Rum Chat

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Re: Rum

Postby CyBaThUg » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:34 pm

Haha
CyBaThUg

equipment: pot still

Re: Rum Chat

Postby invisigoth » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:27 pm

unsub wrote:Has anyone tried this yeast? http://stillspirits.com/nz/distillers-y ... yeast.html

Looks interesting, I'm getting some tomorrow and going to put on a wash to test it out to see how it compares to bakers yeast. Even better if I can get some generations going with it.

yeh, a little late i know, but i thought i'd chime in anyways... :whistle:

i used this yeast doing a hooks. it worked well, didn't spew foam. after racking off the first gen to the boiler, the sediment gave me 4 x 50ml aliquots which i put in sterile plastic containers and into the fridge. i didn't bother to wash the yeast, it was left in the spent wash at about 10% abv. one of those containers was pitched for the second gen, and with the addition of the normal amount of nutrients worked just as well for the second gen. a month later i pitched another of the containers into a fairly high grav mead, and it still fermented ok. i think the initial cost can be easily offset by yeast recovery for subsequent fermentations. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
invisigoth

equipment: bte cm reflux head
5l pure distilling pot still
t500 boiler +extra pure distilling lid
diy phase angle controller
diy output extension tube+parrot
3 plate modular macbubbler

Postby hubs » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:54 pm

Letting a Rum wash clear, make any difference to end product taste once distilled?
hubs

Postby Cane Toad » Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:24 pm

A rum wash won't "clear" as such,too many unfermentables in there,wait a few days after the airlock stops bubbling,rack into the boiler and go hard :handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Cane Toad

equipment: where's my football :(

Postby hubs » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:32 pm

Thanks for the info. I`ll give it a go. :D
hubs

Postby Lowndsey » Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:49 pm

Rum chat...MMMMMMM rum. Can you legally marry Mum?
Lowndsey

equipment: 2" Bokka

Postby kelbygreen » Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:28 pm

only if you can convince her to change her name to rum :laughing-rolling:
kelbygreen

equipment: 3" pot

Postby MacStill » Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:30 pm

Lowndsey wrote:Rum chat...MMMMMMM rum. Can you legally marry Mum?

I hope that was a typo :scared-eek:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby Lowndsey » Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:34 pm

:o hahahaha fuck didn't even notice that..... :wtf: That's what happens to my typing when I drink beer. :laughing-rolling:
Lowndsey

Postby Sam. » Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:58 pm

Lowndsey wrote::o hahahaha fuck didn't even notice that..... :wtf: That's what happens to my typing when I drink beer. :laughing-rolling:

How's it get when your drinking rum then :think:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby crow » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:09 pm

sam_and_liv wrote:
Lowndsey wrote::o hahahaha fuck didn't even notice that..... :wtf: That's what happens to my typing when I drink beer. :laughing-rolling:

How's it get when your drinking rum then :think:

Maybe he starts looking dad up and down :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :teasing-tease:
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby SBB » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:30 pm

:laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby hubs » Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:29 am

Gives a new meaning to `come to puppa`. :))
hubs

Postby Lowndsey » Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:17 pm

You sick bastards :laughing-rolling:
Lowndsey

Postby hubs » Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:14 pm

Fully sick bastards :))
hubs

Postby unsub » Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:18 am

it worked well, didn't spew foam

That's actually the opposite of what I'm seeing. I've finally put down a mcrum wash with this yeast and while the other rum washes I've done were vigorous this one is insane. It's lucky I have insomnia because if I didn't check it every couple of hours after pitching the yeast I would have a huge mess on my hands :shock:

As of approximately 10 hours later I still have to stir the foam back down every hour or so or it will overflow. I gave up on the lid with air lock when I screwed it down this morning and all of the water was blown out in about 5 minutes and the foam was touching the bottom of the lid!

I gave it the same amount of headroom as I did for the washes done with bakers yeast in the 30l fermenters I use but this one obviously needs more.

As for smell, it is the usual licorice and vanilla awesomeness it usually is, maybe a little fruitier and with no hint of its "turbo" heritage.

Looking forward to running this one.
unsub

equipment: 4" 5 Plate Column

Postby CyBaThUg » Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:57 pm

Just distilled my first rum wash today and have done my first ever second generation wash but it was 43 degrees here today and I got the water temp down to 40 added more water then added it to the slops in the fermenter but the water that came out was warm and it's sitting on 40 degrees and hasn't started to bubble after an hour should I add more yeast when it cools down more and if so would that taint the second generation wash in any way
CyBaThUg

Postby CyBaThUg » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:07 pm

Or am I supposed to add yeast in every gen
CyBaThUg

Postby unsub » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:12 pm

You will be right. I've accidentally poured 40+ degree water on my lees and killed the yeast and just added new yeast and it kept on going. So if it doesn't take off within a few hours just throw in some more yeast.
Last edited by unsub on Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
unsub

equipment: 4" 5 Plate Column

Postby kelbygreen » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:14 pm

I do, I found that its so slow to kick in some times seems it doesnt but after a while it will. I clean the fermenter out when stripping and mix up the new batch in the fermenter drain the backset to the fermenter and top up to the mark and add yeast. I also let the backset cool in the boiler so usually transfer it the next morning. I cant be fucked and really cant spend to much longer then I do on a given day in the shed so have to split it up a bit.

Fresh yeast will give you a better cleaner ferment and you know its fresh so if it dont fire start looking at PH and all that.
kelbygreen

equipment: 3" pot

PreviousNext

Return to Recipe Development