Tomato Paste Wash (TPW) Recipe Discussion

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Re: Tomato Paste Wash (TPW) Recipe Discussion

Postby TheBastardGrant » Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:09 pm

The Stig wrote:I don’t understand people oaking neutral .
Why ???
Make a flavored wash to oak

I'm a newbie. This is my first attempt. I even just added flavours. Duck Distillary Tennessee Bourbon added to the JD oaked clear, scotch whisky essence added to the wine oaked clear, and some triple sec with the last 800ml at 38%...

This is my first distillation ever - happy to be corrected in my methodology, and I'll try other recipes and techniques as I go. But for now I've got lots of pretty nice, if I do say so myself, alcohol.

Until I found this forum, I literally had a shopping cart full of turbo everything. And carbon filters and clearing agents... And I thought 'why add all this horrible stuff if I need to remove it later' and so I searched and found this forum, read the first few pages, deleted the shopping cart, went to woollies and aldi and bought some cheap organic produce, and produced some awesome clean alcohol. Many thanks to you all - this thread stopped me from buying into the Turbo life...

I.have a T500 copper reflux - I got it and a fermenter for 300 bucks a month ago. I made tpw neutral to see if I could do this without setting my garage on fire. The fact I have something delicious is amazing. I'm a little drunk on the 'kwontro' now...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by TheBastardGrant on Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.
TheBastardGrant

equipment: T500 copper reflux

Postby scythe » Sun Feb 28, 2021 7:34 am

TBG:
Next time make a cereal wash, NGW or WBAB to make whisk(e)y out of.
scythe

equipment: Dreaming of a 4" bubbler

Postby TheBastardGrant » Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:47 am

scythe wrote:TBG:
Next time make a cereal wash, NGW or WBAB to make whisk(e)y out of.

I'm thinking nutrigrain as it's my kids favourite cereal. Cheers!
TheBastardGrant

Postby Wellsy » Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:11 am

I found the nutrigrain fermented pretty slowly. It had good results but slow fermentation and newbies is a bad combo because we want things to keep moving lol
The WBAB fermented fast for me but I have only used this for vodka but many here will use it generationally to get a whiskey
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Postby Professor Green » Sun Feb 28, 2021 5:14 pm

WBAB makes an excellent whisky base even on the first gen. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Postby TheBastardGrant » Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:44 am

I couldn't help myself.. I started a new tpw last night. I used an Italian double concentrated paste... I'll let you know how that goes. Smells more tomatoey than the aldi paste... But theres more yeast activity already...
TheBastardGrant

Postby McMoonshineMatt » Tue May 04, 2021 1:06 pm

TheBastardGrant wrote:
The Stig wrote:I don’t understand people oaking neutral .
Why ???
Make a flavored wash to oak

I'm a newbie. This is my first attempt. I even just added flavours. Duck Distillary Tennessee Bourbon added to the JD oaked clear, scotch whisky essence added to the wine oaked clear, and some triple sec with the last 800ml at 38%...

This is my first distillation ever - happy to be corrected in my methodology, and I'll try other recipes and techniques as I go. But for now I've got lots of pretty nice, if I do say so myself, alcohol.

Until I found this forum, I literally had a shopping cart full of turbo everything. And carbon filters and clearing agents... And I thought 'why add all this horrible stuff if I need to remove it later' and so I searched and found this forum, read the first few pages, deleted the shopping cart, went to woollies and aldi and bought some cheap organic produce, and produced some awesome clean alcohol. Many thanks to you all - this thread stopped me from buying into the Turbo life...

I.have a T500 copper reflux - I got it and a fermenter for 300 bucks a month ago. I made tpw neutral to see if I could do this without setting my garage on fire. The fact I have something delicious is amazing. I'm a little drunk on the 'kwontro' now...

Well done TPG Glad your first run was a success. Hoping mine goes a smooth as well
McMoonshineMatt

equipment: Turbo 500 Copper Column
Still Spirit Alembic Copper Dome and Condenser

Postby TheBastardGrant » Thu Jun 10, 2021 5:36 pm

My second run was better than the first. I was a bit more descerning with my cuts.
Something interesting, I made some coconut rum with the second batch, and as it's got 'older' it's getting a pink tinge - almost like the tomatoes are fighting back.
Last edited by TheBastardGrant on Thu Jun 10, 2021 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheBastardGrant

Postby bluc » Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:08 pm

How did you add coconut flavour :think:
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby Dude » Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:50 am

I have attempted a coconut rum, I put desiccated coconut in with 500ml of rum white dog left it until the flavour came thru then strained it and added a French dominoe. The flavour has become quite strong and may need diluting with some more rum white dog to taste. It is still in the experimental stage.
Dude

equipment: Turbo 500. 50L pot still with 2 x 2400W heaters, shotgun condenser, reflux condenser. Building a cooling system.

Postby RuddyCrazy » Sat Jun 26, 2021 4:07 pm

Well with this years TPW I've decided to go a different route and put each 40 litre boiler run over 4 plates so the low wines are 90% instead of setting up my 4" pot still and stripping. Last year using the 4" pot still I got 7 litres to 30% off a boiler run and with doing 2 runs now over 4 plates the take is 10 litres to 90%. Got the last run to do tomorrow which should get me to 15 litres @90% and with still having about 5 litres left of last years run this should give me enough to do a full boiler @40% which I'll do again over 4 plates. Then for the final run I'll setup my 500mm packed section and do another 40% spirit run so in total this years batch has gone over 12 plates and a 500mm packed section :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Last years batch was a nice drop of nothing but this years batch will still be a nothing drink but with just a bit more of that nothing :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: I found by putting a bottle of 40% in the freezer on a hot day after work a dram of ice cold nothing was great :handgestures-thumbupleft: but after this years batch I'm sure the ice cold nothing will that much better.

Man I need to setup a bar in my shed even if it's only for the pic I put up here and the rare occasion of member coming around :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: After all it will only be made out of redgum and some Brazilian mahogany flame veneer where I have a heap of it here. For that project I do need to get my wood workshop out of retirement as it sitting in my shearing shed and screaming for a new home. :laughing-rolling: I reckon the easiest way is to give a chippy at work bottle of my moonshine and ask him to come for a visit :laughing-rolling:
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Postby Wellsy » Sat Jun 26, 2021 4:29 pm

Lol
That is by far the easiest way to get a nice bar set up Bryan
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Postby RuddyCrazy » Sat Jun 26, 2021 4:37 pm

Wellsy wrote:Lol
That is by far the easiest way to get a nice bar set up Bryan

Well mate now I have a new phone it may be time to open up some of that veneer and with plenty of pic's start a new thread on my bar :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Just like with every project on this forum I won't put a time frame on it, but with my moonshine it may just one bottle :laughing-rolling: to get the ball rolling
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Postby Wellsy » Sat Jun 26, 2021 4:40 pm

Get him hooked on it and he can build you a pool table for half a dozen bottles
Wellsy

Postby wtfdit » Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:42 am

Hi Everyone!

I am totally new to all this, i have purchased a reflux still and thought i would this this wash a go. I sterilized my fermenter and followed the recipe but i am not seeing much if any action coming through the air lock at all.
I mixed it all up last Thursday afternoon. It hasn't been the warmest in Victoria but i wrapped the fermenter in a towel to help keep it warm.

Should it be bubbling by now?

Cheers
Scott
wtfdit

equipment: reflux still

Postby wtfdit » Mon Jul 26, 2021 12:44 pm

I should add that the hydrometer is reading 1.013
wtfdit

Postby BigRig » Mon Jul 26, 2021 1:19 pm

assuming you had a starting gravity of 1.080 then it is getting close to being done, as it gets closer to being done the airlock bubbles will definitely slow down a lot.

If you have the same reading on the hydrometer for 3 consecutive days it is done. Also if you tasted it and it is dry /sour like a cider then it is done. if you can detect some sweetness it has some way to go.
BigRig

equipment: FSD 4" Mac SSG, 50L Milk Can, 2 x 2400w elements, 35L Digiboil Boiler, Airstill.

Postby Wellsy » Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:26 pm

Lower temps will mean a slower ferment as well. There is also a possibility that the fermenter is not sealed completely.

As suggested keep your eye on the reading to see if it stays the same. The absolute simplest answer is to taste your finger with some wash on it, if you can taste sugar then all the sugar has not finished fermenting.

What temp is the fermenter sitting on ?
Wellsy

Postby wtfdit » Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:20 pm

Wellsy wrote:Lower temps will mean a slower ferment as well. There is also a possibility that the fermenter is not sealed completely.

What temp is the fermenter sitting on ?

Sadly i can't tell, when it was delivered they failed to include the stick on thermometer, i am waiting for it to arrive
wtfdit

Postby The Stig » Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:20 pm

Is it really cold where you live ???
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

PreviousNext

Return to Recipe Development