Traditional Appalachian Sweet Mash Corn Whiskey Discussion

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Re: Traditional Appalachian (U.S.) sweet mash corn whiskey

Postby SBB » Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:31 pm

Well here we go again, Its gunna get like the TPW thread, everyone wanting to fuck with the original recipe before they even try the original to see how it works.
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby Kimbo » Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:40 pm

SBB wrote:Well here we go again, Its gunna get like the TPW thread, everyone wanting to fuck with the original recipe before they even try the original to see how it works.

crow wrote:In which case bt1 you will need to follow the OP's advise/recipe.

:text-+1:
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby MacStill » Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:40 pm

SBB wrote:Well here we go again, Its gunna get like the TPW thread, everyone wanting to fuck with the original recipe before they even try the original to see how it works.

Yep, then the PM's... "help my wash is stuck, I followed your recipe" but changed it :laughing-rolling:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby SBB » Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:48 pm

It fuckin pisses me Mac, it like someone who cant cook going out n buying a cook book. Reading the recipe, and saying " fuck that I know better....I wont do it that way"........then they grizzle about the meal they end up with. I have nothing what so ever against people experimenting, in fact I think its great they do, without experimentation the whole show stalls and stagnates. But at least start another thread for your experiments.
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby MacStill » Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:53 pm

SBB wrote:It fuckin pisses me Mac

I feel your pain & agree.

:handgestures-thumbupleft:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby Cane Toad » Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:46 pm

:text-thankyoublue: :text-+1: Couldn't agree more
Cane Toad

equipment: where's my football :(

Postby Cane Toad » Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:47 pm

Especially when MM has told us that this recipe has been used time and again
Cane Toad

Postby emptyglass » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:27 am

I'm all for tradition, even if I don't know what the tradition is.

I'm looking forward to making some, then getting a big block dodge to run it arround to my mates. Trouble is my grandad had a stovebolt chev, so I have a conflict there.
Only thing I want to buy for this mash is 100lb of yeast and some copper line.

I'm looking forward to popping my all grain cherry on this one.
emptyglass

Postby MtnMoonshiner » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:14 am

WineGlass wrote:]...I'm looking forward to making some, then getting a big block dodge to run it around to my mates. Trouble is my grandad had a stovebolt chev, so I have a conflict there.
Only thing I want to buy for this mash is 100lb of yeast and some copper line...

EG, a big muscled up car would attract attention. May I recommend a "Ute" as y'all call them lol.

As for the copper line, as soon as I'm home, I'm planning another still build for a friend's education on the matter. I think I'll post instructions and pictures of the process if anyone is interested?

SBB, I could care less if someone messes with the process and recipe. If it works for them, great. If it don't, then it don't. There are people here who know a lot more about the scientific end of this craft than I do. My know how is mostly "tribal knowledge" if you will. If someone messes with it, and it works better, let me know, and let me know why. I'd rather learn, than stick with an older method that doesn't work as well as the new....just because "that's just the way it's done around here" lol.
MtnMoonshiner

equipment: 50 gallon (roughly 190L) copper pot still, with a 10 gallon (roughly 38L) thump keg, as well as a 20 gallon still with 5 gallon(roughly 19L) thump keg for small specialized runs, and experimentation.

Postby bt1 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:38 am

Howdy,

Can a mod lift my last post on to the suggested post topic please?

reckon I followed the general original recipe as best I could. The only 2 changes really where to soak the corn over night and allow a enzyme rest break is about all I can see. Did this based on reading Crow's adventures in grain.

A couple of things learnt that may help others giving it a try.

I'd thought pre soaking the corn overnight may help but having now done one I can see Mtm's original recipe adds corn to boiling water...stay with this guys as the soaked tends to stick to keg base or it does on gas at least. So first thing learnt.

Crow thanks on temp issue it's about how it panned out simply increased temp after reading a bit more on the enzyme needs....just left the small burner ring on (std 3 ring burner) for about 2 hours. so second thing learnt. Once at temp using the small ring on a 3 ring burner outside is about right for those wanting to do a 50lt mash in a SS keg, just check it occasionally.

I didn't use enzyme drops cos when I went to pick it up at local HBS he'd got the containers wrong so next time ...just to help on conversion.

Cos it's a new wash for me and just unsure on things did a couple of basic tests...Iodine it came up pass nice and brown...surprised me so did it again and yep all good.

The hydro crept up from 1030 to 1070 so surprised again it's got plenty of sugar in it. A mate who's not a smoker was around and he tasted it. He reckons the corn "hides" the sweetness and would have to agree with that. so third thing learnt...taste alone ain't no guide for sugar present, use a hydro to test it.

I see why you mix your grains in a separate lot of wash it clumps and would be bloody difficult to mix it in main wash. So another thing learnt.

I added the small amount of malt to the top of main wash as you mentioned but did not notice too much action. Would this suggest it was too cold by that stage you think?

Running it cooler as you suggested at about 26 degrees is this about right? and have resisted the temptation to add any more sugar that the scaled down 2kg you recommended.
It took off after adding yeast it certainly is no slow starter and looks fine right now.

Looks like you ferment on the grain, correct me if I'm wrong. I strained the mash into a fermenter as the grain takes up heaps of space and is really thick. I also can't ferment in the original SS keg.
It's still got plenty of solids in it that got through. Thinking was transferring the liquid off would make it much easier to rack to still later and be easier to handle.
Mtm, do you think this will be ok or is transferring the grain bed to the fermenter critical? I can always do this next run.

bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Postby MtnMoonshiner » Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:20 pm

bt1,

Yes, I ferment on the grain for two reason. One, simply because that was the way I was shown how to do it. And second, because when I run the wash, I just scoop it out with a bucket and if I want to ferment on the old grain again it's not a big deal at that point. I've never tried it otherwise, but I'd imagine it makes a difference if the wash sits on the grain and allows the enzymes to eat away at it a little more. Not sure though.

And as far as temperature, I'd day that anywhere between 26C, and 30C is optimum. Try adding the malt on top next time when it's still a little warmer. Though I doubt that step in the process makes too big a difference, I included it again simply because that's the way I was shown.

What is the iodine test, and what does it indicate?

Originally you'd posted about flushing or washing the grain in a bucket with holes drilled in it? Can you explain to me briefly what this process is, and what is the intended outcome?....just trying to pick up new knowledge, hints and tips.
MtnMoonshiner

equipment: 50 gallon (roughly 190L) copper pot still, with a 10 gallon (roughly 38L) thump keg, as well as a 20 gallon still with 5 gallon(roughly 19L) thump keg for small specialized runs, and experimentation.

Postby Linny » Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:36 pm

MtnMoonshiner wrote:
What is the iodine test, and what does it indicate?

Originally you'd posted about flushing or washing the grain in a bucket with holes drilled in it? Can you explain to me briefly what this process is, and what is the intended outcome?....just trying to pick up new knowledge, hints and tips.

Iodine test is where you take a small sample after doing your rest , add a couple of drops of iodine ,,, if there is still starch in the mash that hasnt converted it will turn purple

Im guessing Bt is talking about sparging after the wash ? but its not really needed if your fermenting on the grain
Linny

equipment: 4 Plate 3" Glass Bubbler - 50L Boiler
50L BIAB Temp Controlled Mash Tun

3" Carter Head Soon to Come

Postby MtnMoonshiner » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:52 am

Thanks!
MtnMoonshiner

Postby Cane Toad » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:33 am

Hey MM,what sort of ABV do you reckon you are getting once your mash is fermented out,with out the sugar???
Cheers
CC (Alvin) :laughing-rolling:
Cane Toad

Postby MtnMoonshiner » Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:17 am

Alvin Chipmunk wrote:Hey MM,what sort of ABV do you reckon you are getting once your mash is fermented out,with out the sugar???
Cheers
CC (Alvin) :laughing-rolling:

After it's all said and done, it normally comes out around 100 to 110 proof. By adding sugar you can expect that to go up to about 140 to 150 proof. Of course you'll need to double distill.

One thing I forgot to mention. When one run is done, I always save the tails, and add them to the new wash after it's fermented and distill them along with the new wash. So if you're planning on mashing a second batch, I recommend doing that.
MtnMoonshiner

Postby Cane Toad » Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:28 am

Na,what I meant was the ABV of your mash,before you distill it :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Cane Toad

Postby MtnMoonshiner » Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:32 am

somewhere around 5% to 8% I'd guess? I've never checked it with a hydrometer to be honest though. It's just my best guess....I'll check it next time
MtnMoonshiner

Postby Cane Toad » Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:19 am

That's ok mate,was just wondering is all,I've got enough UJ put away to last me for a while :D :D so after reading your recipe,I thought "fuck it",I'm gunna give this AG a go :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Trouble is ,I ain't done no AG before,and the working out of conversion rates and all that means I'm gunna have to do some reading :angry-banghead: Just lazy and busy is all :laughing-rolling:
I could wing it I spose,but I'm a bit like you,nothing under 200l,and if I start fucking up a few grain bills,the learning curve could start to get a bit expensive :handgestures-thumbdown:
Cane Toad

Postby bt1 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:49 am

thanks mtm,

Appreciate it. I wish I could use the same keg I did the mash in but it's a shared keg housemate uses it for boiling molasses to clarify fairly regularly so I've little choice but to transfer to a fermenter. I'll include most of the grain bed in this weekend's run.

Yeh I thought before sugar she's going to be around the 7.5 - 8.5% mark that's what the hydro was telling me.

I didn't sparge/wash the grains as originally posted. At the end of 6 hours I'd was well over it. In the past AG beer days given you use so little grain compared to this recipe,
to release the final sugars from the grains we used to place grain in a bucket that had base drilled out sit on top of fermenter and pour 80c water lightly through it...

sparging is the term the beer guys use....it was always worth it extra sugars for free :D
really only of value where your transferring to a separate fermenter, although a few say it alters a beers taste as well.

I'll persist with a few more scaled down 50lt washes and see how it goes. In any case Mtm thanks for the inspiration to have a crack once again at AG.. I'd gotten well lazy do simple grain/sugar heads.

bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Postby halfbaked » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:37 am

Mountainmoonshiner WE would love to see pics of that Traditional Appalachian still or stills.
halfbaked

equipment: still lookin

PreviousNext

Return to Recipe Development