Tomato Paste Wash (TPW) Recipe Discussion

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Re: Tomato Paste Wash (TPW) Recipe Discussion

Postby Mr Four Square » Sun Jun 14, 2015 6:23 am

I'm planning on making a bit of gin using TPW as the base. Is it worth the effort of stripping this if I'm going to load it up with juniper and peel?

(Usually takes 3 hours per 25 litres to heat and pot strip before I reflux)
Mr Four Square

equipment: T500 Boiler 2"pot head + reflux

Postby Woodsy71 » Sun Jun 14, 2015 7:08 am

Mr Four Square wrote:I'm planning on making a bit of gin using TPW as the base. Is it worth the effort of stripping this if I'm going to load it up with juniper and peel?

(Usually takes 3 hours per 25 litres to heat and pot strip before I reflux)

Yeah mate. It's worth it.

You really do need a quality neutral for a gin base.
Woodsy71

equipment: CM and a Pot

Postby Ploopyster » Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:19 pm

I'm wondering if my wash is ready!
It's my first was and a TPW. I've read on here that it should be about .990 when its ready. Trying to understand my new alcometer, does it look ready to you? It's not on .990 but by my reading I think it is .986? This is past .990 or before .990?
Cheers
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ploopyster

equipment: Home-made jobby. 2" 1metre column with interchangeable pot still head (with 500mm 2" shotgun condenser) and building a boka head with Liebig condenser.

Postby Zak Griffin » Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:24 pm

Ready to roll mate! That's under 990 ;-)
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

Postby Ploopyster » Sun Jun 28, 2015 5:19 pm

Zak Griffin wrote:Ready to roll mate! That's under 990 ;-)

Yeeeeeeeeeewwww. Lock and load.
:text-thankyoublue:
Ploopyster

equipment: Home-made jobby. 2" 1metre column with interchangeable pot still head (with 500mm 2" shotgun condenser) and building a boka head with Liebig condenser.

Postby Aussiedownunder01 » Thu Jul 02, 2015 3:26 pm

I have a 80 litre one sitting at 25 deg and it seems stuck at sg 1000 what do you recon any point leaving it longer
Aussiedownunder01

Location: So close to melbourne airport you can hear the plains
equipment: 100 litre boiler with a 4 in 5 plate bubbler on top with a 500 packed section standing by if needed

Postby WTDist » Thu Jul 02, 2015 3:29 pm

tried adding more yeast or bumping the temp up? how long has it been stuck for?
WTDist

equipment: Building a 4" bubbler with 8" glass thumper

Postby Aussiedownunder01 » Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:21 pm

About a week
Aussiedownunder01

Location: So close to melbourne airport you can hear the plains
equipment: 100 litre boiler with a 4 in 5 plate bubbler on top with a 500 packed section standing by if needed

Postby Plumby » Sat Jul 04, 2015 9:24 pm

I'm in a bit of a jam here, I have everything here for a tpw but I'm 20 grams short on the yeast so I'm thinking ill use 3 coopers beer kit yeast that i have in to make up the extra 20 grams. Mix the two yeasts together and rehydrate then prove then pitch. Does anyone have a reason why this won't work?
Plumby

equipment: 50 litre keg boiler with a 2200watt element and a 2 inch pot still called Shaniqua with a 32mm over 19mm 800mm long liebig condenser attached.

Postby rumdidlydum » Sat Jul 04, 2015 9:34 pm

Dunno about mixing but 20 grams short i would run it. And monitor :handgestures-thumbupleft:
rumdidlydum

equipment: The infamous Illuminated chicken leg boiler, Rum glass and other bits and bobs

Postby WTDist » Sat Jul 04, 2015 9:59 pm

The idea of adng 80 grams straight in is that half will die. rehydration stops this. with the cost of bakers yeast people dont rehydrate they just add it in but i have had success with rehydrating 25 grams of lowans bakers yeast ib a wash finned to 29L line. if your worried just rehydrate your 60 grams and it will have more of a punch than 80 grams sprincled on top considering that out of the 80 grams sprincled apprix 40 grams survives.

Youtube has some handy vida on rehydrating :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Excuse my spelling. my mobile isnt as easy as a comp
WTDist

Postby newbiboozer » Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:28 am

Hi I am about to put down 2 x 50 liters of this and thought being that it is cold I'd try some EC1118 yeast. Can anyone tell me how much (in teaspoons)is necessary for this size wash as I'm sure the full amount is not 100% necessary when doubling the recipe . Also can I use say boiled bakers yeast as a nutrient for EC1118. I read somewhere Doc uses dead yeast as a nutrient for TPW but wasn't sure how much and if it needs to be the same type as your live yeast
newbiboozer

equipment: 4" modular plated column in very early stages.

Postby Teddysad » Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:44 am

If you look after the EC1118 by careful hydrating, for that size wash 20g should see you right. If in 2 fermenters, rehydrate them two x 10g in seperate lots.
The key is to get it working and growing before it is added.
Boiled yeast as a nutrient is fine - can be any sort, but good low salt tomato paste should provide all you need.
Why low salt? because salt pulls moisture out of the yeast cells and reduces their performance.
Look after the pH and temps and you will be fine.
Teddysad

equipment: FSD 4"SSG with packed column 50l Boiler keg. Alex 25 for smaller scale runs

Postby emma2223 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:44 am

hi all just wondering how much alcohol would i get all up out of a 20 liter tpw?
emma2223

equipment: turbo 500

Postby Professor Green » Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:18 pm

Hi Emma,

That is really going to depend on the initial alcohol content of the wash and the efficiency of the still and remember you will never be able to extract all of the alcohol from the wash.
There is a calculator page here that will give you an idea. For example if the wash is 10% with a still that collects at 92% then you can expect about 2 litres.

Cheers,
Prof. Green.
Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Postby emma2223 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:48 pm

thankyou love the calculator :) it be come in handy with the tpw can i clear it with a either a hbs clear or leave it or is there some other way?
im using a turbo 500 for this one
emma2223

Postby Professor Green » Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:55 pm

The beauty of TPW is that it will clear itself without the need to add anything to it. Just let the fermenter sit in a cold place for a few days until it is clear.
If you had it on a heater pad or had it wrapped in a blanket to keep the heat in, switch off the heat pad and remove the blanket.

Given you're in Tassie, I would imagine finding a cold place to let it sit won't be too hard!

Cheers,
Prof. Green.
Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Postby emma2223 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:17 pm

great im using a heat blanket and yes its freaking freazing just about to start a 22 liter wash a lil nervous in using this as a guide
just cut down to my size will this be ok ? oh and without the aquarium heater

Ingredients (to make 50 litre wash for example). Else, go to the CALCULATOR.

500g tomato paste. mine ---216g
Juice of approx. two lemons. mine ---74 ml
Approximately 11.25 kg sugar. mine 4.95 kg maximum
141g fresh dry yeast. mine 62g dried
¼ tsp Epsom Salts. mine------ 0.14 teaspoon
Water (tap is okay, but fresh, spring, distilled water, etc. is better).
Procedure:

Take careful notes from start to finish for future reference.
Make sure everything is cleaned and sterile.
Mix about 80% of the water with 80% of the sugar along with all the tomato paste, lemon juice and salts. Mix thoroughly until everything (especially the sugar) is dissolved.
Measure the SG (specific gravity) using your hydrometer. If the SG is too low, gradually add more sugar. If the SG too high, gradually add more water. The whole time aiming for an SG of 1.060 to 1.090. Most aim for below 1.070 to reduce off flavours.
You should now have your total volume of mixed ingredients at your ideal SG.
Use the aquarium heater to raise the temperature of the wash to your goal temperature of between 26ºC (79ºF) and 30ºC (86ºC) - commonly 28ºC (82ºC). How you do this is up to you, a common method is to set the whole fermenter in a larger container, fill it with water, and put the aquarium heater in that.
Carefully sprinkle the yeast over surface. Stir in if you wish (most don’t).
Place cover loosely, to let CO2 escape, thus keeping flying nasties out. There is a lot of CO2 coming off; so there is no need to worry about oxygen coming in contact.
Check the SG and temperature daily if you like. This is not necessary, but will let you know how it is progressing.
After a total of 5-14 days SG should be around 0.990. If not, wait until it stops bubbling. Then take note of the SG for reference.
Assuming everything is okay, turn off the aquarium heater and let it all cool down.
Ideally, let it sit for at least a few days (a week or more if possible) to let the solids settle before distillation. The cooler the better (without freezing though).
Distill as you like.
emma2223

Postby WTDist » Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:33 pm

emma2223 wrote:great im using a heat blanket and yes its freaking freazing just about to start a 22 liter wash a lil nervous in using this as a guide
just cut down to my size will this be ok ? oh and without the aquarium heater

Ingredients (to make 50 litre wash for example). Else, go to the CALCULATOR.

500g tomato paste. mine ---216g
Juice of approx. two lemons. mine ---74 ml
Approximately 11.25 kg sugar. mine 4.95 kg maximum
141g fresh dry yeast. mine 62g dried
¼ tsp Epsom Salts. mine------ 0.14 teaspoon
Water (tap is okay, but fresh, spring, distilled water, etc. is better).

This looks a little overcomplicated and explained

Where did you get this? 22L compared to 50 is 44% so times all totals by .44.
also dont go over 1kg of sugar per 5L of water. so 4.4kg sugar for 22L. this will give less heads and tails and unwanted stuff.
have you looked here its the Tried and proven TPW. Im a little put off the 11.25kg sugar for 50L wash but some choose to but if you want quality then i would stick to the 1kg per 5L of water :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Here is what is in the Tried and Proven Recipe
Here's my version for a 25L wash.

5kg sugar
80grams bakers yeast
1/4 tea spoon citric acid
200 grams leggo's tomato paste.

Mix sugar, tomato paste, citric acid and 10 liters hot water into your fermenter to disolve all the sugar.

Top up with cool water and hopefully you've got it at about 30c

Pitch yeast.
This wash will clear on it's own to a pale pink colour, there is no need to for any sort of filtering.
therefore, there is no home brew shop additives or agents required.
Happy stillin' Folks
WTDist

Postby emma2223 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:37 pm

the sugar stated is an absolute maximum :) i was not planning to use it all :)
emma2223 wrote:Mix about 80% of the water with 80% of the sugar along with all the tomato paste, lemon juice and salts. Mix thoroughly until everything (especially the sugar) is dissolved.
Measure the SG (specific gravity) using your hydrometer. If the SG is too low, gradually add more sugar. If the SG too high, gradually add more water. The whole time aiming for an SG of 1.060 to 1.090. Most aim for below 1.070 to reduce off flavours.
You should now have your total volume of mixed ingredients at your ideal SG.

ive seeen alot of different versions and each one seems different i took one i thought i could follow closely this will be a trial :) and i need it to be 22liters im using a smaller drum and my my calculator to achieve a reading of 1.070 i would only use the 4 kg :)
and i believe it is a version of the original birdwatcher
emma2223

PreviousNext

Return to Recipe Development