Tomato Paste Wash (TPW) Recipe Discussion

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Re: Tomato Paste Wash (TPW) Recipe Discussion

Postby woodduck » Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:47 am

Mate if your running an air still, it’s a pot still in effect so I would recommend going to a WBAB, NGW or CFW wash as I don't know weather the airstill will get enough tomato flavour out without alot of runs or filtering. These other washes will leave a nicer flavour if your not able to strip the flavour right out :handgestures-thumbupleft:
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby ruskie » Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:14 pm

PeterC wrote:I have a fitting on the back of the tap inside the drum that is a short tube with a slit in it. I have this at the top. I take out a litre of cloudy stuff and discard then it runs clear and I collect it. I usually leave it to clear for a week mainly because I distill on weekends.

Yeah I have one of those too I am pretty sure I have it pointing up, will have to check when I empty it. Thanks for the advise I think I'll leave the was for a few more days to see if it settles more.
ruskie

equipment: Stillspirits Air Still

Postby ruskie » Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:20 pm

woodduck wrote:Mate if your running an air still, it’s a pot still in effect so I would recommend going to a WBAB, NGW or CFW wash as I don't know weather the airstill will get enough tomato flavour out without alot of runs or filtering. These other washes will leave a nicer flavour if your not able to strip the flavour right out :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Ok thanks mate I'll check those out too. The only reason I went for the TPW is that I read this post viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1503 so thought I'd give it a crack and using this method viewtopic.php?f=7&t=6177 to process the wash.

So far I've done two 10l runs of the Turbo wash (it came with the air still) and not much of a fan of the smell and taste, but after triple charcoal filtering the smell is almost gone and with a soak in oak and essence it is ok. So I think the TPW will be a much better option, but will certainly experiment with the others you mentioned.
ruskie

Postby orcy » Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:10 pm

I can confirm that the wbab is fantastic through a pot still.
orcy

equipment: Old style T500 style still. honestly, I dont even remember who made it anymore
4 inch soon to be modular pot.

Postby ruskie » Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:36 pm

What is everyone's average ABV for the wash, I have just finished fermenting my 2nd wash and has been 990/985 for a few days and it is just on 10%. This is following the recipe for a 25L wash.
ruskie

Postby Plumby » Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:19 pm

Sounds about right man, lower abv wash means less stress for the yeast which means better tasting alcohol. Also means less yield but it you after high yielding washes go for turbos, the alcohol tastes like shit but you get heaps of it.
Plumby

equipment: 50 litre keg boiler with a 2200watt element and a 2 inch pot still called Shaniqua with a 32mm over 19mm 800mm long liebig condenser attached.

Postby Lowie » Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:42 pm

:text-+1:
Try Teddys FFV. None of that tomato taste and you will get a nice neutral from your still. Even better if you run it though your carbon filter, but not necessary.
Lowie

equipment: 4", 4 plate "Frankenfurter" copper bubbler and blockhead on a 50L 3000W electric boiler, 10000W controller - don't even know why I need that much, all grain HERMS system through 18G HLT keg and 50L mash tun.

Postby ThePaterPiper » Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:55 pm

orcy wrote:I can confirm that the wbab is fantastic through a pot still.

Does it carry through much flavour Orcy? What would you liken it to? Thinking about giving it a try after Gen 4 of the NGW
ThePaterPiper

equipment: 50L Pot Still with two inch column into a 700mm Liebig. Also have a 19l thumper interchangeable into the setup.

Postby Doubleuj » Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:56 pm

Let’s try to keep this thread discussion about the tpw, and discussion about other washes should be in their respective threads :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" stainless glasser

Postby Sam. » Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:01 pm

Doubleuj wrote:Let’s try to keep this thread discussion about the tpw, and discussion about other washes should be in their respective threads :handgestures-thumbupleft:

:text-+1: This thread is already big enough, there should be questions about other recipes in their own threads.
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby Stonemaker1 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:28 pm

:text-+1: ya don’t want to end up with threads thick as a bible like HD :laughing-rolling:
Stonemaker1

equipment: 50 litre pot still

Postby ruskie » Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:01 am

Plumby wrote:Sounds about right man, lower abv wash means less stress for the yeast which means better tasting alcohol. Also means less yield but it you after high yielding washes go for turbos, the alcohol tastes like shit but you get heaps of it.

Thanks plumby, just wanted to make sure it was about right. I did try the turbo once, and once only. It came with my Air Still, still have one more bag of the stuff but after doing my first TPW I'll leave it in the cupboard as a constant reminder to never go back there.
ruskie

Postby crow » Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:29 pm

Stonemaker1 wrote::text-+1: ya don’t want to end up with threads thick as a bible like HD :laughing-rolling:

As a HD lay reader I'm kinda fond of those bibles, more knowledge is rarely a hindrance. That said these types of recipes are really about neutral so carry over flavour it not staying on target. As an ex pot stiller I can say its damn hard to achieve a true neutral with this and yaz might fine it takes more passes than its worth. Without dragging it off topics to far I would say that for pot stilled neutral this might not be the best path and perhaps look at something like rice, oats or flour.
Edit turbo is turdbro .
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby Jockt64 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:10 am

Just bought the ingrediants for my 1st TPW. my question is the leggos paste says "triple concentrate" on the label. It looked like all the leggos jars said it. Should i use less, or still use the 200g as per original post?
Cheers :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Jockt64

equipment: T500 reflux still

Postby prawnz » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:54 am

Stick to the recipe Jock , its called tried and proven for a very good reason .

Having said that its a very forgiving mix . Ive just put 4 tpws on pulled up 10 grams short on yeast for the last one . Used lemon juice instead of Citric in 2 of them , all 4 are firing away beautifully right now .

Oh and Hi and welcome too :handgestures-thumbupleft:
prawnz

equipment: SS Super Reflux with home made 2in 800mm packed extension with RC coil built in .

Postby bourbonplumbing » Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:45 am

Jockt64 wrote:Just bought the ingrediants for my 1st TPW. my question is the leggos paste says "triple concentrate" on the label. It looked like all the leggos jars said it. Should i use less, or still use the 200g as per original post?
Cheers :handgestures-thumbupleft:

I think that's correct Jockt64 i assumed the recipe calls for the leggos triple concentrate paste as that was all i could find also, I have run 3 TPW's now and they turned out really good , sooooo much better than my first run which was with the turbo stuff :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bourbonplumbing

equipment: T 500 with a copper condenser. And a bucket

Postby datman » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:55 pm

Put on my first TPW this morning and about 30 pages ago. My first wash ever. Must be going alright because the dog was growling at the fermenter under the towel this afternoon.

Cheers
datman

equipment: Ebay reflux still, 50 litre urn. Fingers crossed.

Postby grumpyian » Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:22 pm

For any of the newbies out there, (I can say that now 12 months since I started :D), still not sure about this, jump in and give it a go follow the recipe you can't go wrong.Then as you get more comfortable with it you may just tweek and shave a corner here and there to suit what works for you.
Here is my routine have been using 3x30lt wide mouth drums from Bunnings, make wash up to 25 lt mark, I like to use Dextrose, just because my HBS delivers 25kg bags to the door for $45 and I am lazy, I get 2 at a time, Tomato paste from Aldi tray of 12x500gr jars, Lowans yeast from any other Shop Aldi don't stock it. The wash takes 5 days I use aquarium heaters set at 27deg in winter, I brew outside I have all 3 fermenter's on the go and on a good day I can strip all 3 in one day but its not much fun. usually strip and refill 1 each day, then do a spirt run of the 3 striped washes, don't forget to do your cuts that's a full day with the T500. Age and flavour to your liking, its drinkable. Me I use whiskey chips and some single malt essence and try and leave for 4 months minimum, SWMBO will have vodka, coffee vodka, rasberry vodka and a bourbon, the later is not good must be a better way for it.
Feeling very comfortable with TPW and my simple reflux its time for me to move on to next level of difficulty, lets go shopping for Nutrigrain :happy-partydance:
Cheers Grumpyian
grumpyian

equipment: Turbo 500 Copper Reflux
Dome Pot

Postby woodduck » Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:45 pm

Glad to hear it's working well for ya. It's a good recipe :handgestures-thumbupleft:
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby cracker » Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:07 pm

Hi ruskie, I have been following the birdwatchers recipe for several washes and my average is around 11%
cracker

equipment: Turbo t500

PreviousNext

Return to Recipe Development