Traditional Appalachian Sweet Mash Corn Whiskey Discussion

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Re: Traditional Appalachian (U.S.) sweet mash corn whiskey

Postby emptyglass » Fri May 24, 2013 9:38 pm

Mtn, I got issues. Hopefully you can help with one of them...

I can't get this second generation to fire. Basicly did a sugar bump. I added 12kg sugar and 5kg of base malt to make up for what I lost the first time.
Reading over the first post again (I printed it), I probably shouldn't be using sugar this time of year, its getting bloody cold, but I am too tight to waste grain.
I disolved the sugar in some hot backset and added 30-35 lites of hot backset (say, 65c?) with the 12 kg sugar that bought it up to 32c, I added some more yest for good measure, in a starter from some of the fluid on top of the wash. It wasn't as stong a starter as the first time, but still started.
I got some action for the first day, but its slowed.

Any ideas?
emptyglass

Postby SBB » Fri May 24, 2013 10:19 pm

Too much backset maybe EG ???? only saying that cause my UJ slows down heaps if I use to much. It fucks with the PH of the wash.
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby emptyglass » Fri May 24, 2013 10:38 pm

Not sure SBB.
I've settled on about 25% backset for my UJ.
30 ish litres didn't seem too much in a 180 litre fermenter. Less some volume for the grain, I'm guessing I put in less than 25%.

Might be time for some pH investigation
emptyglass

Postby MacStill » Fri May 24, 2013 11:50 pm

yeah 25% is pushing it mate, I used to do the same but couldnt get past a few gens without mucking around, 20% seems to do the the trick but I dont bother with the 3rd gen.
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby SBB » Sat May 25, 2013 12:05 am

Drop back to 20% or a bit less EG on ya UJ.........see how it goes...works for me.
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby emptyglass » Sat May 25, 2013 12:12 am

Oh well, this lot might end up as chook food.
This seemed like a pretty simple all grain recipie, and the first sweet mash is (as long as there is enough headspace, :laughing-rolling: )
But there must be a delicate touch to get it past sweet mash.
I just don't seem to have it.
I'm sure its just too f-n cold, but its sort of done now. Cant un-bake it.
emptyglass

Postby tickle » Sat May 25, 2013 12:31 am

Eg, i had the same problem; dont give it up! I used two fish tank heaters, and built an insulated "cooler" ouut of styrofoam insulation sheets. Couple light bulbs hanginng in it, it will come back to temps...re-pitch. Seemd like extra woork, but the cooler and other bits can be used over and over again. We had a couple nights drop to near freeving. All good now!
tickle

equipment: 4" 4 plated bubble cap,

Postby MtnMoonshiner » Sat May 25, 2013 4:39 pm

My guess is that you used too much backset, and it got too cold, like tickle and SBB said. Try heating it up. A trick I like to use it is to pile saw dust, or mulch around my fermenter. But fish tank heaters and light bulbs would work too, if you don't mind paying for the electric. I normally use about 15% backset, and the rest fresh grain. I know it wastes some, but I find it gets the best taste and is easiest to do.

You need a lot of saw dust...but that's something folks are generally willing to give you, just so they don't have to clean it up themselves :laughing-rolling:

I hope this helps...
MtnMoonshiner

equipment: 50 gallon (roughly 190L) copper pot still, with a 10 gallon (roughly 38L) thump keg, as well as a 20 gallon still with 5 gallon(roughly 19L) thump keg for small specialized runs, and experimentation.

Postby Brendan » Sat May 25, 2013 5:00 pm

For those that a keen, you can get a decent pH digital meter online for $40...then you can add backset to the right pH rather than just working on a guessing percentage... :naughty:
Brendan

equipment: 4.99L Essential oil extractor

Postby Mfkerg » Mon May 27, 2013 2:28 pm

Mtn, just want to clarify what I think I am reading through this thread. I have studied this closely whilst waiting for a free fermenter and run my first scaled down to 100L. Took off like a rocket and smells great with a thick cap.

My thoughts on the 2nd gen
Add water to fermenter to keep any yeast happy.
20% backset max
Remove some of the old grains and add the same amount treated the same as 1st gen.
No sugar
Keep the temp at around 26-30 degrees

Does this sound right as I see you mention that they may be enough malt.
Mfkerg

equipment: Pot still and 2" Boka

Postby emptyglass » Mon May 27, 2013 7:01 pm

Good news for me, second gen is firing. I just kept it warm, and it obviously got happy.
Still bubbling well, taste is just a hint of sweetness, so its got a bit to go yet.
:banana-dance:
I added 30 litres backset into 180 litre fermenter. Works out at 1/6th or about 16%
I don't know if its worth sour mashing it anymore. I'm thinking too much of the grain flavor is going to dissapear.
emptyglass

Postby MtnMoonshiner » Tue May 28, 2013 1:11 am

Mfkerg, sounds about right to me!
MtnMoonshiner

equipment: 50 gallon (roughly 190L) copper pot still, with a 10 gallon (roughly 38L) thump keg, as well as a 20 gallon still with 5 gallon(roughly 19L) thump keg for small specialized runs, and experimentation.

Postby DevilsBugs » Wed May 29, 2013 12:55 pm

Thanks to MM for the great recipe.
This has gone straight to the top of the brew list. :-D

Recipe as follows;

25L Batch

3kg Cracked Corn
1.5 kg Cracked Malted Rye (Weyermann)
1kg Cracked Pilsner (Dingerman) Malt
2kg sugar

Method as per OP.

Notes:
Im using Dingerman (Belgian) malt as it is used in high ABV Belgian Beers and has a pale colour with low protein.
I am going to put half on White American Oak and half on Medium Toasted American Oak for a flavour comparison.
Im not to sure about my sugar charge ? either higher or lower ?

Critique anybody ?
DevilsBugs

equipment: Essencia Reflux Still, 25l boiler.

Postby Linny » Wed May 29, 2013 1:01 pm

I did a similar amounts for mine ... turned out well :handgestures-thumbupleft: I had 2.5 kg corn 1kg malt rye 1kg malt ale 2kg raw sugar ... i thought my next one could use more corn ,,, so i think your on the money
Linny

equipment: 4 Plate 3" Glass Bubbler - 50L Boiler
50L BIAB Temp Controlled Mash Tun

3" Carter Head Soon to Come

Postby DevilsBugs » Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:24 am

Put my first batch of this down yesterday, nice cap formed already, smells awesome. I have the fermenter lid on loose, no malt volcanoes yet... :eusa-pray:
DevilsBugs

equipment: Essencia Reflux Still, 25l boiler.

Postby waza » Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:16 pm

DevilsBugs wrote: snip... nice cap formed already, smells awesome. I have the fermenter lid on loose, no malt volcanoes yet... :eusa-pray:

Same here put down 100l today.
So do you punch the cap down and stir it in or just leave it?
waza

equipment: still looking.

Postby MtnMoonshiner » Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:47 am

waza wrote:
DevilsBugs wrote: snip... nice cap formed already, smells awesome. I have the fermenter lid on loose, no malt volcanoes yet... :eusa-pray:

Same here put down 100l today.
So do you punch the cap down and stir it in or just leave it?

Just leave it.
MtnMoonshiner

Postby Cane Toad » Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:38 am

Hey Mtn,200l of this going down as we speak :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Cane Toad

equipment: where's my football :(

Postby MtnMoonshiner » Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:04 pm

Awesome! Let me know what you think, and if you have any questions.
MtnMoonshiner

Postby Cane Toad » Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:34 pm

Just a question Mtn,followed everything to a Tee,have too,its's just that there seems to be a shit load of grain in the fermenter,like half full :think: :think: Sound about right?? :wtf:
Cane Toad

equipment: where's my football :(

PreviousNext

Return to Recipe Development