Rum Chat

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Re: Rum Chat

Postby pocket » Tue May 21, 2013 10:49 pm

Howdy gents a quick question just mixing my first rum. :happy-partydance:
For an old mate who is off around Australia again.
My recipe is McRum Done and dusted nice ^:)^
Ive had some vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, Star Anise, Black Pepper and Orange Zest.
soaking In 40% for a month or two.
Any other ingredients that would be needed.
and may be ingredients Ratios?
I'm looking for a McKraken style.
I'm just playing it by ear at the moment it still smells nice.
I might be late for work tomorrow i recon. :mrgreen:
Thanks Cheers Pocket
pocket

equipment: 3" Colum SS reflux

Postby ticknaylor » Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:51 pm

gunna give some rum a go always been a whiskey/bourbon drinker rum always made me shit through the eye of a needle after a big night so everyone says the commercial rums are heads tasting crap but does the home made remove the hangover explosive shit :laughing-rolling:
ticknaylor

Postby Lowndsey » Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:20 am

ticknaylor wrote:but does the home made remove the hangover explosive shit :laughing-rolling:

if you do your cuts correctly there should be no hangover explosive shit in any homemade spirits
Lowndsey

equipment: 2" Bokka

Postby unsub » Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:42 pm

but does the home made remove the hangover explosive shit

Lol, I have not found an alcohol in the world that stops that.
unsub

equipment: 4" 5 Plate Column

Postby ticknaylor » Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:24 pm

Lowndsey wrote:
ticknaylor wrote:but does the home made remove the hangover explosive shit :laughing-rolling:

if you do your cuts correctly there should be no hangover explosive shit in any homemade spirits

Interesting theory lowndsey its seems to be the universal opinion that commercial bourbon whiskey and rum makers all leave to much heads in there liquors. So why is it when I drink a commercial rum sitting on the dunny the next day is explosive and with bourbon or whiskey it isn't I would of though it was due to the an ingredient in the rum not the heads otherwise you would get the same effect with commercial whiskeys and bourbons which you don't so I have to say I disagree with the heads theory
ticknaylor

Postby Sam. » Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:53 pm

ticknaylor wrote:
Lowndsey wrote:

Interesting theory lowndsey its seems to be the universal opinion that commercial bourbon whiskey and rum makers all leave to much heads in there liquors. So why is it when I drink a commercial rum sitting on the dunny the next day is explosive and with bourbon or whiskey it isn't I would of though it was due to the an ingredient in the rum not the heads otherwise you would get the same effect with commercial whiskeys and bourbons which you don't so I have to say I disagree with the heads theory

If I have too much commercial cheap scotch I get the same thing :puke-huge: (picture that out the other end :laughing-rolling: )

Depends on what your body tolerates I guess :think:

Never had it from my own spirits though :dance:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby crow » Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:35 pm

The green Apple splatters comes mostly from stuff in the tails
As is my understanding
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby DaveZ » Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:07 pm

What are you all using to check the pH of your rum washes? Is there a simple test strip available that works or are you using digital meters? I need to get something to monitor pH.
DaveZ

equipment: 5 plate FSD bubbler with gin basket and packed rock section on a 50L, 4800W keg

Postby MacStill » Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:09 pm

I use a digi ph meter Dave, you can order good ones online from TWOC brewing :handgestures-thumbupleft:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby DaveZ » Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:55 am

Had a look but couldn't find them on their site, but they are available all over. I've got an old PinPoint pH meter here that I used to use in a saltwater aquarium, might be worth grabbing a new probe and resurrecting that. They were fairly exy for probes but I think.

Does anybody use the strips? I grabbed a couple off eBay this morning, at a buck for 80 strips can't really lose. Should at least give me a ballpark to see what's happening.
DaveZ

equipment: 5 plate FSD bubbler with gin basket and packed rock section on a 50L, 4800W keg

Postby crow » Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:31 pm

about $6 for a digital one off ebay :handgestures-thumbupleft:
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Digital pH meter

Postby cps1 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:32 pm

I bought one from Jaycar:

http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=QM1670

Works well , easy to use and clean but $60
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
cps1

equipment: 35 litre riveted copper pot still

Postby ticknaylor » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:21 pm

Got up early sat put down 90l of Macrum/ pintoshine hybrid added 6 swisse ultivites the missus bought me coz I ain't ever taking the pricks and a few deserts spoons of tomato paste because I didn't have time to get some DAP. Man did the fucker explode I mean I put it in the shed coz I thought it might stink and I couldn't believe it how fast it was Perth is cold atm so I thought it might be slow but this shit exploded luckly I got 190l fermenter and had only 90l because I didn't look a it till sunday. It's already slowing now doesn't make sense with the weather but hey spose i'll have to run it and see what comes out. The dog sleeps in the shed so the missus made me tape a hose to the airlock and run it outside so the dog wouldn't suffocate over night :laughing-rolling:
ticknaylor

Postby MacStill » Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:04 pm

ticknaylor wrote:The dog sleeps in the shed so the missus made me tape a hose to the airlock and run it outside so the dog wouldn't suffocate over night :laughing-rolling:

Now that's some of the funniest shit I've read in a while :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby ticknaylor » Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:46 pm

Wondering if one of you rum experts could help me out I ran some rum through a 5 plate bubbler on the weekend didn't collect much opened up in pot mode at about 86% then I collected a shit load of tails to fact where I think I put it in pot mode to early. Just wondering does rum run a little lower in ABV before you need to open up in pot mode because I normally put it in pot mode at 88 or 87 ABV for whiskey?
ticknaylor

Postby ticknaylor » Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:34 pm

Got some more to run this weekend anyone help me out on when the tails arrive in a bubbler this weird run has me stumped?
ticknaylor

Postby SBB » Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:05 pm

I wouldn't be going by ABV, stick to using your nose and taste buds, Im thinking possibly your running to fast , more reflux or less heat , or a combo of both should hold the tails back with a bubbler. In short a slower take off rate should help.
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby ticknaylor » Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:25 pm

thanks mate yeah ill try and run a little slower and see how I go cheers SBB
ticknaylor

Postby MacStill » Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:29 pm

SBB wrote:I wouldn't be going by ABV, stick to using your nose and taste buds, Im thinking possibly your running to fast , more reflux or less heat , or a combo of both should hold the tails back with a bubbler. In short a slower take off rate should help.

:text-imwithstupid:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby crow » Sat Aug 17, 2013 11:02 pm

Put down a rum as per the mac rum tonight . First one since I busted that fermenter full. Just sick of looking at all these old pot stilled rum low wines :razz: goes to show how long its been and yep I'm totally out of rum :laughing-rolling:
crow

PreviousNext

Return to Recipe Development