Traditional Appalachian Sweet Mash Corn Whiskey Discussion

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Re: Traditional Appalachian (U.S.) sweet mash corn whiskey

Postby MtnMoonshiner » Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:12 pm

BackyardBrewer wrote:Good question Jayd, I'm always amazed that the mash ferments instantly and they never seem to need to do a stripping run!

Magic of television eh?
;-)

Not quite magic. The mash fermenting speed, sure. I'm not sure if you know what a thump keg is, but it's what most of us use over here to alleviate the need to make multiple runs through the still.
MtnMoonshiner

equipment: 50 gallon (roughly 190L) copper pot still, with a 10 gallon (roughly 38L) thump keg, as well as a 20 gallon still with 5 gallon(roughly 19L) thump keg for small specialized runs, and experimentation.

Postby MtnMoonshiner » Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:19 pm

MacStill wrote:
MtnMoonshiner wrote:
Cupcake wrote:Just looking for a grain mill now :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

If you're gonna mill your own stuff, make sure to mill it nice and slow, so it doesn't get too hot during the milling process. That heat will destroy some of the qualities in the grain.

Oh dont worry bout that, he's a Queenslander, they all move real slow over there :handgestures-thumbupleft:

:laughing-rolling: :teasing-tease: :laughing-rolling:

I spent some time up in Cairns, and Townsville once for a while. You're right, the pace was slow.....but I sure as hell wasn't complaining about it! :D
MtnMoonshiner

equipment: 50 gallon (roughly 190L) copper pot still, with a 10 gallon (roughly 38L) thump keg, as well as a 20 gallon still with 5 gallon(roughly 19L) thump keg for small specialized runs, and experimentation.

Postby MacStill » Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:24 pm

Specially Cupcake, he's flat out lifting his knuckles off the ground when he walks :laughing-rolling:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby Cane Toad » Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:27 pm

Oh my :whistle: Mac's on fire today,or he's been into the rum a bit earlier than usual,which is probly closer to the mark :handgestures-thumbupleft: Hey MM,I'm just north of Townsville,great fermenting weather all year round :handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft:
The place isn't slow.... It's layed back :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
Cane Toad

equipment: where's my football :(

Postby googe » Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:44 pm

North QLD is no place to be if you want to work, the lifestyle just fucks that completely :laughing-rolling: . When I lived there, we only reason we worked was to pay for grog/fishing/exploring :D
googe

Postby Cane Toad » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:27 pm

100% correct Googe :D
Cane Toad

equipment: where's my football :(

Postby emptyglass » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:55 pm

I think I might give this one a go.
I have to finnish off my slivovitz to free up a drum, but I'm thinking this will be my all grain virginity looser here.
Its getting onto the cooler months here, so I might not add sugar.

How do you think it would go through a plated column, MM?
If you guys over stateside are not familiar with them, we got a few guys here running them, lol.

Sounds like a nice drop, with a bit of heritage.
emptyglass

Postby bt1 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:35 am

+1 EG,

I really like the single vessel and less complicated process.

Hunting down a large stockpot/drain system.

bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Postby crow » Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:50 am

My mash tun is just a keg with the top cut off, not saying its a particularly good way be it was cheap and easy. I ferment on the grain so no need for any drain I just bucket it out :handgestures-thumbupleft:
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby Linny » Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:33 pm

Stupid ME :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead: about to put this down ,,, only just realised i ordered the amounts for rye and barley back to front :laughing-rolling:

Lucky im doing a smaller batch , will have to get more rye LOL ... Hey Brendan ,,, i got heaps of barley :-D
Linny

equipment: 4 Plate 3" Glass Bubbler - 50L Boiler
50L BIAB Temp Controlled Mash Tun

3" Carter Head Soon to Come

Postby 1 2many » Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:55 pm

Damn good write up MM .I will give this a shot once i graduate from a TPW . :D :handgestures-thumbupleft:
1 2many
Lifetime Member

equipment: Portable A.G brewery ,#001 5 STAR blockhead 4" Modular 4 plate SSG with,6"inline thumper, 2.5" 9 tube shotgun, packed section, Boiler 50 ltr inverted keg 4"still mount, 2.4 Kw FSD elements 1"drain.

Postby Kimbo » Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:27 pm

Brilliant tutorial MM, thanks heaps for that Mate :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby MtnMoonshiner » Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:29 am

Kimbo wrote:Brilliant tutorial MM, thanks heaps for that Mate :handgestures-thumbupleft:

No problem! Anything to help the cause! BTW, your picture is hilarious...I think those very same words every time I drink :))
MtnMoonshiner

Traditional Appalachian (U.S.) sweet mash corn whiskey

Postby BackyardBrewer » Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:34 am

I'm loving the insight into these recipes and techniques, really valuable asset to have here.
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

equipment: Solid Copper Love Machine (Plated column bubbler), hand made with love by a forum member
50L keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements
PURE distilling Reflux still + a tonne of homebrew gear amassed over 10 years of brewing.

Postby emptyglass » Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:59 am

:text-+1:
emptyglass

Postby bt1 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:20 pm

Howdy,

I'm on for tomorrow ...at last...

Took Crows advice vandalised a 50lt SS keg ...it's now a boiler.
So grain bill will be
6kg cracked corn
3kg malted rye...dark like bloody spectacular stuff...thanks Beerbelly!
2kg Barston Galaxy pale malt cos it has the highest conversion rate goodies for the starch to sugars
2kg sugar

process looks like:
pre soak corn over night in 20lt water ( it's underway)
Bring to boil ...until well well soft...gelatinise corn not sure on actual temp needed here
Drop by adding more water to 62C
Add both malts, allow conversion, add amylase enzyme drops
Hold at 62c for 2 hours may be more based on iodine test
Top up water to bring temp down
Not fermenting on grain, avoids protein issues hence no rest for protein.
Sit new grain flusher ( a fucking bucket 15lt sits right in neck of fermenter, with about 150 2mm holes drilled in the base to suite fermenter neck size, flush lightly with 80c water to release all grain held sugars...beer days this trick
Add dissolved sugar
Malt on top and rest as per original post

So thoughts or suggestions?

bt1
bt1

Postby MtnMoonshiner » Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:50 am

bt1 wrote:
So thoughts or suggestions?

bt1

I don't have a clue what half that stuff means :)) But, I'm hear to learn too. I once I've figured out what you're talking about, I'll try it your way!
MtnMoonshiner

Postby crow » Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:05 am

Of cause you are going to sacrifice some flavor by sparging but I got my doubts you will eliminate or even reduce excess proteins. It is my understanding that protonase enzymes break down proteins into nutrients the yeast can use, as far as I can tell skipping this rest won't be benifical. I think you could have some issues with slower fermenting/stalling and puking due to excessive proteins in the finished mash (beer) :whistle:
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby bt1 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:12 am

I'll keep that in mid for next run,

main issue is right now it's been sitting at 62c for about 1.5hours and there's barely any sugary /sweet taste. I waiting for a sample to cool currently to do iodine and SG reading but geez it tastes like a real low yielder.
How long do you guys normally rest at 62c

The Irish using a very sloppy mash potato, 3kg clean weight with 1 lt barley malt is sweet in minutes, this is my recent only comparo...

not expecting this yield but hell its tastes low.

bt1
bt1

Postby crow » Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:31 am

bt1 wrote:I'll keep that in mid for next run,

main issue is right now it's been sitting at 62c for about 1.5hours and there's barely any sugary /sweet taste. I waiting for a sample to cool currently to do iodine and SG reading but geez it tastes like a real low yielder.
How long do you guys normally rest at 62c

The Irish using a very sloppy mash potato, 3kg clean weight with 1 lt barley malt is sweet in minutes, this is my recent only comparo...

not expecting this yield but hell its tastes low.

bt1

In which case bt1 you will need to follow the OP's advise/recipe and add the suggested amount of sugar. At 62 degress you are avtivating beta amylase but you are not fully activating alpha amylase. Doing a mash this way relies on the assumption that the alpha amylase will slowly work during the ferment converting and breaking down long chain (unfermentable sugars) while allowing the beta amylase to also convert maltrose during the ferment. If you raise the mash to say 69' you will denature the beta amylase for sure but you will fully activate the alpha amylase, that is bring the mash to the temp range required for the optimin working temp for that enzyme, I think between 68 and 71' from memory. I don't do this rest anymore but I am starting to think that for some of my mashes that didn't seem to convert so great maybe I should include this rest instead of saying fuck it and adding sugar :icon-lol: :icon-lol: :icon-lol:
crow

PreviousNext

Return to Recipe Development