Rum Chat

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Re: Rum Chat

Postby Petulance » Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:09 pm

Here's a question.

If I have 5 litres of TPW neutral to spare, can I add it to the wash (in the boiler) and expect 5 litres more rum as product?

It seems to me that the addition of more ethanol wouldn't bother the production at all. The flavour from the molasses wash should carry through.

Any thoughts???
Petulance

equipment: 4 plate 4 inch modular copper bubbler with 300 mm packed or unpacked extension on 50 litre SS keg. All my own work. It ain't pretty, but it's all mine!

Postby Dominator » Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:14 pm

Petulance wrote:Here's a question.

If I have 5 litres of TPW neutral to spare, can I add it to the wash (in the boiler) and expect 5 litres more rum as product?

It seems to me that the addition of more ethanol wouldn't bother the production at all. The flavour from the molasses wash should carry through.

Any thoughts???

Yeah I reckon it will be fine. Should be plenty of flavour in there. If you were worried, you could chuck some dunder in with it.
Dominator

equipment: 2" Pot Still/Hybrid
4" Perf Plate Bubbler
50L Keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements

Postby Petulance » Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:28 pm

Thanks Dom,

I'm going to try that. Seems to me I can make lots more rum by adding the output of a TPW. At least there will be a decent flavour to it!
Petulance

equipment: 4 plate 4 inch modular copper bubbler with 300 mm packed or unpacked extension on 50 litre SS keg. All my own work. It ain't pretty, but it's all mine!

Postby crow » Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:27 pm

Petulance wrote:Thanks Dom,

I'm going to try that. Seems to me I can make lots more rum by adding the output of a TPW. At least there will be a decent flavour to it!

I wouldn't, can't say it will make any real difference to put it in as to add it after except you will not recover all of it. both ways will water down the rum flavour , one more one less, so more or less "fact" ;-)
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby Dominator » Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:34 am

crow wrote:one more one less, so more or less "fact" ;-)

Ahhhhhhh, I see what you did there... :text-lol:
Dominator

4" Perf Plate Bubbler

Postby moonshinindawg » Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:46 pm

Hey gents!
I have 2 60lt rum washes finished and Im sillin now, but my distillate is dark brown and cloudy, Im guessing thats not normal,
Is it because my boiler is too full? I have it almost the whole way full, should I operate at 3/4 or 2/3

cheers!
moonshinindawg

equipment: Offset Valved Reflux

Postby MacStill » Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:54 pm

:laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

It's what we commonly call puking mate, molasses wash in a boiler needs quite a bit of head space... or a good amount of anti foaming agent.

boiler too full = :puke-huge:

boiler 2/3 full = :dance:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby crow » Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:12 pm

Ah the old foam ups yep they sure are fun x_x
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby newbiboozer » Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:32 am

I'm not a huge Bundy fan but don't mind mount gay rum anyone recommend a recipe.
newbiboozer

equipment: 4" modular plated column in very early stages.

Postby Dominator » Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:25 pm

newbiboozer wrote:I'm not a huge Bundy fan but don't mind mount gay rum anyone recommend a recipe.

I highly recommend starting off with Mac's rum recipe Here, only thing I would add is a table spoon or so of DAP, it will just help it ferment out faster. It is easy and is a damn good rum. Once you have made a few of these you can tweak it to your taste. Adjusting your cuts, amount of dunder and sugar to molasses ratio will all change the end result.
Dominator

4" Perf Plate Bubbler

Postby newbiboozer » Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:03 pm

Where do I buy DAP.
newbiboozer

equipment: 4" modular plated column in very early stages.

Postby Dominator » Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:37 pm

newbiboozer wrote:Where do I buy DAP.

DAP, is diammonium phosphate. I got some from my local HBS, it was labeled as yeast nutrient for wine. You can also get it from online HBS. It is not needed for the wash to ferment, if you have trouble finding some you can use tomato paste (not sauce) instead.
Dominator

4" Perf Plate Bubbler

Postby jdonly1 » Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:55 pm

MacStill wrote::laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

It's what we commonly call puking mate, molasses wash in a boiler needs quite a bit of head space... or a good amount of anti foaming agent.

How do these go in the bubblers Mac ?? :-B
jdonly1

equipment: 50 litre pot still
315 Litre boiler and 4 inch stripper
2 inch VM on 50l Keg (now retired)
4 inch VM (aka the BIG PRICK) on 315litre boiler
Soon to come 6 inch Mac bubblier on 205 litre boiler
6 inch stripper on 300 litre boiler

Postby MacStill » Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:17 pm

jdonly1 wrote:
MacStill wrote::laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

Not sure what you mean mate, care to expand a little ?
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby jdonly1 » Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:49 pm

MacStill wrote:
jdonly1 wrote:

Not sure what you mean mate, care to expand a little ?
Sorry man,I should have explained it a bit better.I no puking is a big problem with pot still with some of the rum ferments,is it any different with the bubblers or do you still have to be as careful ???
jdonly1

Postby MacStill » Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:55 pm

Yeah puke is puke mate, if your boiler is too full it wont matter the type of still you're using.... just with a bubbler you can see the brown foam through the peepers :))
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby kiwikeg » Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:15 pm

@ jdonly great bubbler puke video here viewtopic.php?f=36&t=3898&p=64455&hilit=puke+video#p64455
kiwikeg

equipment: Fsd bubbler

Postby Sam. » Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:35 pm

Haven't done rum but with a grain based puke I have seen it reach the bottom plate before I decreased power then when it settled down you could see it slowly cleaning itself up then after a while it looked fine again :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby jdonly1 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:43 pm

Thanks boys
jdonly1

Postby crow » Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:04 am

yeah I have just put a collar on to lift my first plate higher off the wash, cause this made me think I could put 80 ltrs in now instead of 75. So yeah still had to do some power management, stupid :angry-banghead: stupid :angry-banghead: stupid :angry-banghead:
crow

PreviousNext

Return to Recipe Development