Traditional Appalachian Sweet Mash Corn Whiskey Discussion

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Re: Traditional Appalachian (U.S.) sweet mash corn whiskey

Postby baldoss » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:57 am

Just be careful you don't take the photo with anything too modern otherwise you might end up with all that tracking/gps location information embedded into the metadata behind the photo. Wouldn't want the DEA or ATF (or whatever agency hassles you US shiners) pinning you off that!

Source: http://www.digital-photo-secrets.com/ti ... ur-photos/
baldoss

equipment: 2" copper pot still with liebig condenser on 50L ss keg boiler (gas)

Postby halfbaked » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:42 pm

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Good to know. Any ideas on how to not do this?
halfbaked

equipment: still lookin

Postby Canadoz » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:17 pm

halfbaked wrote:WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Good to know. Any ideas on how to not do this?

http://digitalconfidence.com/downloads.html
Canadoz

equipment: Modified stainless Keggomax CM reflux column, Copper 2" modular pot still with shotgun condenser. 50L Keg boiler w/ 3500W & 2500W elements, Phase angle controller.

Postby MtnMoonshiner » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:22 pm

Definitely! I turned the geo tagger off on my phone a long time ago, but I'm still a little paranoid about what I take pictures of with it. I suppose slight paranoia and being overly cautious at times is what's kept me out of the slammer! Haha

I'll be out on business for a few more months, then I'll make a writeup and post some pics. I've got a friend back home who's a hobbyist, uses several different kinds of stills. He was telling me he'll only use the more primitive kind of pot still that I use, for making whiskies. I've never used a reflux, so I wouldn't know, but he said the reflux variety tend to suck out most of the flavors. It might be worth it for some of y'all who are into the finer whiskies to hammer one out and give it a go.
MtnMoonshiner

equipment: 50 gallon (roughly 190L) copper pot still, with a 10 gallon (roughly 38L) thump keg, as well as a 20 gallon still with 5 gallon(roughly 19L) thump keg for small specialized runs, and experimentation.

Postby MtnMoonshiner » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:15 pm

bt1 wrote:...I'll persist with a few more scaled down 50lt washes and see how it goes. In any case Mtm thanks for the inspiration to have a crack once again at AG.. I'd gotten well lazy do simple grain/sugar heads.

bt1

I'm assuming you tossed the old grain. If you plan on mashing out a third batch, may I suggest making it a sour mash? If you'd like directions for that I'd be happy to pass them along.
MtnMoonshiner

equipment: 50 gallon (roughly 190L) copper pot still, with a 10 gallon (roughly 38L) thump keg, as well as a 20 gallon still with 5 gallon(roughly 19L) thump keg for small specialized runs, and experimentation.

Postby MtnMoonshiner » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:26 pm

Alvin Chipmunk wrote:...nothing under 200l,and if I start fucking up a few grain bills,the learning curve could start to get a bit expensive :handgestures-thumbdown:

It could turn into a very expensive lesson.

Fuck it! Just wing one and see where it goes! :)) No better way to learn in my opinion.
MtnMoonshiner

Postby Cane Toad » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:40 pm

:handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft: just what I was thinking mate :laughing-rolling:
Cane Toad

equipment: where's my football :(

Postby emptyglass » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:03 pm

You got me thinking Alvin,
It would cost me about $115 to put on a 200l batch, at my current grain prices.
I reckon I've made worse losses on lesser things (so, do you have an excuse for speeding, son?)
I'm just gunna wing it, like MM said, and hope for the best. If it all goes south, well I made some expensive garden mulch.
If it works, I should have made some good hooch for bugger all.
emptyglass

Postby bt1 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:31 pm

Guys,

Mtm if you have any advice on re using the grain bed I'm more than happy to listen. issue here for good quality grain other than wheat and perhaps corn we pay a hefty price...ideas to save a $$$$ are more than welcome

This ain't a cheap wash.. but you'll do what ever you fancy...I'd chosen to learn on a 50lt scaled down version so I can do a few.. why not... more opportunities to learn on a smaller scale.. and the boiler only does 50lt.

two things to add...

Go grab a decent 1" /25mm broom handle from Bunnos cos this is one thick heavy biatch of a mash and your normal "super" fermenter paddle won't move jack shite.

I cut the end with a hacksaw to get a thin cut made up a tapered copper insert and bolted it in... to make a mash paddle, I could use with both arms...believe me you'll need it...
Second thing I'll do differently this weekend is drop to the 62 mark to get the enzyme rest and then up quickly to 69 ~ish to get conversion... where's that oat bloke when you need him...calling all registered Crows...

bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Postby emptyglass » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:46 pm

I figure I cant go wrong if I don't mess with the recipie first time round :teasing-neener: .

Advice on stirring taken.
emptyglass

Postby bt1 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:59 pm

Geez EG,

your taking the piss here

I've just re scaled the original not reinvented it... I wish I could do 200lt washes but $130 of grain is a hurt for me...I know your flush with funds however :D

Hey I'm happy to try as Mtn is the only bloke who has posted a traditional recipe of this type he's used and that deserves ...credit ...he also got me off my butt to re go AG brews

btw You doing the enzyme breaks?

bt1
bt1

Postby MtnMoonshiner » Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:08 am

I don't do enzyme breaks.

And holy poop on a stick! I didn't realize this kind of grain was that expensive down there!

Take out half the old grain. Follow the recipe as before but with only half the ingredients. You'll also use the sugar this time. You don't need to use the malt because those enzymes are still in the old grain. Add your new mash to the old grain and stir it up real good Simple! That's how I do it anyways. And I've done that up to four or five times in a row.

I think you said you bought pre malted barley. If that was the case then you can exclude that and replace it with an equal amount of corn or rye....that's also why I malt my own grain instead of buying the pre malted stuff.
MtnMoonshiner

Postby MtnMoonshiner » Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:36 am

A 22.6 Kg bag of corn cost about $17, 22.6 Kg of rye, and barley both cost about $40 if I buy it from the feed store. From a farmer I'd get it cheaper, and probably be able to trade some already finished product as well for it.
MtnMoonshiner

Postby DrunkASAskunk » Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:26 am

how many liters or gallons you get out of you 200 liter wash Mtn??
DrunkASAskunk

equipment: what i the diff

Postby MtnMoonshiner » Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:34 am

DrunkASAskunk wrote:how many liters or gallons you get out of you 200 liter wash Mtn??

It varies every time, but I can normally expect roughly 20L...give or take a few. That's heads, hearts, and tails.
MtnMoonshiner

Postby bt1 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:44 am

Howdy all,

rather keen to get on with this this weekend. last week's ferment is done is clearing very nicely, smells reeeeal good. It's into the still tomorrow for a first run.

Second wash, re scaled as suggested and a few rum washes go down tomorrow as well.

bt1
bt1

Postby MtnMoonshiner » Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:44 am

bt1, How'd it turn out for yah?
MtnMoonshiner

Postby bt1 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:56 am

dam well in fact,

It really settles like considering the amount of solids suspended in the wash during fermentation it as clear as after settling.

taste great off the still, won't comment on yield as I had a syphoning drama ...let's just say the kitchen floor resembled a kids wading pool,

Good abv, run was straight forward no ups and downs on the old plater. It's airing currently, very few heads cut jars from smell and taste.

I'll be doing a few more were I can get the numbers on yield abv etc... rather keen.

bt1
bt1

Postby MtnMoonshiner » Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:48 pm

bt1, I'm really happy you're pleased with it. I hope the next run works out better for you i.e, no pond in your kitchen haha.
MtnMoonshiner

Postby DrunkASAskunk » Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:52 pm

I am prity new to making my own booze so I got few stupind questions about some of the grains that go in to this mix. I have done the old google serch but not realy having any luck in finding the right ansers I am looking for.

Q1. The barley that is used is that the beer making type or is it the type
that is used for stock feed it would make sence if it was the beer type
but I am hoping it might be the other because of the cost of the beer
type.

Q2. rye meal. I have done a google serch and I get few diffrent things
that come up from it. I think I need to pick up whole grain rye flour.
It contains all of the bran, germ and endosperm of the original rye
kernel.

Dried cracked yellow corn is prity cheap where I am at 1 clam per Kg.

thanks guys
DrunkASAskunk

equipment: what i the diff

PreviousNext

Return to Recipe Development