Easy Weetbix / All Bran Wash Recipe Discussion

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Re: Easy Weetbix / All Bran Wash Recipe Discussion

Postby P3T3rPan » Thu Oct 15, 2015 6:30 am

TasSpirits wrote:So I have been doing a somewhat bastardised version of this wash for a while. While waiting for my single malts to age I needed a quick ageing whisky with out resorting to HBS. So recipe as follows:
20 crushed weetbix
4kg Sugar
1.25kg lightmalt extract
top up to 25L
pitch Malt Whisky Yeast Starter at 30'
Run through 3 perforated plates
Age on med toast american oak

Final product after 1 month=good
3 months= very good
Subsequent gens=even better

Latest batch upto gen 7

makes a fine drop IMHO

Thans to the original Creator ^:)^

If you are doing gens you can cut the weetbix back heaps on subsequent runs
P3T3rPan

equipment: Self made 100mm copper,6 perforated plates plus packed section on 50L ss keg
60L fermenters. Offset Carter Head
3v beer rig

Postby WTDist » Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:31 am

when i stripped this the other week it tasted somewhat like a beer off the still. Same with my CFW. since i havent done strip runs before modding my still im unsure what a whiskey white taste like or anything for that matter. strip runs were a T500 reflux run. im not sure with the flavour they are ment to give white.

is this right? distilled beer so a beer flavour until aged on oak?

currently really hung over from drinking this all night as a vodka :puke-huge: (-|
WTDist

equipment: Building a 4" bubbler with 8" glass thumper

Postby TasSpirits » Thu Oct 15, 2015 2:21 pm

If you are doing gens you can cut the weetbix back heaps on subsequent runs

That was the plan originally, the Wife puts most of the sugar ads together for me, wires got crossed and thats how the fist 3 gens were done :)) . Once I realised what had happened, I just let her run with it, don't want to do all the work myself. this is the last gen anyway so next time Ill get here to change it.
Last edited by Sam. on Thu Oct 15, 2015 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed quote
TasSpirits

equipment: Some FSD Gear as well as some home-made

Postby WalterWhite » Thu Oct 15, 2015 4:50 pm

I have my 3rd gen of this fermenting now.
1st was as per recipe ...
2nd all I added was 8 weetbix, 5kg sugar and 5L hot backset per 27L
3rd I added 12 weetbix, 5kg sugar, 5L backset and 1/2 teaspoon of Epsom, DAP and citric per 27L
Maybe on the 4th gen I will forget the weetbix and just add allbran??
Just tried some of the white that I have had on oak chips for two weeks and it's pretty bloody good on its own. I also gave a vodka drinking mate a bottle and he reckons it beats the bottom shelf vodkas hands down. Hopefully with my next run through extra packing it will be even better.
WalterWhite

equipment: 35L Digiboil with power control, 2” copper pot combo with optional extended column.

Postby P3T3rPan » Thu Oct 15, 2015 7:54 pm

I have one on gen 13.
One row of weetbix (11?)
One box All Bran
Take out Half of trub
Easy on the backset. Just enough to melt the sugars
P3T3rPan

equipment: Self made 100mm copper,6 perforated plates plus packed section on 50L ss keg
60L fermenters. Offset Carter Head
3v beer rig

Postby Professor Green » Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:15 pm

Hey guys,

Can someone give me an indication of what this is supposed to smell like? I've got a few batches just at then end of fermentation and they smell a bit like a cider which is not quite what I was expecting.

Cheers,
Prof. Green.
Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Postby WalterWhite » Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:46 pm

Yeah it dries out pretty sour mate. Mine have that acidic ciders smell when done as well so hopefully that's what it's meant to smell like! :handgestures-thumbupleft:
WalterWhite

equipment: 35L Digiboil with power control, 2” copper pot combo with optional extended column.

Postby Rowey » Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:02 pm

Mine was the same but after 6 months on oak I have nearly drank it all :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Rowey

equipment: Turbo 500, built a pot still, Boka. Currently building a 4 inch bubbler

Postby xcvator » Sat Dec 12, 2015 6:47 pm

Ok,Ok you blokes have convinced me to have a go at this stuff :smile:
Friday
So, for 2x27 litre washes
rehydrated 2 x 80 grams of Fermex bakers yeast in jugs of tepid water
2x16 weet bix ground up in my tender little hands and put into buckets and covered with about 6 litres of boiling water each and given a vigorous stirring and left to sit.
Dissolved 2x5 kgs of raw sugar in the fermenters with more boiling water with a pinch of epsom salts and citric acid added for good luck.
Dumped the buckets of weet bix mush into the fermenters on top of the sugar and blasted the bejesus out of it with a garden hose set to "jet" untill I had about 23 litres at about 36 c . then added the rehydrated yeast and again blasted it all with the garden hose until I had about 27 litres of wash in total, checked the temp and it was spot on 30c, how good was that :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Saturday
Oboy this stuff is bubbling and gurgling like my guts after I've had a feed of baked beans and hard boiled eggs but smells a lot better :laughing-rolling: got it all wrapped up in an electric blanket and it's sitting on 32c

Hitting it the mix with the hose has got to be the easiest way ever to mix and aerate a wash, and I like easy coz I'm a lazy old bastard
xcvator

equipment: 2" MacBoka
2" Copper Pot still Head
50 Litre keg on a 16000 watt 4 ring gas burner

Postby WTDist » Sat Dec 12, 2015 9:06 pm

:text-+1:

i miss using the hose to airate and fill up :laughing-rolling:

my fermenters are inside now in the garage so ts the stick blender of me but this does a good job too with mashing up everything. hose airates better IMHO though
WTDist

Postby xcvator » Mon Dec 28, 2015 1:25 pm

I did my strip run yesterday on this wash . So now the question and answer time :?
The majority of it came out at 60% is this normal for a pot still 1st run ?
Should I run it through the pot still again and then oak it or oak it as is ?
Or would I get a better result to put on oak if I ran it through the Boka then on oak ?

Yeah I know, more questions than on "The Chaser" :teasing-neener:
xcvator

2" Copper Pot still Head

Postby rumdidlydum » Mon Dec 28, 2015 2:31 pm

xcvator wrote:I did my strip run yesterday on this wash . So now the question and answer time :?
The majority of it came out at 60% is this normal for a pot still 1st run ? :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Should I run it through the pot still again and then oak it or oak it as is ? Run again :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Or would I get a better result to put on oak if I ran it through the Boka then on oak ? :handgestures-thumbdown: that will strip the flavour you want in it.

Yeah I know, more questions than on "The Chaser" :teasing-neener:
rumdidlydum

equipment: The infamous Illuminated chicken leg boiler, Rum glass and other bits and bobs

Postby xcvator » Tue Dec 29, 2015 7:30 pm

So, I've put down 4 x 27 litre drums of this again today.

Now I've got a couple of questions about the ingredient amounts, the original recipe calls for 3 cups of crushed weetbix and 3 cups of crushed allbran.

These "cups" are they measuring cups or just garden variety coffee cups, and the crushing, just how fine should that be ? I know that this may sound a bit pedantic but bear me out . A measuring cup is 250mils, if I hand crush weetbix to fill 1 I will use about 4 biscuits or 16 to a litre, however if I bung em through a blender I use half a 1.12 kg packet for a litre ( 4 cups ) which is nearly double the hand crushed amount :o

The other thing about this wash is that I put this down at about 3:30pm, it's fizzing along ok, but there is about 30mm of sediment in the bottom of the fermenters already, is this ok or should I stir it up each day

cheers Keith
xcvator

2" Copper Pot still Head

Postby Professor Green » Tue Dec 29, 2015 8:34 pm

I'm no fermentation expert by any stretch however I've done a couple of these now and I used about a row of weetbix (about 15 biscuits) which roughly equates to 3 cups when roughly crushed (i.e.. squezed until they fall apart) and 3 cups of uncrushed all bran per 30l fermenter. Out of 8 ferments so far, I've had 100% success. I made the assumption that it was measuring cups which is about 250ml but I think this, like many of these recipes, is fairly forgiving so it probably wouldn't matter if you use a tea cup or a mug or a measuring cup.

I get a reasonable amount of sediment early on too. I don't think there is any need to stir it up; I think the fermentation process itself (which for this wash goes reasonably hard) will stir things up naturally.

Cheers,
Prof. Green.
Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Postby WTDist » Tue Dec 29, 2015 11:26 pm

i sometimes have sediment up to 5L line. may use too much but it taste good. i just compensate by adding 3 or so more liters in. you will know when you taste it if you had enough in. not sure if i ever counted just threw a lot in :))
WTDist

Postby xcvator » Thu Jan 07, 2016 3:51 pm

My 4 wash's fished on Sunday and have been sitting quietly, but they don't appear to be clearing very much. I just took a sample from the top and it looks like skim milk, smells ok :? How long does it normally take to clear enough for a run :think:
xcvator

2" Copper Pot still Head

Postby scythe » Thu Jan 07, 2016 5:16 pm

A week or 2 seems to do it most of the time.
scythe

equipment: Dreaming of a 4" bubbler

Postby WTDist » Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:42 pm

last few runs i did, hmm 2 today and one at the moment :)) did not clear all the way. couldnt be bothered waiting. once i see it starts to drop i run it. once most has dropped that is and FG is good :handgestures-thumbupleft:
WTDist

Postby Urrazeb » Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:45 pm

WTDist wrote:when i stripped this the other week it tasted somewhat like a beer off the still. Same with my CFW. since i havent done strip runs before modding my still im unsure what a whiskey white taste like or anything for that matter. strip runs were a T500 reflux run. im not sure with the flavour they are ment to give white.

is this right? distilled beer so a beer flavour until aged on oak?

currently really hung over from drinking this all night as a vodka :puke-huge: (-|

Yeah it's very cerealy off the rig but gets good after a few months on oak :handgestures-thumbupleft:

It'd be showing good signs now hey mate?
Urrazeb

equipment: Column & pot

Postby WTDist » Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:02 pm

Turned those into vodka after stripping run. only got my controller working a few weeks ago, and made a 2" bubbler that is slow at 600-800ml hour 91%. still the last tail jar i collected today on a half weetbix half corn flakes was damn nice off the still with coke, even though it had tails. got another half WB and CF batch sitting on oak with some tails in it on purpose. liked the way it tasted, also added a heads jar. 4L @ 66% but i intend to let it evaporate to about 55-60%. il crack it open on my anniversary in a few months :handgestures-thumbupleft:
WTDist

PreviousNext

Return to Recipe Development