Tomato Paste Wash (TPW) Recipe Discussion

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Re: Tomato Paste Wash (TPW) Recipe Discussion

Postby Doubleuj » Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:49 pm

Big J wrote:What do you mean when you say "pitch yeast"?

add yeast to fermenter.
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" stainless glasser

Postby Professor Green » Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:40 pm

Pitching yeast is the term given to the act of adding yeast to the fermenter. There's a great glossary here that will help you as you read through the forum.

Cheers,
Prof. Green.
Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Postby RuddyCrazy » Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:28 am

Well first ferment for the new summer fermenting season of course is a TPW. As usual 10 kg's of sugar inverted into a 60 litre fermenter and one small tub of tomato paste. The SG. measured 1060 which is what I am for and used Lowans baking yeast. It started bubbling about 4 hours after seal up now that was a week and a half ago. Today measured the SG and 1030 so getting there and last night at work got some 4 and 7 ph buffer also some Potassium Chloride which is a good salty liquid ph meters like to sit in when not used and freshly calibrated.

The wash measured 3.7ph which is a tad low so put some baking soda in and got it back to 4.5ph. It's sealed up bubbling away so the ph raise should keep those yeasties happy :laughing-rolling:
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Postby RuddyCrazy » Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:11 pm

G'day guy's,
Well checked the wash yesterday and it's down to 1000 so sealed it back up and tonight she's still bubbling away nicely. So this wash should finish in the low 90's I reckon giving me around a 10% wash :happy-partydance:

With the warmer weather thinking now of getting both 60 litre fermenters going with TPW and setting up a 4" pot still to strip the wash then do a 40% spirit with about 40 litres. That should bring a decent yield and I won't have to do TPW for a while :)) :)) :))
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Postby EziTasting » Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:25 pm

Hah I'm with you on that.

I use 1 x 180L drum every 12 months or so (depending on how much Ii gift), storing it thats the issue for me... starting to use empty kegs I have as storage devices... SWMBO made some round cushions for them... so they are now seats in our yard.

We tell people its full of water so they don't tip over easily :laughing-rolling:
EziTasting

equipment: Newbie - Keg Boiler & 4" 4 plate glasser

Postby dans.brew » Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:52 pm

EziTasting wrote:We tell people its full of water so they don't tip over easily :laughing-rolling:

Clever idea... you would want to keep an eye on them though. Wouldnt want anyone tipping out contents to shift their chair. :laughing-rolling:
dans.brew

equipment: Pure Distilling Reflux Still
2" Pot Still with lieberg
4" x 4 plates Bubbler with 2"bubble caps on 50ltr keg boiler

Postby EziTasting » Sun Nov 04, 2018 5:45 pm

dans.brew wrote:Clever idea... you would want to keep an eye on them though. Wouldnt want anyone tipping out contents to shift their chair. :laughing-rolling:

Haha, no I am used to lifting heavy things. Apparently, it’s one of the things I’m particularity good at... :D
EziTasting

equipment: Newbie - Keg Boiler & 4" 4 plate glasser

Postby Ned » Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:06 pm

Thinking of doing a 200L TPW, Have done a couple of 50L in a fridge with temp control at 28 deg. Turned out great.
How do you fellas keep the Olive Drums or Blue Drums at a constant temperature.
What temperature do you aim for. ? :text-thankyoublue:
Ned

equipment: 4" 4 Plate Bubbler with 500m packed section/blockhead and 50 litre milk can. Only the best.

Postby j0sh2008 » Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:24 pm

I do 220L. In summer it's hot enough here to keep itself warm. But in winter I stick a Aquarian heater inside to keep it warm. I aim for 30C using ec 1118 yeast.
j0sh2008

equipment: 4" 5star still - 4 plates + 500mm packed section
100L milk can boiler - 2400W & 3600W FSD elements.
2 X 1000L IBC - Recirculating water

Postby Professor Green » Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:24 pm

I used to use a couple of heat belts connected to a temperature controller. I've just got myself a couple of Eheim thermocontrol aquarium heaters - they come in different sizes to heat different volumes. Haven't tried one yet but I reckon they'll be better than the heat belts. I just need to find a way to secure them inside the fermenter as I don;t think the suction cups that came with them will work.
Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Postby orcy » Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:56 pm

The eheim heaters I have sink, so I just hang them over the edge and let them float around. Some of the cheaper heaters float so you need to be more careful with them
orcy

equipment: Old style T500 style still. honestly, I dont even remember who made it anymore
4 inch soon to be modular pot.

Postby RuddyCrazy » Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:11 pm

I have a 200 litre olive drum here and being summer the average temp in my shed is close to 40C everyday. So yes it may be time to think about doing my first 200 litre ferment.

So how much sugar to invert for a 200 litre run ?

I am thinking about that 250 litre copper water heater as an inspiration on moving up but what to do with it is still a question :ugeek:
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

Postby j0sh2008 » Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:22 am

Bryan1 wrote:I have a 200 litre olive drum here and being summer the average temp in my shed is close to 40C everyday. So yes it may be time to think about doing my first 200 litre ferment.

I am thinking about that 250 litre copper water heater as an inspiration on moving up but what to do with it is still a question :ugeek:

I do 50kg of sugar for my 220L washes.
j0sh2008

equipment: 4" 5star still - 4 plates + 500mm packed section
100L milk can boiler - 2400W & 3600W FSD elements.
2 X 1000L IBC - Recirculating water

Postby Ned » Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:42 am

Bryan1 wrote:I have a 200 litre olive drum here and being summer the average temp in my shed is close to 40C everyday. So yes it may be time to think about doing my first 200 litre ferment.

Is 40 deg too hot for the fermentation.
I know it won't be 40 deg in the fermentor.
I normally do the TPW in a fridge at 28 deg. Bit worried it might give off flavours ?
Ned

equipment: 4" 4 Plate Bubbler with 500m packed section/blockhead and 50 litre milk can. Only the best.

Postby ZEROINSTINCT » Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:53 pm

I will be trying this as my second ever wash made.... my first wash being a sugar wash using turbo products.
i am new to all this.... what temp should the wash/ fermenter be kept at and roughly how long till fermentation is complete? thankyou
ZEROINSTINCT

equipment: Still Spirits Turbo 500 with the Artisan solid Copper Condenser. Column

Postby Doubleuj » Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:58 pm

the higher the temp the quicker itll ferment out, mine sit in the shed in Central QLD and temps can hit 40 in there. only time i have a problem is in winter when it gets too cold.
in summer they take 7 - 10 days in winter double that.
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" stainless glasser

Postby ZEROINSTINCT » Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:11 pm

Doubleuj wrote:the higher the temp the quicker itll ferment out, mine sit in the shed in Central QLD and temps can hit 40 in there. only time i have a problem is in winter when it gets too cold.
in summer they take 7 - 10 days in winter double that.

Thanks for info. I’m up in Darwin... will keep fan on for ventilation but not wanting to turn aircon on for it. I don’t even treat myself that well.
ZEROINSTINCT

equipment: Still Spirits Turbo 500 with the Artisan solid Copper Condenser. Column

Postby ZEROINSTINCT » Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:12 pm

Have got my tpw fermenting atm but just wanting to know if I have done a no no by using a tomato paste that has sodium in it??
Also do I need to “degass “ it before stilling?
ZEROINSTINCT

Postby Boomgate » Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:38 am

ZEROINSTINCT wrote:Have got my tpw fermenting atm but just wanting to know if I have done a no no by using a tomato paste that has sodium in it??

Not sure what you mean by tomato paste with sodium in it.... sodium is a naturally occuring element in most things, although tomatoes are quite low on sodium... If they have added salt, the sodium content will go up. But I dont think it will be a big deal.

No need to degass before stilling... You will find that that the wash will clear itself when it is ready.
Boomgate

equipment: 25L Ultra Pure Reflux.

Postby ZEROINSTINCT » Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:00 am

Boomgate wrote:
ZEROINSTINCT wrote:Have got my tpw fermenting atm but just wanting to know if I have done a no no by using a tomato paste that has sodium in it??

Not sure what you mean by tomato paste with sodium in it.... sodium is a naturally occuring element in most things, although tomatoes are quite low on sodium... If they have added salt, the sodium content will go up. But I dont think it will be a big deal.

No need to degass before stilling... You will find that that the wash will clear itself when it is ready.

Hey boom gate, thanks for the response. Sorry I meant I used a tomato paste that didn’t say no added salt. So I’m thinking it must be a paste with added salt.
The wash has been fermenting for 8 days now and seems to have stopped bubbling.hydro showing 990.
Last edited by ZEROINSTINCT on Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
ZEROINSTINCT

PreviousNext

Return to Recipe Development