Tomato Paste Wash (TPW) Recipe Discussion

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Re: Tomato Paste Wash (TPW) Recipe Discussion

Postby Doubleuj » Sun May 27, 2018 7:03 pm

Like this
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" stainless glasser

Re: Tomato paste wash

Postby Salter » Sun May 27, 2018 7:56 pm

BackyardBrewer wrote:
znipa-x wrote:thinking I'll give my first TPW a run today, quick question, do I still need to add the distilling conditioner/defoaming agent.

Just add a drop of olive oil if you're worried. Does the same thing and loads cheaper.

Is it literally just a drop, because the oily bastard slipped in my hands and I added too much...? I skimmed off as much as I could but was still left with about a teaspoon and the run seemed to go alright. Should I run a vinegar or citric acid clean through the column after that blunder?

I know the flash point of olive oil is lower than water but am unsure what will happen when alcohol comes into the equation.
Last edited by Salter on Sun May 27, 2018 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Salter

equipment: Turbo 500 still
30 litre fermenter

Re: Tomato paste wash

Postby Doubleuj » Sun May 27, 2018 8:12 pm

Salter wrote:
BackyardBrewer wrote:
znipa-x wrote:thinking I'll give my first TPW a run today, quick question, do I still need to add the distilling conditioner/defoaming agent.

Just add a drop of olive oil if you're worried. Does the same thing and loads cheaper.

Is it literally just a drop, because the oily bastard slipped in my hands and I added too much...? I skimmed off as much as I could but was still left with about a teaspoon and the run seemed to go alright. Should I run a vinegar or citric acid clean through the column after that blunder?

I know the flash point of olive oil is lower than water but am unsure what will happen when alcohol comes into the equation.

It’s all good, I use a good glug when I’m worried about puking.
Olive oils flash point is much higher than 100 degrees so nothing to worry about.
Plus, zeroth law of thermodynamics has your back too. If the two liquids, (oil and ethanol) are in contact then they’ll be at the same temp.
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" stainless glasser

Postby Coolabah » Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:03 am

My airlock has stopped bubbling for a day and a half is it done?? Iol I'm pretty impatient or should I wait a couple more days it was on 1.060 now it's 1.030 and hasn't moved
Coolabah

equipment: Nothing useful

Postby Nathan02 » Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:13 am

pretty high gravity..is it still fizzing away. might have a leak in your lid somewhere
Nathan02

equipment: 6" 4 plate bubbler with optional packed section.

Postby Coolabah » Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:33 am

Nathan02 wrote:pretty high gravity..is it still fizzing away. might have a leak in your lid somewhere

Just looked in the fermenter and still fizzing away but it's getting less and less since I last checked
Coolabah

Postby gap » Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:03 pm

Coolabah wrote:
Nathan02 wrote:pretty high gravity..is it still fizzing away. might have a leak in your lid somewhere

Just looked in the fermenter and still fizzing away but it's getting less and less since I last checked

Did you measure your gravity using a hydrometer or a refractometer?
gap

equipment: nothing at the moment. want to purchase or make a pot still

Postby Coolabah » Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:15 pm

Hydrometer
Coolabah

Postby Sam. » Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:52 pm

TPW should get close to .990 and at least under 1.000
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby Coolabah » Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:08 am

How long do I leave lid resting on fermenter and is it required
Coolabah

Postby Dig Brinker » Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:57 am

Keep it covered til you run it.
Dig Brinker

equipment: 4 inch 4 plate bubbler on keg boiler

Postby Coolabah » Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:07 am

Dig Brinker wrote:Keep it covered til you run it.

How long should fermenting take??
Coolabah

Postby RC Al » Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:26 am

Depends how cold it gets, high 20's shoud go through in 4-5ish days (3 days in 30+ summer), my last one ended up taking a month as i let it get down into low teens, current one im running is bubbling well after 3 days, but i pitched a hydrated yeast at 34 deg and wrapped it in a doona straight away.

Currently experimenting with less paste (down to 100g/25l) and adding a dash of DAP, last one was still 11%, only other deviation from std recipe is i dont add citric, no reason, i even have a big tub of the stuff.... its there as a ph adjustment and since it worked for me initially off my tank water (ph 6.8) i havent bothered.

When summer comes im going to do a big drag off of washes, have managed to score a good lot of 30l fermenters cheap, need to work out where to put them when running.... really need to make some dedicated space for this stuff
RC Al
Mentor

equipment: 3 plate 4" glasser
2" Potty

Postby Coolabah » Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:08 pm

RC Al wrote:Depends how cold it gets, high 20's shoud go through in 4-5ish days (3 days in 30+ summer), my last one ended up taking a month as i let it get down into low teens, current one im running is bubbling well after 3 days, but i pitched a hydrated yeast at 34 deg and wrapped it in a doona straight away.

Currently experimenting with less paste (down to 100g/25l) and adding a dash of DAP, last one was still 11%, only other deviation from std recipe is i dont add citric, no reason, i even have a big tub of the stuff.... its there as a ph adjustment and since it worked for me initially off my tank water (ph 6.8) i havent bothered.

When summer comes im going to do a big drag off of washes, have managed to score a good lot of 30l fermenters cheap, need to work out where to put them when running.... really need to make some dedicated space for this stuff

I'm using a 200l container and it's still bubbling away after a week and I followed the tpw calculator
Last edited by Coolabah on Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Coolabah

Postby RC Al » Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:10 pm

The bigger fermenters seem to hold heat better, wrap it up and keep it warm and it will go quicker.
Many use aquarium heaters
RC Al
Mentor

2" Potty

Postby Coolabah » Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:39 pm

RC Al wrote:The bigger fermenters seem to hold heat better, wrap it up and keep it warm and it will go quicker.
Many use aquarium heaters

It's fermenting at 40c
Coolabah

Postby RC Al » Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:08 pm

Then your missing ingredient is patience :handgestures-thumbupleft:

You're going to need a heap of that if you are going to run that lot through an air still :think:

The last of it will get plenty of time to clear though :D
I haven't made a batch that big yet, but I seem to recall a few reports of random long ferments in that size
RC Al
Mentor

2" Potty

Postby Coolabah » Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:42 pm

RC Al wrote:Then your missing ingredient is patience :handgestures-thumbupleft:

You're going to need a heap of that if you are going to run that lot through an air still :think:

The last of it will get plenty of time to clear though :D
I haven't made a batch that big yet, but I seem to recall a few reports of random long ferments in that size

I agree but I think I should start looking for a reflux still about 35l which will be less time consuming because 3x 200l will take a long time through a 5l air still any recommendations on a starter reflux still
Coolabah

Postby Professor Green » Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:49 am

FSD were doing a very good boka that fits on the HBS boilers for a very good price. Maybe hit Wazza or Andrew up and see if they're still going to be doing them.
Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Postby Big J » Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:22 pm

What do you mean when you say "pitch yeast"?
Big J

equipment: Pure Distilling Reflux

PreviousNext

Return to Recipe Development