Tomato Paste Wash (TPW) Recipe Discussion

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Re: Tomato Paste Wash (TPW) Recipe Discussion

Postby scottyd72 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:18 pm

EziTasting wrote:The condensate should be lukewarm to the touch, or I should say mine is, so I'm surprised you'd would be so hot!

scottyd72 wrote:Sorry all, I drifted off there as I meant to ask is 2 ltrs an average yield?

That's like asking 'how long is a piece of string?' What's your fermented volume? What's the wash (assuming TPW)? What's your collection method? Etc... That'll give us an opportunity to give you better advice. You will never get the same volume from Non-Turbo washes compared to aturbos but the quality is far better and the product is much much cleaner!!

It's a 25ltr wash of tpw as per the recipe.
I'm guessing collection method is the type of still? If so it's a LM reflux on a 30ltr boiler.

I realise its not realistic to compare turbo to tpw, which is not my intention and the quality is what I'm after.
scottyd72

equipment: Bokakob LM reflux with homemade cooling coil. Building a 3" bubbler...

Postby EziTasting » Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:34 pm

scottyd72 wrote:It's a 25ltr wash of tpw as per the recipe.
I'm guessing collection method is the type of still? If so it's a LM reflux on a 30ltr boiler.

I realise its not realistic to compare turbo to tpw, which is not my intention and the quality is what I'm after.

Nice. For me, it's been working out that I collect, on average 10% of the original fermented volume, that I keep. There is obviously variation from wash to wash, but that's my estimate that I start off with.
To clarify, I don't keep 10% no matter what! I still taste and smell and choose what I like to keep.

That's based on 5% foreshots & early heads which is removed up front AND holding full reflux for an hour...

Plumby wrote:I tried to work the word schmuts into my reply just for you EZI but I could t make it happen. Oh look, there it is :laughing-rolling:

:laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: Valliant effort! Love your dedication to the cause! :music-deathmetal:
EziTasting

equipment: Newbie - Keg Boiler & 4" 4 plate glasser

Postby nathanvdr84 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:10 pm

Ran the second tpw last night. very impressed almost no flavor very neutral. i will never do another turbo run again. the only problem i have found is that it tastes so good and i end up drinking twice as much i did before lol. thanks for all the info i cant wait to try some other recepies.
:text-thankyoublue: :obscene-drinkingdrunk:
nathanvdr84

equipment: SS T500 copper condenser, 25l boiler

Postby Lowie » Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:56 pm

Why full reflux for an hour Ezi? Does that much time make that much of a difference to your finished product? I run reflux for 20 mins but happy to try longer for better results...
Lowie

equipment: 4", 4 plate "Frankenfurter" copper bubbler and blockhead on a 50L 3000W electric boiler, 10000W controller - don't even know why I need that much, all grain HERMS system through 18G HLT keg and 50L mash tun.

Postby beaull » Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:47 am

When you say 80 grams of bakers yeast, what is that converted to dry yeast.
beaull

equipment: still spirits t500
still spirits boiler 25 years old

Postby Zak Griffin » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:00 am

Bakers yeast is dry yeast... A couple of tablespoons or a good shake is as scientific as I get.
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

Postby beaull » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:13 am

I have a packet of Tandaco dry yeast which comes in 5 sachets of 7 grams (total 35 grams packet)
So am i to use 2 full packets of this.
beaull

Postby Doubleuj » Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:14 pm

Yeap 2 sachets will be fine, search the site for rehydrating yeast. You can use less with easier results imo :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" stainless glasser

Postby TasSpirits » Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:19 pm

Lowie wrote:Why full reflux for an hour Ezi? Does that much time make that much of a difference to your finished product? I run reflux for 20 mins but happy to try longer for better results...

I have found that keeping full reflux for longer compresses the fractions better. I seem to get a much clearer idea where heads end, hearts start and tails start, mind you I very rarely run neutral, mainly ag Whisky and Rum, I would assume it works for all washes. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
TasSpirits

equipment: Some FSD Gear as well as some home-made

Postby EziTasting » Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:51 pm

TasSpirits wrote:
Lowie wrote:Why full reflux for an hour Ezi? Does that much time make that much of a difference to your finished product? I run reflux for 20 mins but happy to try longer for better results...

I have found that keeping full reflux for longer compresses the fractions better. I seem to get a much clearer idea where heads end, hearts start and tails start, mind you I very rarely run neutral, mainly ag Whisky and Rum, I would assume it works for all washes. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

That is, as I understand it, the purpose of Refluxing... It was the first instructions that stuck in my head so I've not been messing with it. First time we did it (run 2 or 3 I think) the results just seemed cleaner so we've stuck with it.
EziTasting

equipment: Newbie - Keg Boiler & 4" 4 plate glasser

Postby Fireplace01 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:49 pm

I use Baylee's yeast here in nZ, and found that 80g is a little to much, fermented out of food and had a yeast taste and smell even after letting it sit for a few days, have used a littler less yeast
Fireplace01

equipment: Copperhead reflux
2" pot still
3" stripping pot build

Postby beaull » Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:24 am

I just did a TPW wash (a week ago) and put it through a T500 reflux still.
The spirit is milky. What would cause this?
beaull

Postby Zak Griffin » Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:58 am

A puke, dirty packing or tails.
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

Re: Tomato paste wash

Postby Grovebrewery » Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:55 pm

Kimbo wrote:
Nightram wrote:
This wash will clear on it's own to a pale pink color, there is no need to for any sort of filtering.

Sorry, run that by me again. No filtering? As in no pre distilling or post distilling?

That's correct mate, with a TPW you can run it once thru your refluw still and there is no need for any sort of filtering provided you make good cuts. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

What do you make cuta at mate? 200mls? 150mls? or 100mls?
Grovebrewery

equipment: pot still reflux still.

Postby rumsponge » Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:47 pm

for a 30-50L wash (@10% ABV) I would go for 300 mL cuts (empty stubbies) - but smaller volumes cant hurt (just have to do a lot of tasting and cleaning).
rumsponge

equipment: FSD 4" Neutralizer, 50L keg boiler with 2x2.4kW elements, 60L and 200L fermenters

Postby Grovebrewery » Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:15 am

Thanks rumsponge. i usually only do 25ltr washes. so i might stick to 200ml cuts ;).
Grovebrewery

equipment: pot still reflux still.

Postby Bintang » Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:04 pm

Unreal. Dirt cheap.

I just ran my first TPW and got 3.1L of 90% alcohol after discarding 120mls. Add 3.8L of water to cut it down to 40% and I've got 6.9L of neutral. :happy-partydance:

I'll be turning that into;
Hazelnut Liqueur
Caramel Vodka
Irish Cream
CaféLua
Bourban - currently soaking up some oak staves

And starting 2 more ferments tomorrow... :obscene-birdiedoublered:

Thankyou for the TPW recipe. :text-thankyoublue:
Bintang

equipment: T500 Turbo Still
Copper Condenser

Postby Zak Griffin » Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:23 pm

Try making proper cuts next time and watch your quality sky-rocket :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

Postby Yurugaboy » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:59 pm

Made 6 washes now 5 of them TPW . The last 2 are the Drs recipe . From 40 l of wash through a 4 plate bubbler I got 4.8 l of 83% product and I collected down to 50%. I'll be putting it through another 4 plates to get a really neutral neautral.
Using Lalvin Ec1118 and pre hydrating and pitching at 30 deg c. Aerating with a stirrer and then locking it up. Very cold in storeroom at moment . So heat belt will come in handy. Plus blankets.

Who'd have thought they would be wrapping plastic barrels to keep a sugary tomato paste mix warm.

The Drs recipe gives a very fine clean smelling product. Tails smells like Vegemite. My chief smeller said way better than the fermented piss smell that the first sac run turbo gave off.
:handgestures-thumbupleft:
Rum run coming up.
Yurugaboy
Site Donor

equipment: FSD 4" 4 plate Blockhead Bubbler on a 50 l FSD milk can powered by 2x 2400w elements

Postby scythe » Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:12 pm

What temp are you fermenting at?
scythe

equipment: Dreaming of a 4" bubbler

PreviousNext

Return to Recipe Development