Traditional Appalachian Sweet Mash Corn Whiskey Discussion

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Traditional Appalachian Sweet Mash Corn Whiskey Discussion

Postby MtnMoonshiner » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:54 pm

EDIT: When I stated that I strip the mash, I was technically incorrect in saying so. All I do is filter the corn/grain from the wash, and run the wash. Because I use a thump keg, I don't need to strip the wash by running the wash multiple times. The thump keg is charged with the tails(lower proof liquor from the tail end of previous runs) to simultaneously remove water and increase the alcohol content. If you don't use a thump keg, or something similar, you will need to strip the wash by making one or multiple runs through your still.

This thread has been started for any one wishing to discuss the making of Traditional Appalachian Sweet Mash Corn Whiskey. The original Tried and Proven recipe can be found in the Tried and Proven section of the forum or by clicking HERE
MtnMoonshiner

equipment: 50 gallon (roughly 190L) copper pot still, with a 10 gallon (roughly 38L) thump keg, as well as a 20 gallon still with 5 gallon(roughly 19L) thump keg for small specialized runs, and experimentation.

Re: Traditional Appalachian (U.S.) sweet mash corn whiskey

Postby MacStill » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:00 pm

Geez mate that's awesome, thanks for sharing :D
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby DrunkASAskunk » Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:35 am

:text-thankyouyellow:
DrunkASAskunk

equipment: what i the diff

Postby MtnMoonshiner » Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:43 am

MacStill wrote:Geez mate that's awesome, thanks for sharing :D

I just realized I posted this under the wrong forum. I wasn't paying attention, and realize now it should have gone to the unproven section. Please feel free to move it there, or delete it, and I'll re-post it in the appropriate area. My apologies :doh:
MtnMoonshiner

equipment: 50 gallon (roughly 190L) copper pot still, with a 10 gallon (roughly 38L) thump keg, as well as a 20 gallon still with 5 gallon(roughly 19L) thump keg for small specialized runs, and experimentation.

Traditional Appalachian (U.S.) sweet mash corn whiskey

Postby BackyardBrewer » Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:20 am

Oh I reckon we'll leave the authentic recipe right here for now:-)

(Unless any other mods feel it should move?)
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

equipment: Solid Copper Love Machine (Plated column bubbler), hand made with love by a forum member
50L keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements
PURE distilling Reflux still + a tonne of homebrew gear amassed over 10 years of brewing.

Postby bt1 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:46 am

geez nice write up with the gritty details..wd!

Have a good second read tonight looks damn fine to me

bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Postby Cane Toad » Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:37 am

Thanks MM :handgestures-thumbupleft: That was a great in depth write up,I would love to see a photo of your setup :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Cane Toad

equipment: where's my football :(

Postby waza » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:20 am

MM great detail easy to follow, thanks for sharing your traditional recipe. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
waza

equipment: still looking.

Postby MacStill » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:29 am

MtnMoonshiner wrote:
MacStill wrote:Geez mate that's awesome, thanks for sharing :D

I just realized I posted this under the wrong forum. I wasn't paying attention, and realize now it should have gone to the unproven section. Please feel free to move it there, or delete it, and I'll re-post it in the appropriate area. My apologies :doh:

I think it's fine right where it is ;-)
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby baldoss » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:30 am

Thanks for sharing mate, looking forward to trying it out one day! :handgestures-thumbupleft:
baldoss

equipment: 2" copper pot still with liebig condenser on 50L ss keg boiler (gas)

Postby JayD » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:45 am

Welcome to the forum...what do you think of the series...Moonshiners..??
JayD

equipment: JayD's Copper Worx

Traditional Appalachian (U.S.) sweet mash corn whiskey

Postby BackyardBrewer » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:47 am

Good question Jayd, I'm always amazed that the mash ferments instantly and they never seem to need to do a stripping run!

Magic of television eh?
;-)
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

equipment: Solid Copper Love Machine (Plated column bubbler), hand made with love by a forum member
50L keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements
PURE distilling Reflux still + a tonne of homebrew gear amassed over 10 years of brewing.

Postby vsboost » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:49 am

Cheers MtnMoonshiner, ill have to give this a go one day
vsboost

equipment: Pot Still, 2" Boka

Postby crow » Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:03 pm

Top write up fella :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Been toying with doing something like this and altering the grain bill on my sour mash, might just do a 70ltr mash first til I'm sure I'm happy with it. Cheers for sharing
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby Cane Toad » Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:22 pm

I agree with Mac,the way MM writes it up,this recipe has been done successfully over many years,albeit flying under the radar of the authorities :laughing-rolling: :handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Am going to do this recipe myself this weekend,using amounts stated,why potentially fuck it up using smaller amounts :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Cane Toad

Postby MacStill » Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:27 pm

Cupcake wrote:I agree with Mac,the way MM writes it up,this recipe has been done successfully over many years,albeit flying under the radar of the authorities :laughing-rolling: :handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Am going to do this recipe myself this weekend,using amounts stated,why potentially fuck it up using smaller amounts :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :handgestures-thumbupleft:

How did I know you'd get excited about this one, least now you might be able to use all those spare IBC's ya got :laughing-rolling:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby Cane Toad » Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:29 pm

Just looking for a grain mill now :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
Cane Toad

Postby MtnMoonshiner » Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:07 pm

JayD wrote:Welcome to the forum...what do you think of the series...Moonshiners..??

Cupcake wrote:Thanks MM :handgestures-thumbupleft: That was a great in depth write up,I would love to see a photo of your setup :handgestures-thumbupleft:

JayD: I've run into Tim and Tickle a few times, even before they was on the show...so I know they're for real. Overall, I think theatrics and such have been added to give a more entertaining entertaining portrayal of life as a criminal hillbilly. It's a fairly accurate portrayal of the job I suppose. I wouldn't start moonshining off of what you seen on TV though, I think it's one of them things you'd have to live to know.

Cupcake: I'd love to post pics of my smaller still when I can. I'm working out of the country at the moment, and as soon as I'm back I'll throw a couple up here. The best I can do right now would be to draw out plans, and post those...if anyone wants.

I'm not some secret government agent sent to arrest everyone, so don't worry. I'm just a helicopter mechanic :))
MtnMoonshiner

Postby MtnMoonshiner » Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:09 pm

Cupcake wrote:Just looking for a grain mill now :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

If you're gonna mill your own stuff, make sure to mill it nice and slow, so it doesn't get too hot during the milling process. That heat will destroy some of the qualities in the grain.
MtnMoonshiner

Postby MacStill » Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:11 pm

MtnMoonshiner wrote:
Cupcake wrote:Just looking for a grain mill now :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

If you're gonna mill your own stuff, make sure to mill it nice and slow, so it doesn't get too hot during the milling process. That heat will destroy some of the qualities in the grain.

Oh dont worry bout that, he's a Queenslander, they all move real slow over there :handgestures-thumbupleft:

:laughing-rolling: :teasing-tease: :laughing-rolling:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Next

Return to Recipe Development