Rum Chat

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Re: Rum Chat

Postby MacStill » Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:41 pm

Thanks for the compliment J, it is a nice drop if I can say so myself :handgestures-thumbupleft:

One thing I'll add here is that I add nothing but medium/heavy toasted oak to mine for aging, and I do think they type of molasses one uses can vary the flavours dramatically.

Another thing I believe is the faster and warmer you can get it to ferment the more of those yummy esters you can pull through the wash, I learnt a long time ago low temp ferments produce an ordinary rum.

:handgestures-thumbupleft:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby greenguy » Sat Oct 05, 2013 2:43 am

Nice one Mac iv just finished a 60 litre wash
and id don't get very warm here so i built me a fridge set up with a bulb for keeping my stuff warm sits at 25-27
mmmmmmmmmmm Rum
greenguy

equipment: Red neck pot still on gas-sooon to be retired
FSD 4' SSG 2x2400 watt FSD elements soon to be

Postby CyBaThUg » Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:55 pm

Okay I made some of macs rum tried it after two weeks on chips and nearly threw up and nearly chucked the whole batch out but luckily I didn't cuz six months on it is the best damn drink I've ever had wow people at work love it and even the wife I'm starting to put more on now cuz it's disappearing fast
CyBaThUg

equipment: pot still

Postby Zak Griffin » Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:45 pm

About to throw my first batch of rum down... filling my measuring jug with molasses as we type. May have hit a snag, though: I don't have any epsom salts... Missus reckons she couldn't find any today.

I DO however have a heap of multivitamins... Crush a couple up and throw them in? Or tomato paste? I dunno, it just needs some nutrients...
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

Postby Lowndsey » Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:46 pm

You don't need epsom salts. I never use anything expect molasses, raw sugar, water and yeast
Last edited by Lowndsey on Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lowndsey

equipment: 2" Bokka

Postby Zak Griffin » Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:47 pm

Cheers for the quick reply!

So just molasses, sugar, water, yeast?
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

Postby Kimbo » Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:49 pm

Molasses is low in magnesium, which is where the Epsom salts help.
The multi vitamins will help as will the tom paste.
You can put the salts in tomorrow without any ill effect :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby Zak Griffin » Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:52 pm

Multivits have a bit of magnesium, I'll chuck one in :D

Cheers guys! This molasses smells deliiiiiicious, and it came in a nice 20L drum with a tap :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

Postby MacStill » Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:55 pm

I've found by not adding nutrients to molasses for fermentation the wash always falls short of completion, it really does need something to give the yeast muscles ;-)

I add epsom salts, vit B pills and DAP :handgestures-thumbupleft:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby Lowndsey » Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:13 pm

MacStill wrote:I've found by not adding nutrients to molasses for fermentation the wash always falls short of completion, it really does need something to give the yeast muscles ;-)

:

Interesting. Never used nutrients in rum once and never had that issue once. Could it be an ambient temp thing?
Lowndsey

Postby MacStill » Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:32 pm

By completion I mean getting the most out of it as possible, just chucking bakers yeast on molasses and water won't achieve this and your yield will be lower than if you do add nutrients.

It's got nothing to do with temps ;-)
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby Lowndsey » Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:11 pm

MacStill wrote:By completion I mean getting the most out of it as possible, just chucking bakers yeast on molasses and water won't achieve this and your yield will be lower than if you do add nutrients.

Ok. I think it's cause when I first started on the rum I read this post of yours in the Tried and Proven rum thread and never bothered with epsom salts assuming there was enough goodness in molasses to keep the yeast happy. Will chuck some in my next batch see if I notice any difference.

MacStill wrote:You could get away without epsom salts, I haven't been using them at all for a few months and haven't noticed any adverse effects.

Cheers.
Lowndsey

Postby Zak Griffin » Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:50 pm

Holy shit this stuff smells good... 40L wash, 4L of molasses, 4kg of raw sugar, 2 vitamin pills and a handful of baker's yeast. In my new homemade 60L wheelie fermenter. I want to run it already! :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

Postby MacStill » Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:05 pm

Lowndsey wrote:
MacStill wrote:By completion I mean getting the most out of it as possible, just chucking bakers yeast on molasses and water won't achieve this and your yield will be lower than if you do add nutrients.

Ok. I think it's cause when I first started on the rum I read this post of yours in the Tried and Proven rum thread and never bothered with epsom salts assuming there was enough goodness in molasses to keep the yeast happy. Will chuck some in my next batch see if I notice any difference.

MacStill wrote:You could get away without epsom salts, I haven't been using them at all for a few months and haven't noticed any adverse effects.

Cheers.

I love it when people quote me from years ago about a comment referring to a few months, that's funny :laughing-rolling:

I could quote 11000 posts since then that could be used against me for an argument, no wonder I dont post much anymore
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby crow » Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:57 pm

Ok got my boiler charged with 60 ltrs of rum wash. This is the first rum I have done in a very long time, since I mashed a fermenter full and got the shits in fact. Just just checked my posts to see how old the low wines were that I put in and the last lot of low wines were pot stilled back on the 22 Nov 2012http://aussiedistiller.com.au/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2672&hilit=the+dreaded+puke
hmm would take further research to find out how old the oldest ones are but fair to say I ran out of rum awhile back and last time I did a spirit run was some time ago so yeah I'm excited :D
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby crow » Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:06 pm

oh man ohmanohmanohman this rum is da stuff :handgestures-thumbupleft: ,. had some fun with the column flooding but it all still tastes pretty damn good to me :D
Edit skanky tails now whoa fast run :handgestures-thumbupleft:
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby greenguy » Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:06 am

Well got 56kgs of fancy mollasses Treacle
its got 72gram sugar per 100 grams I'm shit house with maths and all so what ya reckon for a 50ltr wash at 10-12%
or should i weigh the treacle for a litre and work it out that way being 1 litre should carry 720grams sugar am i rite :angry-banghead: 6 litres would be 4.3kgs
assuming it weighs 1.4kg a litre may b i need 8.4 litres to get 6kg of sugar from the treacle and add 4kgs of raw sugar should give me a 11% wash with a total of 10kgs of sugar
i think for 50litres
Man it hurts to think on Mondays
greenguy

Postby crow » Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:19 am

sounds about right to me, hmm sounds like a pricey wash to me
crow

Postby greenguy » Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:25 am

yea wasn't to bad mate got 2x 28kg pails for $49 each and 25kgs of raw sugar for $32
greenguy

Postby Dominator » Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:37 pm

The amount of molasses you use will dictate the amount of flavour. More molasses will produce a heavy rum and less molasses = lighter rum. The sugar is just to increase the ABV and thus yield. I have found for a 50L wash, 6L of molasses produces a very nice rum.

If 1L of molasses weighs 1.4kg then 1L of your fancy molasses (if it is 72% sugar) will contain 1kg of sugar. (1.4kg x .72 = 1.008kg). So 6L of molasses will have 6kg of sugar. Then just add 4kg of sugar.
Dominator

equipment: 2" Pot Still/Hybrid
4" Perf Plate Bubbler
50L Keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements

PreviousNext

Return to Recipe Development