 70 litre [2 welded keg fermenter ] last night in the shed was talking on the phone [fermenter with a tpw it was kicking up a din ] so turned off the airlock valve :oops: went out this morning no bubbling shit finished already then I realized it was under pressure turned on valve and wosh was like draining a full air compressor :))
Aussiedownunder01

Location: So close to melbourne airport you can hear the plains
equipment: 100 litre boiler with a 4 in 5 plate bubbler on top with a 500 packed section standing by if needed

Postby Mr Four Square » Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:04 pm

Yep I'm using an airlock and both barrels are air tight. Both washes are down to 0.05 from OG of 0.08. Still slowly fermenting. Can I just chuck in a couple of litres of water to dilute the wash and reduce the alcohol and sugar content?
Mr Four Square

equipment: T500 Boiler 2"pot head + reflux

Postby Kimbo » Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:35 pm

Mr Four Square wrote:Yep I'm using an airlock and both barrels are air tight. Both washes are down to 0.05 from OG of 0.08. Still slowly fermenting. Can I just chuck in a couple of litres of water to dilute the wash and reduce the alcohol and sugar content?

Yes you can mate :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby RuddyCrazy » Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:36 pm

G'day Guy's,
Finally got around to putting down a weetbix/cornflake wash with 4kg's of sugar into my 25 litre fermenter along with Epsom salts and one diced lemon, used 80 grams of lowan baker yeast and the SG came out to 1080.

Regards Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Postby whimpy64 » Sat Nov 16, 2013 12:46 pm

Hi Guys and Girls..... Just did my first run of Dj's variation on this recipe and I have to say I was very impressed with the results.

After running this mash through my reflux column I ended up with a yield of 1.5 litres with an ABV of 95%..... just a couple of questions as I am a relative newbie at this wonderful hobby. ( I've been doing this for approx 18 months)

question on the yield..... Is 1.5 litres about the average return on this recipe? and 2: After mixing up a bottle of Jim Beam and doing a taste test with a couple of mates..... we found the drink to be a little on the dry side but the resulting neutral spirit was very clean clear and very very smooth on the mouth to drink.

Just interested to hear your thoughts on the above..... Thanks in advance.

Whimpy :smile:
whimpy64

equipment: Pure Distilling Home Spirit Maker.... Reflux/Pot Still

Postby bluess57 » Sat Nov 16, 2013 12:52 pm

whimpy64 wrote:Hi Guys and Girls..... Just did my first run of Dj's variation on this recipe and I have to say I was very impressed with the results.

After running this mash through my reflux column I ended up with a yield of 1.5 litres with an ABV of 95%..... just a couple of questions as I am a relative newbie at this wonderful hobby. ( I've been doing this for approx 18 months)

question on the yield..... Is 1.5 litres about the average return on this recipe? and 2: After mixing up a bottle of Jim Beam and doing a taste test with a couple of mates..... we found the drink to be a little on the dry side but the resulting neutral spirit was very clean clear and very very smooth on the mouth to drink.

Just interested to hear your thoughts on the above..... Thanks in advance.

Whimpy :smile:

For a 25L wash, about 1.5L of yield is what I'd expect.
bluess57

equipment: keg boiler - 4" copper bubbler

Postby RuddyCrazy » Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:49 am

G'day Guy's,
Well the airlock had leveled out on the wash so did another SG reading and 998 was the result. :D Now off to the shops for more sugar so I can get a 2nd generation started and the stripping run will be tomorrow. Now I have read parts of doing this generation thing but I'm not real sure 100%. So basically with the wash filter it out for the stripping run then about 25% of the backset goes back in. Now I intend to dilute 4kg's of sugar into warm water so as there will still be a heap of solids left say put 1/2 the amount of weetbix in for the next ferment and only say 40 grams of lowans to ensure a good start.

Is that the correct way to do the generation thing as the smell of this wash is so sweet keeping it going for aslong as possible will be the best I reckon.

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Postby Muppet » Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:21 pm

Hey mate, it's better not disturb the sedimant and syphon the wash from the top down, u won't need to add more yeast as long as the liquid you add to the fermenter is under 30deg c. There's a few multi gen washes in the tried and proven, they explain the process quite well. Hope this helps ;)
Muppet

equipment: T500, 4" 4 plate copper bubbler ;)

Postby Vatoe » Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:36 am

Anybody questioning whether or not they should give this wash a try - just do it. Its definitely a winner, much better than the TPW in my opinion :clap: I just made it a per op's directions with the bran and weetbix. I'm putting another down immediately.
Vatoe

equipment: Pure distilling spirit maker

PreviousNext

Return to Recipe Development