Tomato Paste Wash (TPW) Recipe Discussion

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Re: Tomato Paste Wash (TPW) Recipe Discussion

Postby Yurugaboy » Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:34 pm

I made my first TPW wash using Macs recipe - made up an airlock by running a tube into a water jar.
Pitched the yeast at 35 deg , 3 hours later yeast bubbling. but unlike the gurgling baby Turbo sugar was it just sits there 24 hours later. , co2 may be coming out but i cant see it.
OSG was 1.072 so OK with that. No real heat in it. but its over the finished Turbo wash at 18 degrees.

Seems to quiet.
Last edited by Sam. on Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed double post
Yurugaboy
Site Donor

equipment: FSD 4" 4 plate Blockhead Bubbler on a 50 l FSD milk can powered by 2x 2400w elements

Postby PeterC » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:52 pm

I actually ran a 50L TPW and a 25L turbo 2 weeks ago. The TPW took off before the turbo did but the turbo go going a few hours later and finished in about 4 days. Used it for a sacrificial run. The TPW went for 8 days but I kept it warm with a heating belt, switching it on over night to keep the temperature between 24 - 26 degrees C. It has cleared beautifully now and waiting for the weekend to do the stripping run on my pot. (work gets in the way of all the important things.)
PeterC

equipment: An 18gall. (80L) keg boiler. A 50L Keg boiler. A 4 plate, 4 inch glass column, 500mm packed section Carter head. A 1.8L all copper micro still for small batches of Gin. Plus other bits.

Postby pento » Tue May 02, 2017 8:25 pm

It's only for a sacrificial run, but I just made up my first ever wash (which happens to be TPW)! I don't think my family would approve of me posting about this on Facebook, so y'all get to listen me being excited about a new hobby getting off the ground. :icon-wink:
pento

equipment: FSD 2" Pot Still, 50L milk can

Postby rat man407 » Thu May 04, 2017 2:17 am

after over a month I have finally read though all 54 pages of this thread and my tpw is fermenting as we speak will be interesting as this is my first wash ever and first time using my still
rat man407

equipment: none yet

Postby Aussiedownunder01 » Fri May 05, 2017 4:20 pm

Hi I have a tpw that has stalled ph is 9 what to do please
I have done a few same as same as don't know what happened sg 1020
Aussiedownunder01

Location: So close to melbourne airport you can hear the plains
equipment: 100 litre boiler with a 4 in 5 plate bubbler on top with a 500 packed section standing by if needed

Postby Doubleuj » Fri May 05, 2017 4:28 pm

Ph of 9 :scared-eek:
You could add citric acid and try to lower it to around 4-5.
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" stainless glasser

Postby Aussiedownunder01 » Fri May 05, 2017 4:55 pm

Thanks will do
Aussiedownunder01

Location: So close to melbourne airport you can hear the plains
equipment: 100 litre boiler with a 4 in 5 plate bubbler on top with a 500 packed section standing by if needed

Postby Yurugaboy » Mon May 08, 2017 8:20 pm

Homebrewkid wrote:ok so I'm not going to read 52 pages to find out, where do I get citric acid?

cheers.

Hilarious :laughing-rolling:
Yurugaboy
Site Donor

equipment: FSD 4" 4 plate Blockhead Bubbler on a 50 l FSD milk can powered by 2x 2400w elements

Postby scottyd72 » Sun May 14, 2017 8:30 pm

While I am waiting to pay off a layby for a reflux LM kit I decided to try a scaled down TPW in a wine bottle to see how it works, just to learn about the wash.
Im planning on grabbing a couple of extra fermenting drums so I can have a few wash's going at different stages...

IMG_3243.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
scottyd72

equipment: Bokakob LM reflux with homemade cooling coil. Building a 3" bubbler...

Postby prawnz » Sun May 14, 2017 9:00 pm

Thats interesting . Is it done ? Whats the SG ? How does it taste , sweet or dry ? If done , how long did it take ?
prawnz

equipment: SS Super Reflux with home made 2in 800mm packed extension with RC coil built in .

Postby scottyd72 » Sun May 14, 2017 9:06 pm

Oh i should add that i created the mini wash at 6pm tonight (sunday 14 may)
scottyd72

equipment: Bokakob LM reflux with homemade cooling coil. Building a 3" bubbler...

Postby Yurugaboy » Mon May 15, 2017 8:08 pm

Yurugaboy wrote:I made my first TPW wash using Macs recipe - made up an airlock by running a tube into a water jar.
Pitched the yeast at 35 deg , 3 hours later yeast bubbling. but unlike the gurgling baby Turbo sugar was it just sits there 24 hours later. , co2 may be coming out but i cant see it.
OSG was 1.072 so OK with that. No real heat in it. but its over the finished Turbo wash at 18 degrees.

Seems to quiet.

The 2nd TPW I aerated with a kitchen bamix and it went well. It is still bubbling slowly at Day 10 .Started out with OSG of 1.078 corrected and just took a sample and its 0.92 - so this translates out to aprox 22% alcohol. It is double what I thought these mixes would do. I'm not sure the first wash above will be close to it. I'm sure it will be lower.

any way i also tasted it and it tastes like slightly bubbly champagne, a bit acidic.

I'm now getting desperate for a 60l fermenter and am sure I can find one in Canberra.there must be Olive barrels etc ,food grade around.
Yurugaboy
Site Donor

Postby Doubleuj » Mon May 15, 2017 8:21 pm

I'd say that's a final sg of .992, not .92 :handgestures-thumbupleft:
The taste sounds about right
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

Postby Yurugaboy » Tue May 16, 2017 4:37 pm

Doubleuj wrote:I'd say that's a final sg of .992, not .92 :handgestures-thumbupleft:
The taste sounds about right

Yep sorry 0.992
Yurugaboy
Site Donor

Postby freebeertomorrow » Sun May 21, 2017 5:55 pm

OK with only two turbo washes ever under my belt I've ditched doing turbo's 'forever' and have put down my first 26 litre TPW :))

So far so good, I am comforted by the fact the yeast appear to be going absolutely nuts.

I've ditched my Air Still as well (great investment that) and have incrementally upgraded to a Turbo 500 Reflux still - My wife is fuming at me at the moment but she'll get over that. %-(

Having done bugger all spirit distillation in the past and having never used my reflux still (which is actually still in the mail) I'll probably have a million and one questions. I hope I can call on the brains trust here to help :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Until the mailman knocks on the door I've got a lot of reading on this forum to do :-B
freebeertomorrow

equipment: Turbo Air Still

Postby Dags » Sun May 28, 2017 1:40 pm

I'm new at this game, having only done 2 runs from my still. The first was with the stuff supplied with the kit. Turbo yeast, clearer parts 1 & 2, carbon filters etc. etc.
The batch came out ok but a bit smelly at first and didn't taste as good as I'd hoped for.
Thought I'd have a crack at the TPW from this site.
F@#$ing awesome. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Cannot believe the difference. So "neutral".
As mentioned elsewhere, half the yield but less than half the cost and a million times better spirit. :happy-partydance: :dance:
Goodbye Turbo yeast washes...
Dags

equipment: Pure distilling.

Postby Peanut » Sat Jun 03, 2017 1:54 pm

Just put one of these washs down. Hopefully with the cold weather here in Perth it will be ok. Work FIFO so will be 5 weeks or so before I run it through the still. Have a t500 so will do 1 run and take cuts.
Peanut

equipment: Turbo 500 still setup. Just learning.

Postby Dags » Sat Jun 03, 2017 5:21 pm

2nd go at TPW. But not as good as the first.
I had it in my boiler/fermenter for a week with a heating element set at 24 deg. (It's in my shed and we've had a week of -2 mornings!)
Once it stopped bubbling, I waited a day and the SG was 890 before I ran it through the still. Made my cuts as usual but my final result was 90% abv and my yield was 20% lower than the last batch.
I reckon it was foaming into the column, especially later in the run, and mixing water with the alcohol coming out the dripper. The spirit has a slight tinge of colour to it.
What do you think I did wrong? And please be gentle with me, it's only my 3rd run with my still. :?
Dags

Postby Doubleuj » Sat Jun 03, 2017 6:52 pm

Hey dags, are you fermenting in your boiler? If so this isn't good because you've got all the solids in there.
I'd say either way you have had a puke. No matter the still or run technique or wash, your product should always be crystal clear.
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

Postby Dags » Sun Jun 04, 2017 5:17 pm

Doubleuj wrote:Hey dags, are you fermenting in your boiler? If so this isn't good because you've got all the solids in there.
I'd say either way you have had a puke. No matter the still or run technique or wash, your product should always be crystal clear.

Thanks Doubleuj.
That's kinda what I figured. I have 2 beer fermenters lying about, so I'll use them next time.
Always learning....
Dags

PreviousNext

Return to Recipe Development