Tomato Paste Wash (TPW) Recipe Discussion

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Re: Tomato Paste Wash (TPW) Recipe Discussion

Postby rossgillespie » Mon Dec 26, 2016 6:21 pm

Yeh 3ltrs was total finished product. It should have been slightly less but i missed one of my final cut points and put small amount of tails in my hearts collection. Still happy for first time.
rossgillespie

equipment: Pure distilling ultra pure with 30ltr boiler

Postby Stemmy » Tue Dec 27, 2016 9:05 am

CyBaThUg wrote:Hey stemmy what water are you using :laughing-rolling: I'm trying bore water for my condenser but there isn't enough flow in the half inch need to buy some 3/4 inch damn water restrictions

Using the tap mate just fire the still up on watering days
Stemmy

equipment: Reflux stilll

4" bubbler

Postby Parjak » Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:04 pm

Hey guys....
Im a newbie at distilling so be gentle...
Im reading through this TPW wash and it sounds great, one thing what is "CUTS"
Like i said im a novice at this so my first 4-5 batches have been by the book, literally....
And what is heads or hearts that you guys refer too....
I was thinking the by the book approach taste good..
When you do the TPW you still run it through the still and filter it?? I use 6kg sugar with turbo yeast and carbon for the wash then clear it and then run it through the still, i get 3.5L at 93% water it down to about 45% then filter it through my EZ carbon filter....soak it in woodchips for about 2 months, open the lid and smell it and it almost blows my head off with the smell of metho???
Parjak

equipment: i am looking to make my won kit

Postby rumdidlydum » Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:25 pm

Try having a look in this category ;-)
http://aussiedistiller.com.au/viewforum.php?f=57
rumdidlydum

equipment: The infamous Illuminated chicken leg boiler, Rum glass and other bits and bobs

Postby EziTasting » Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:26 pm

Parjak wrote:Hey guys....
Im a newbie at distilling so be gentle...
Im reading through this TPW wash and it sounds great, one thing what is "CUTS"
Like i said im a novice at this so my first 4-5 batches have been by the book, literally....
And what is heads or hearts that you guys refer too....
I was thinking the by the book approach taste good..
When you do the TPW you still run it through the still and filter it?? I use 6kg sugar with turbo yeast and carbon for the wash then clear it and then run it through the still, i get 3.5L at 93% water it down to about 45% then filter it through my EZ carbon filter....soak it in woodchips for about 2 months, open the lid and smell it and it almost blows my head off with the smell of metho???

Gudday Parjak, :text-+1:

In the Newbies Corner you will find ALL the good info you need at the benign, in the middle and probably at the end of you journey! Keep reading and rereading (I still am after 8 months!), but to answer your question on cuts, look up Kiwi's guide to cuts, the reason behind it and so on...

If you've run your TPW cleanly, and done your cuts right, filtration may not be necessary... I don't. Choice is yours... I also don't age my TPW because I want it to be as neutral as possible so I can make fruity drinks because thats healthy, right!?! :laughing-rolling:
EziTasting

equipment: Newbie - Keg Boiler & 4" 4 plate glasser

Postby Wookie87 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:44 pm

Hi there,

Just wondering what te use of tomato paste is? Can't seem to find an answer anywhere about what the purpose of it is and if there is a replacement purely out of curiosity.

Has anyone tried using a different source of sugar, for instance honey or palm sugar?
Wookie87

equipment: T500 distill

Postby rumdidlydum » Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:50 pm

Molasses :teasing-tease:
How about poping into the welcome area and introduce yourself :handgestures-thumbupleft:
rumdidlydum

equipment: The infamous Illuminated chicken leg boiler, Rum glass and other bits and bobs

Postby EziTasting » Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:10 pm

Wookie87 wrote:Hi there,

Just wondering what te use of tomato paste is? Can't seem to find an answer anywhere about what the purpose of it is and if there is a replacement purely out of curiosity.

Has anyone tried using a different source of sugar, for instance honey or palm sugar?

mate, the TPW recipe is set up so that there is as little flavour as possible so the source of sugar is a personal one, but if you use a sugar with flavour your TPW will also have flavour!

The Tomato paste is there for nutrients for the yeast as sugar has relatively little nutrients, and neither does the water (unless you use river water or other dirty water); the yeast needs these to multiply and grow...
EziTasting

equipment: Newbie - Keg Boiler & 4" 4 plate glasser

Postby Plumby » Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:25 pm

I use to use either raw or white sugar both from Aldi or Woolworths home brand I found it made little noticeable difference flavour wise. The only time you might get flavour cary over is if its pot stilled but in a reflux still sugar selection makes little difference just go with the cheapest.
If you don't want to use tomatoe paste, you could use dap or some other sort of industrial fertilizer as yeast nutrients but who wants to do that :think:
There is a reason its in the tried and proven section, just trust the recipe, make good cuts and enjoy the reward's.
Plumby

equipment: 50 litre keg boiler with a 2200watt element and a 2 inch pot still called Shaniqua with a 32mm over 19mm 800mm long liebig condenser attached.

Postby OzzyChef » Fri Feb 03, 2017 7:32 am

I used brown and raw for my last tpw neutral and had absolutely 0 flavour carry over. Only used it as that's all I had. Seems to make no difference to either the ferment or flavour..
OzzyChef

equipment: 2 inch copper pot still and 2" copper offset reflux still
30l turbo boilervand 50l keg boiler under construction

Postby SUDS » Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:31 pm

Going to run an old TPW in my T500 that a mate has had sitting around for a while and when I say old I mean like at least 12mths old. Anything to be concerned about?
SUDS

equipment: Turbo 500

Postby Doubleuj » Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:36 pm

Should be good mate, unless it tastes like vinegar :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" stainless glasser

Postby SUDS » Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:38 pm

Ran it and it came out a treat!!
SUDS

equipment: Turbo 500

Postby phir3 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:04 am

hey guys, been brewing for a year at least miao, got turnt onto the tpw because it's seemingly superior to the turbo and have have varying results due to weather, adding yeast at different temps plus i learnt you have to clean your still occasionally. hard, painful lesson that one.
so i've been getting a pretty consistent 2/2.5l of 80% for 8 months or whatever, i've just decided to use ec1118 in lieu of the bakers and the results are better.
the difference is 2.5l of 95% vs the varying 2/2.5l of 80%.
now i'm sure i could be getting a bit more out due to nuances in me brew and i'll probably get onto that in the future but i thought i'd share this with all you asap, it's life changing
phir3

equipment: pot still
t500
keen

Postby Zak Griffin » Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:23 am

There's more going on there than just the yeast mate...EC1118 and bakers yeast will both happily churn through sugar to 10% or so, giving you ~2.5L of pure alcohol in a 25L wash.

How much sugar are you using?
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

Postby prawnz » Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:19 am

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong but the way I see it the yeast choice wont affect your final abv , that comes from your still.
prawnz

equipment: SS Super Reflux with home made 2in 800mm packed extension with RC coil built in .

Postby Homebrewkid » Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:56 pm

ok so I'm not going to read 52 pages to find out, where do I get citric acid?

cheers.
Homebrewkid

equipment: Keggomax cm reflux, 50L electric boiler, also have a 50L gas fired boiler dont really plan to use it though.

still spirits super reflux with 30L electric boiler, that i was given and havent used.

also brew beer both all grain BIAB 50L gas fired and do kits when time is an issue. i have a kegerator and kegs for beer.

Postby Homebrewkid » Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:57 pm

I might give it a good read tonight though
Homebrewkid

equipment: Keggomax cm reflux, 50L electric boiler, also have a 50L gas fired boiler dont really plan to use it though.

still spirits super reflux with 30L electric boiler, that i was given and havent used.

also brew beer both all grain BIAB 50L gas fired and do kits when time is an issue. i have a kegerator and kegs for beer.

Postby Doubleuj » Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:19 pm

Woolies /Coles etc. it's a powder.
Do read everything though, there's all the answers here already
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" stainless glasser

Postby Homebrewkid » Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:27 pm

Doubleuj wrote:Woolies /Coles etc. it's a powder.
Do read everything though, there's all the answers here already

Awesome, thanks mate.
Homebrewkid

PreviousNext

Return to Recipe Development