Traditional Appalachian Sweet Mash Corn Whiskey Discussion

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Re: Traditional Appalachian (U.S.) sweet mash corn whiskey

Postby Linny » Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:53 pm

He is in Newcastle nsw, but ships pretty much everywhere and has tonnes of stock .... literally

http://www.ubrew.com.au/web/index.asp

I just used malted rye and ale barely... hope it helps :handgestures-thumbupleft:

You can also select what type of grist you want
Linny

equipment: 4 Plate 3" Glass Bubbler - 50L Boiler
50L BIAB Temp Controlled Mash Tun

3" Carter Head Soon to Come

Postby emptyglass » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:13 pm

I went to the home brew shop, got 10kg rye meal and 5kg of malted barley, whole. Cost about $45 for both. I got the better part of a bushel of cracked corn and a sack of sugar on hand.
I'll be dumping the leftover plum scum, freeing up a 180 litre barrel.

The old duck in the brew shop grinds barley by hand up to a kilo or so, she didn't appreciate my remark about buying it just so I could watch her mill it up.

So next is to mill the barley. I de-handled the little grister and replaced the handle with a cordless drill. I gave it a little go, and its a pissa, just got the other 4.5 kg to do now. The size of the crack is variable, from just broken open down to corse flour.

Appalachian whiskey, here I come.
emptyglass

Postby bt1 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:23 pm

Howdy,

good luck EG just keep an eye on the old syphoning hose.. wish I did... :oops:

Drunk I went a low EB malted barely for taste reasons ..I can't say with any certainty for this wash however I can say plain un malted barely in the Irish's I've done is bloody pointless... it turns up heady and very bitey. MM said barely malt ...for the enzyme sugar conversion...without a malt you go no enzyme activity.

For rye used a malted rye.. could just use a ground rye =meal your choice I reckon.

Beerbelly down at Prospect Rd for the grains...can't go wrong.

bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Postby emptyglass » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:59 pm

The brew shop here doubles as a home bread making shop too. I walk in there, they have single row, double row, 6 row, caramel malt, pilsner, and heaps of others. I just asked for plain malted barley.

I'll follow the recipie, then start varying it from there, but at least that should give me a base line to know what to expect.

The fella in the shop raised an eyebrow when I asked for the rye meal. "Are you sure?" he asked. They had it in the bread making section in 5kg bags, so I got 2 bags.

I dragged my 18 gal keg out, that should give me 68 odd litres or so of boiled water capacity. I'm working on an imperial gallon conversion, I hope thats right, that gets me close enough to the 75 litres, allowing for my 180 litre fermenter. I'm doing 20 litres less than the recipie, so I just knocked the top off all the quantitys, not getting too scientific about it though.
Last edited by emptyglass on Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
emptyglass

Postby Kal » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:59 pm

how hard is it to malt your own barley?

Can buy a 30Kg bag for under 17 bucks here in NSW from horse feed places. If it's just a simple soak in water, let it germinate, then dry it out it would save alot of money!
Kal

equipment: 50L keg boiler
2" bok still
4" plate still

Postby emptyglass » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:04 pm

From what I read, its not hard, but you need space to let it germinate, a kiln of sorts to stop the germination, and some way to rotate the grain during germination so it dosn't go moldy.

I'd like to give it a go one day, but not tonight. Or tomorrow, or probably this year.
emptyglass

Postby MtnMoonshiner » Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:27 am

Kal wrote:how hard is it to malt your own barley?

Can buy a 30Kg bag for under 17 bucks here in NSW from horse feed places. If it's just a simple soak in water, let it germinate, then dry it out it would save alot of money!

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=3327

It's pretty easy. Just takes a little time. Just need some time and a burlap sack or paper bag
MtnMoonshiner

equipment: 50 gallon (roughly 190L) copper pot still, with a 10 gallon (roughly 38L) thump keg, as well as a 20 gallon still with 5 gallon(roughly 19L) thump keg for small specialized runs, and experimentation.

Postby halfbaked » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:16 am

Mount Shine where do you get your grain/malt and what does you have to pay for it? Do you make all your malts or buy some?
halfbaked

equipment: still lookin

Postby washington » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:09 am

Hey, mtn!
Quick question. Would it be alright to use malted corn instead of cracked corn?

Thanks!
Wash
washington

equipment: nothing finished yet!

Traditional Appalachian (U.S.) sweet mash corn whiskey

Postby BackyardBrewer » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:29 am

Unless I'm reading it wrong the corn has to be malted then cracked? It's not just cracked corn kernels is it?
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

equipment: Solid Copper Love Machine (Plated column bubbler), hand made with love by a forum member
50L keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements
PURE distilling Reflux still + a tonne of homebrew gear amassed over 10 years of brewing.

Postby washington » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:36 am

BackyardBrewer wrote:Unless I'm reading it wrong the corn has to be malted then cracked? It's not just cracked corn kernels is it?

You must be right! I'm a bit thick, sorry!

Wash
washington

Postby bt1 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:44 pm

I read it the other way

-22kg(50lbs) of dried cracked yellow corn. The kind without any additives or other grains, that you'd buy at a feed store to feed chickens.

bt1
bt1

Postby emptyglass » Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:17 pm

MtnMoonshiner wrote:Some final points. The barley and rye are optional but add a fantastic flavor in my opinion...However, you can use just straight corn(I recommend trying just corn eventually and seeing which you like best).

You can use corn malt, or barley malt. It doesn't matter which, but you need to use some kind of malt, because it aids the yeast in breaking down the sugars into alcohol. If you decide to use corn malt, just subtract the amount of barley malt from the total amount of corn. for example, 50lbs of corn total, but if I don't use barley malt I would use 13lbs of malted corn, with 37lbs of unmalted corn for a total of 50lbs. And then add unmalted barley and rye in their prescribed amounts.

:D
emptyglass

Postby washington » Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:23 am

WineGlass wrote:
MtnMoonshiner wrote:Some final points. The barley and rye are optional but add a fantastic flavor in my opinion...However, you can use just straight corn(I recommend trying just corn eventually and seeing which you like best).

You can use corn malt, or barley malt. It doesn't matter which, but you need to use some kind of malt, because it aids the yeast in breaking down the sugars into alcohol. If you decide to use corn malt, just subtract the amount of barley malt from the total amount of corn. for example, 50lbs of corn total, but if I don't use barley malt I would use 13lbs of malted corn, with 37lbs of unmalted corn for a total of 50lbs. And then add unmalted barley and rye in their prescribed amounts.

:D

Haha, I know... I've said it before, I'm not the brightest! :oops: But my question was more along the lines of - Could we do the original recipe, except with All Malt - malted corn, malted barley, and malted rye? I would think it would provide maximum sugars and more toasty malt flavour.

thanks,
Wash
washington

Postby bt1 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:51 am

fair point EG,

haven't read that far :oops:

Geez it would add more costs but... btw blended cuts real well.

bt1
bt1

Postby halfbaked » Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:56 am

It is malt and then crack most def.
halfbaked

Postby MtnMoonshiner » Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:13 pm

BackyardBrewer wrote:Unless I'm reading it wrong the corn has to be malted then cracked? It's not just cracked corn kernels is it?

halfbaked wrote:It is malt and then crack most def.

As far as using all malted grain, I don't know. I've never tried or even thought about it to be honest. If you give it a shot, let me know how it comes out.

As for the malted/cracked corn questions. I actually malt whole corn, and then grind it into meal. If I'm not using corn malt, I use the cracked corn without grinding it. I always have plenty of it on hand in either form.

I buy my corn at several locations, depending on who has enough. A lot of times I just buy it at a feed store. a 50lb sack of cracked or whole colonel corn costs about $30. Rye and Barley both cost about $50 per 50lb sack. I always malt my own grain, simply because pre malted is more expensive, and I don't always use a particular grain in a malted form. So it don't make much sense for me to buy malted and un malted, when I can buy one for cheaper and turn it into both.
MtnMoonshiner

equipment: 50 gallon (roughly 190L) copper pot still, with a 10 gallon (roughly 38L) thump keg, as well as a 20 gallon still with 5 gallon(roughly 19L) thump keg for small specialized runs, and experimentation.

Postby washington » Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:24 pm

Thanks, mtn! I reckon i'm not as dumb as I thought! It may take me a while to get to it, but I'll try it in your original proportions with all malt and see how it comes out.

wash
washington

Postby MtnMoonshiner » Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:29 pm

Have at it. I'd recommend malting your own grain just cause of the cost. Let me know how it turns out!
MtnMoonshiner

Postby halfbaked » Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:05 am

MMS Thanks I was hopn you had a local place you could pick up some malted. Its not hard but a pain in the A--. If you have the right equipment is is no problem. If you are going to do it it is worth doing in big batches. I have never used it without drying it but understand it is ok to do as long as you take the sprouts off. Do you have any experience with using it wet? I also understand that there is a grain you don't want to malt because if you do it wrong it can be poisonous. Is this true and if so which one is it? What grains do you malt? Do you get most of your grains from a mom and pop feed store or like a Southern States or Tractor supply type chain store. Where I am I get cracked corn for way less than $1lb, more like $15 for 50lb.
halfbaked

PreviousNext

Return to Recipe Development