Tomato Paste Wash (TPW) Recipe Discussion

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Re: Tomato Paste Wash (TPW) Recipe Discussion

Postby Doubleuj » Sat Aug 15, 2015 11:51 am

Back on thread :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Og of 1070 23/7/15
Fg of 920 15/8/15
Took ages to ferment (about 2 weeks) then I didn't get to it till today so was nice and clear. I'm figuring the lower temps we've had here has helped with a low and slow ferment, giving a higher yield than I normally get in our beautiful stinking hot qld weather
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" stainless glasser

Postby WTDist » Sat Aug 15, 2015 1:51 pm

920, is that temp corrected?
What was the starting volume of water and sugar?
WTDist

equipment: Building a 4" bubbler with 8" glass thumper

Postby Doubleuj » Sat Aug 15, 2015 2:10 pm

Temp corrected SG? I thought we only adjusted for abv? :wtf:
Normal Tpw almost down to the letter. 5kg sugar made up to 25L rough arse splash of tomato paste, 70gof yeast, lowans makes 4 batches equally (280/4= 70g) 1/4 tsp citric
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

Postby Undertaker » Sat Aug 15, 2015 2:53 pm

Doubleuj wrote:Temp corrected SG? I thought we only adjusted for abv? :wtf:

Hydrometers are calibrated at "usually" 20 C. Higher ambient temps make the reading falsely high.

Cheers Phil
Undertaker

equipment: Electric boiler, 2" potstill column. 40" VM column, copper packed,
RC double wound coldfinger,
PC liebig condensor

Postby Doubleuj » Sat Aug 15, 2015 3:20 pm

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Well there you go, crap pics but a simple test with hot vs cold water shows the difference. But I measured the wash this morning and it is only 25 degrees now so it must have been 20 degrees or under
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

Postby Sam. » Sat Aug 15, 2015 5:53 pm

In the pic above I would call that .992 ;-)
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby Doubleuj » Sat Aug 15, 2015 6:17 pm

Oh, 8-} I've been reading this wrong the whole time!
Really can't get anything past you Sam :angry-banghead:
Lesson learnt cheers
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

Postby Doubleuj » Sat Aug 15, 2015 7:25 pm

:oops: makes a little more sense now when using stigs calculator, thought I was losing 2 or more litres of product somewhere :laughing-rolling:
Ahh, steep learning curve, Sam or someone, a good description about reading the graduations on a hydrometer and alcommeter would be a good addition to newbies corner.
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

Postby Undertaker » Sun Aug 16, 2015 7:13 am

... a good description about reading the graduations on a hydrometer and alcommeter ....

Pretty good explanation here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meniscus

Cheers Phil
Undertaker

equipment: Electric boiler, 2" potstill column. 40" VM column, copper packed,
RC double wound coldfinger,
PC liebig condensor

Postby WTDist » Sun Aug 16, 2015 8:46 am

Off topic but ill put it up :oops:

Its called thermal expansion, when objects get hotter they increase there volume, and when they get colder they shrink (to a certain point). water is 1000 kg/m^3 at 4 degrees C which is a specific gravity of 1.
Divide the density by 1000 on the graph below and you will see the different densities at different temps. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
WTDist

equipment: Building a 4" bubbler with 8" glass thumper

Postby Hidden1 » Mon Aug 17, 2015 11:28 am

Well here goes put on my first tpw today one thing i did which i hope is ok and did not ruin the yeast is i added it with the sugar and tp/citric before adding the water and stirring it. works out so much cheaper then the turbo yeast and can't wait to have a shot of each once finished to see the difference :obscene-drinkingdrunk:

Also with a tpw what is the usual time it takes to finish a wash Cheers
Hidden1

equipment: still spirits super reflux but wanting to upgrade ok upgraded designed and build my own copper reflux and beer keg boiler

Postby OCMonkey » Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:50 pm

Hidden1 wrote:Well here goes put on my first tpw today one thing i did which i hope is ok and did not ruin the yeast is i added it with the sugar and tp/citric before adding the water and stirring it. works out so much cheaper then the turbo yeast and can't wait to have a shot of each once finished to see the difference :obscene-drinkingdrunk:

:text-+1:

Mine takes on average a week plus 3-4 days to clear up. also sits on average about 26-28 degrees throughout the week.

but like anything depends on the temp throughout, not sure about adding the yeast at the start, my understanding is that it is possible to kill the yeast with the hot water that is used to dissolve the sugars,

I personally pitch my yeast with 1-2l luke warm (to make my wash 27l total) water with 100g of honey (don't think it really makes a difference pitched with honey, just something I've been doing for a while, as I bake my own bread like that) :teasing-blah:
OCMonkey

equipment: Air Still
30L x 2 (1 with air lock, other with krausan collar)
10L x 1 (came with Air Still)

Postby Hidden1 » Tue Aug 18, 2015 8:35 am

OCMonkey wrote:
Hidden1 wrote:Well here goes put on my first tpw today one thing i did which i hope is ok and did not ruin the yeast is i added it with the sugar and tp/citric before adding the water and stirring it. works out so much cheaper then the turbo yeast and can't wait to have a shot of each once finished to see the difference :obscene-drinkingdrunk:

:text-+1:

Mine takes on average a week plus 3-4 days to clear up. also sits on average about 26-28 degrees throughout the week.

but like anything depends on the temp throughout, not sure about adding the yeast at the start, my understanding is that it is possible to kill the yeast with the hot water that is used to dissolve the sugars,

I personally pitch my yeast with 1-2l luke warm (to make my wash 27l total) water with 100g of honey (don't think it really makes a difference pitched with honey, just something I've been doing for a while, as I bake my own bread like that) :teasing-blah:

Cheers OCMonkey looks like the hot water didnt kill it and it's bubbling away nicely and my garage smells like tomato :text-lol: instead of the bad smell the turbo wash gives off :puke-huge:
Hidden1

equipment: still spirits super reflux but wanting to upgrade ok upgraded designed and build my own copper reflux and beer keg boiler

Postby Mad » Tue Aug 18, 2015 7:48 pm

i put on 100ltrs of tpw over the weekend just in prep for my new still to bed it in before moving onto rum washes and completly forgot about citric acid. It's been 3/4days I'm not even going to worry about it. but this colder weather has me pulling out the sleeping bag to keep the fermenters happy lol. i've kept it stable at 30deg the whole time with a -0deg sleeping bag lol - only time it's of ANY use in Central QLD
Mad

equipment: SS Super Reflux(retired), 3600w keg boiler, 3" stainless boka with 4 Barrel shotty

Postby OCMonkey » Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:55 pm

Mad wrote:i put on 100ltrs of tpw over the weekend just in prep for my new still to bed it in before moving onto rum washes and completly forgot about citric acid. It's been 3/4days I'm not even going to worry about it. but this colder weather has me pulling out the sleeping bag to keep the fermenters happy lol. i've kept it stable at 30deg the whole time with a -0deg sleeping bag lol - only time it's of ANY use in Central QLD

:text-+1: to the use of the sleeping bag :text-lol:

I haven't added citric to thelast 2 of my TPW's and doesn't seem to make a difference to the outcome, and im using a damn airstill :/
OCMonkey

equipment: Air Still
30L x 2 (1 with air lock, other with krausan collar)
10L x 1 (came with Air Still)

Postby Groova » Wed Aug 19, 2015 5:22 pm

Hey Guys, l got my first TPW on, been going 3 weeks followed the recipe and all is good. It's pretty well stopped bubbling so dropped in the hydrometer and it's sitting on 900 not to sure what to think has it gone to far or got more to go?. It's cleared to a pale pinkish orange and you can see all the sediment at the bottom. Am I good to run this on the weekend or should I leave it some more? ta
Groova

equipment: Pure Distilling reflux still

Postby rumdidlydum » Wed Aug 19, 2015 5:43 pm

Run that bi#@ch :handgestures-thumbupleft:
rumdidlydum

equipment: The infamous Illuminated chicken leg boiler, Rum glass and other bits and bobs

Postby WalterWhite » Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:00 pm

Have just put my first ever wash on and of course it's a TPW!!
Having never even attempted stilling before I have obviously done a lot of reading ... And TPW was my only choice :)
One question though ... I've pitched the yeast bang on 30 degrees and it's all looking fine. Will leave the lid loose for 24 hours then out the airlock on and let her have fun!
Is it necessary to do hydrometer readings? Have brewed beer in the past and tended to just judge it by the airlock and clarity ... Ie. Less than a gurgle a minute from the lock and she's ready? But happy to use the hydrometer if you guys say it's the way to go :)
WalterWhite

equipment: 35L Digiboil with power control, 2” copper pot combo with optional extended column.

Postby rumdidlydum » Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:07 pm

You dont have to use it. It gives you and idea what gravity it starts at and how its progresing and finishing. Some fermenters are a bitch to seal and may leak a bit of co2 so it will give you a false reading through the air locked. Being your 1st i recomend take a reading for your own benifit so you can see the changes for yourself. Tpw generally dont feement like crazy so it shouldn't end up on your celing. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
rumdidlydum

equipment: The infamous Illuminated chicken leg boiler, Rum glass and other bits and bobs

Postby WalterWhite » Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:25 pm

Thanks for the reply rum.
Just went to do the reading and have a pretty decent looking foam already.
Assuming I got the reading right my wash has an SG of 1.075 ... Does that sound about right?
Written it down with the time and date ... Prob a good idea to keep a diary of my stilling adventures anyway ;)
WalterWhite

equipment: 35L Digiboil with power control, 2” copper pot combo with optional extended column.

PreviousNext

Return to Recipe Development