Traditional Appalachian Sweet Mash Corn Whiskey Discussion

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Re: Traditional Appalachian (U.S.) sweet mash corn whiskey

Postby bayshine » Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:42 pm

WOW :wtf:
Just finished double distilling a scaled down 60 lt batch of appshine and would have to say mntshine you are da man :D :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Straight of the still and in the fridge on some toasted oak and 5 hours later and with some coke I can say I have never tasted anything like it :o :handgestures-thumbupleft:
After cuts and then dilluting down to 65 % I only got 2 lt (poor convertion ) but am stoked to have busted the ag cheery
Don't know why I bothered putting it in a jar with some toasted oak, as I don't think its gunna make it till the mornin :mrgreen:
I split the left over lees and grains and had another 60 lt batch all cooked up and now have two 60 lt batches of sour mash bubbling away :music-deathmetal:
all I can say is thanks mntshine ^:)^ :text-thankyoublue:
bayshine

equipment: FSD 6 inch 5 plater block head On a FSD 100lt pro boiler
3” copper reducer bokka on a keg boiler

Postby Linny » Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:50 am

Well ive been patient , havent tasted it yet. but just finished my final gen scaled down ,,, i now have 8L @ 65%... now to give it 3 months :scared-eek: , plan was to try and age this while my ujsm is being used ... problem is ive still got 6L as well :laughing-rolling: ... yep i think im done for the winter. :crying-blue: might try some small batches of peated scotch to keep me interested
Linny

equipment: 4 Plate 3" Glass Bubbler - 50L Boiler
50L BIAB Temp Controlled Mash Tun

3" Carter Head Soon to Come

Postby MtnMoonshiner » Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:47 am

Pintobootleg wrote:Just a question Mtn,followed everything to a Tee,have too,its's just that there seems to be a shit load of grain in the fermenter,like half full :think: :think: Sound about right?? :wtf:

Without looking at your fermenter, yeah sounds about right.
MtnMoonshiner

equipment: 50 gallon (roughly 190L) copper pot still, with a 10 gallon (roughly 38L) thump keg, as well as a 20 gallon still with 5 gallon(roughly 19L) thump keg for small specialized runs, and experimentation.

Postby Cane Toad » Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:53 am

Cool,thanks mate,it smells wonderful in the shed this morning....a sweet mash whiskey fermenting away and Cinderella coming up to temperature,with a charge of mystery feints and shit I'd forgotten to label,or was drunk when I labeled it :laughing-rolling: :handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Cane Toad

equipment: where's my football :(

Postby vsboost » Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:49 pm

Hey MtnMoonshiner

How many grams in 2 packages of yeast?

Cheers
vsboost

equipment: Pot Still, 2" Boka

Postby MtnMoonshiner » Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:09 am

I use Fleischmans active dry baking yeast. There's 1/4 oz per packet whatever that comes out to in grams. But it doesn't matter really how much you use, as the yeast will reproduce exponentially until it reaches the carrying capacity of your mash. The only thing you'd be doing by adding more, is speeding up the process a little.
MtnMoonshiner

equipment: 50 gallon (roughly 190L) copper pot still, with a 10 gallon (roughly 38L) thump keg, as well as a 20 gallon still with 5 gallon(roughly 19L) thump keg for small specialized runs, and experimentation.

Postby crow » Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:26 am

Just use Lowans vsboost, Flieschmann's is an american brand of pretty much the same yeast :handgestures-thumbupleft:
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby vsboost » Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:57 am

Cheers
vsboost

equipment: Pot Still, 2" Boka

Postby MtnMoonshiner » Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:08 pm

crow wrote:Just use Lowans vsboost, Flieschmann's is an american brand of pretty much the same yeast :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Thanks for clearing that up, Crow. I didn't know it wasn't sold down there :doh:
MtnMoonshiner

Postby Fatherjack » Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:15 pm

MtnMoonshiner wrote:I use Fleischmans active dry baking yeast. There's 1/4 oz per packet whatever that comes out to in grams. But it doesn't matter really how much you use, as the yeast will reproduce exponentially until it reaches the carrying capacity of your mash. The only thing you'd be doing by adding more, is speeding up the process a little.

1/4oz = 7grams

In the recipe it said 2 packets = 14grams for 200L fermenter

I added 80grams to each of my 25L washes 8-} ,,, as well as puking on stripping would the extra yeast effect the taste? as mine was not so great tasting straight off the still but is mellowing after 2wks in the cupboard
Fatherjack

equipment: 50l keg boiler
Mac pot still

Postby MtnMoonshiner » Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:12 pm

I'm not sure if it would affect the taste much as far as liquor is concerned. I don't think I've ever added as much as you did haha. I know the yeast changes the flavor of beer because it's still in the beer when you drink it. But I'm not sure about the flavor after being distilled. I'll have some time to kill when I get back to stilling, so I'll do some experimentation.
MtnMoonshiner

Postby DevilsBugs » Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:48 am

Ok, Im a little confused :-\ about the sour mash recipe of this..
Do I , take half the grain out, add half the malt and corn. or just corn or malt ?
Do I add any sugar ?
Im going to add 3L of backset to a 27L batch, does this sound ok ?
Sorry, I couldnt pick this out of the posts. :-\
DevilsBugs

equipment: Essencia Reflux Still, 25l boiler.

Postby MtnMoonshiner » Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:58 am

The sour mash portion hasn't really been covered very well. My apologies :doh:

The way I do it, is to take 30% or so of the total backset, and add 70% or so the amount of the fresh grain and corn that I did with the first recipe. You would process the fresh grain in exactly the same manner as before, except I don't add malt. The backset has all the malty goodness you need to run another batch. You can however add malt if you like.

Once this new mash has cooled enough, add the same amount of yeast as before. At this point, your new "sour mash" is ready to ferment, and takes the same time as the "sweet mash" did. I still don't add any sugar unless it's too hot. But you're welcome to experiment as you see fit. The same rules for sugar apply as before though with the proof.

Now, one thing you can experiment with if you want: The amount of backset you add, determines the amount of "sour" flavor you'll get. I personally wouldn't add more than 30-40% of the backet to make the new mash, but keep in mind, that whatever amount of backset you add, you should try to balance it out with fresh grain. For example, if you add 40% backset, you should add a total of 60% new grain etc...

3L of backset to 27L sounds like it will work very well. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

If this doesn't make sense, please PM me or post again to the thread and I'll do my best to explain. Also, I hope you enjoyed the first run! :D
MtnMoonshiner

Postby Vatoe » Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:01 am

This thread has been quite for some time. I'm going to give this recipe a go (about 50 litres worth) as I can get most of the ingredients pretty easily. Anyone care to tell me what it tastes like after some aging on oak? Also thinking running on three plates (when I am able to) to lower the proof into the 80's for flavour carry over or should I just run it on four plates faster?
Vatoe

equipment: Pure distilling spirit maker

Postby crow » Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:00 pm

yeah sure, after just a relatively short time on oak It is something quite out of the box. On dark toasted oak it has a bold spicey sweet grain whiskey flavor with notes of dark chocolate, caramel and maybe a mild walnut finish (yes I am tasting it as I type) :laughing-rolling:
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby Vatoe » Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:22 pm

crow wrote:yeah sure, after just a relatively short time on oak It is something quite out of the box. On dark toasted oak it has a bold spicey sweet grain whiskey flavor with notes of dark chocolate, caramel and maybe a mild walnut finish (yes I am tasting it as I type) :laughing-rolling:

Oh man, you made my mouth water then :-D

Turns out the HBS only had toasted barley - not malted barley. Got to find me some of that.
Vatoe

Postby bayshine » Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:42 pm

i would have to say that this recipe is awesome :handgestures-thumbupleft:
i would highly recommend it
but unless you need a good workout i would get a 240v drill and a plaster mixer :dance:
bayshine

equipment: FSD 6 inch 5 plater block head On a FSD 100lt pro boiler
3” copper reducer bokka on a keg boiler

Postby Vatoe » Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:39 pm

Geez this wash goes off, even a 50 litre version :scared-eek: with 10 litre head space had some issues :wtf:
Vatoe

Postby tickle » Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:41 am

Hell yeah it does!! Wait till you taste it though, it's great.
tickle

equipment: 4" 4 plated bubble cap,

Postby Vatoe » Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:53 pm

tickle wrote:Hell yeah it does!! Wait till you taste it though, it's great.

Actually looking forward tot saying it. What ABV did you run it at?
Vatoe

PreviousNext

Return to Recipe Development