Teddy's Fast Fermenting Vodka (FFV) Discussion

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Re: Teddy's Fast Fermenting Vodka (FFV) Discussion

Postby ruskie » Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:08 pm

Is it very bad if you add the yeast in above 30C, like 40C? Does it kill it off?
ruskie

equipment: Stillspirits Air Still

Postby EziTasting » Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:37 pm

ruskie wrote:Is it very bad if you add the yeast in above 30C, like 40C? Does it kill it off?

Hah. When the excitement strikes ... I’d say, yes, the majority would be cactus. Good news is, that they can now be utilized as fertilizer for the new yeast you will add, once the temp is around 30 degrees..
EziTasting

equipment: Newbie - Keg Boiler & 4" 4 plate glasser

Postby ruskie » Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:04 pm

EziTasting wrote:
ruskie wrote:Is it very bad if you add the yeast in above 30C, like 40C? Does it kill it off?

Hah. When the excitement strikes ... I’d say, yes, the majority would be cactus. Good news is, that they can now be utilized as fertilizer for the new yeast you will add, once the temp is around 30 degrees..

Thanks EziTasting it is bubbling away really nicely ATM with a nice cover on it. So should I still be putting more in? if so how much?
ruskie

equipment: Stillspirits Air Still

Postby EziTasting » Sat Nov 04, 2017 4:29 pm

I wouldn’t worry if its bubling.

What’s happening is that the original qty of yeast wouldn’t be the same due to the heat killing some unknown qty... so it takes long for it to get going. That ‘could’ allow other yeast/bacteria to enter... in competition with the desired yeast.

Not a massive problem, especially when it’s bubbling.

With experience, you’ll get this less and less as your procedures and habits improve.
EziTasting

Postby effque » Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:45 pm

i will be getting some Dap tomorrow and chucking a 50L wash on i have everything but my multivitamins are out of date last year in april 2017 they are swisse mens ultivite can i use them ? will they still work?

This is my first time doing this wash so not sure how forgiving out of date multi vitamins will be

if someone has suggestions on some CHEAPER vitamins i can get from coles or woolies or even aldi if they sell multi vitamins plz let me know

THANKS
effque

equipment: 50L keg boiler 4" sight glass 2" copper modular reflux/pot 2x2200W elements 2" shotty
2 beer kegs for storage or low wine collection
35L of 5L glass jars
25L french oak barrel made from an ex muscat barrel

Postby Bundaboy » Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:43 pm

effque wrote:i will be getting some Dap tomorrow and chucking a 50L wash on i have everything but my multivitamins are out of date last year in april 2017 they are swisse mens ultivite can i use them ? will they still work?

This is my first time doing this wash so not sure how forgiving out of date multi vitamins will be

if someone has suggestions on some CHEAPER vitamins i can get from coles or woolies or even aldi if they sell multi vitamins plz let me know

THANKS

Personally I think you will get away with the out of date vitamins. Aldi *used* to have the cheapest MVs (Essentialhealth) one-a-day men's) but at least in my stores they have discontinued them, I currently use Cenovis, but they vary in price from place to place. I bought my last lot "on special" at Priceline, only to find them cheaper at Coles.

I have to say that I think it is way more important to keep the wash at a reasonably constant 30C - that has, at least, been my experience, and since "clinking" to that I have done, at least, half a dozen washes with perfect results.
Bundaboy

equipment: MH-943/s water distiller
Some parts in the shed for something more "traditional", 2" MacBoka atop a 50L SS keg fitted with 2 x 2400W weldless elements (with guards).

Postby EziTasting » Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:47 pm

Most foods nowadays have “best before” date because dried food stuffs doesn’t actually change, or ‘dy off’. Keep in mind, they are dryso it’s not like they’re in a high state of energy to be reacting (Read oxydising)... having said that, there will be some reactions going on so they slowly loose their effectiveness- just use more...

:text-+1: on the temp control! The more I read, even on beer forums, their main focus is controlling the temp (once they have their recipe right)...
Last edited by EziTasting on Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
EziTasting

Postby Rolls912 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:01 pm

I going to give this bad boy a crack.
I’m looking for the purest tasting alcohol for gin. I’ve tried TPW. Keen to not have too much wheaty flavour. Would it be okay to halve the amount of bran to reduce the flavour?
Rolls912

equipment: 5SD 4inch Boka
5SD pot still
5SD milk can
Carter head
Charcoal filter
Temp controller

Postby effque » Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:58 pm

Ok thanks for the info guys yeh i'm going to try my out of date MV'S and see if it matters i have read the thread top to bottom a week ago and am currently re-reading it

Bundaboy wrote:
effque wrote:i will be getting some Dap tomorrow and chucking a 50L wash on i have everything but my multivitamins are out of date last year in april 2017 they are swisse mens ultivite can i use them ? will they still work?

THANKS

Personally I think you will get away with the out of date vitamins. Aldi *used* to have the cheapest MVs (Essentialhealth) one-a-day men's) but at least in my stores they have discontinued them, I currently use Cenovis, but they vary in price from place to place. I bought my last lot "on special" at Priceline, only to find them cheaper at Coles.

I have to say that I think it is way more important to keep the wash at a reasonably constant 30C - that has, at least, been my experience, and since "clinking" to that I have done, at least, half a dozen washes with perfect results.

Yes i read the problems you've had and am thinking if my ferment time doesnt stay heated i might buy a 10$ aquarium heater type thing on ebay might give a blanket or sleeping bag a go im going to try to start the ferment off around 37 degrees before adding the yeast and see if it just holds temp it'll be sitting next to 75L of TPW i put on 1day and a half ago

THANKS GUYS
effque

equipment: 50L keg boiler 4" sight glass 2" copper modular reflux/pot 2x2200W elements 2" shotty
35L of 5L glass jars

Postby Teddysad » Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:51 am

Rolls912 wrote:I going to give this bad boy a crack.
I’m looking for the purest tasting alcohol for gin. I’ve tried TPW. Keen to not have too much wheaty flavour. Would it be okay to halve the amount of bran to reduce the flavour?

Yes will be OK will be a tad slower thats all
Teddysad

equipment: FSD 4"SSG with packed column 50l Boiler keg. Alex 25 for smaller scale runs

Postby effque » Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:36 pm

Hi so today i went to get the last ingredient for the mix all i needed was some DAP but my local HBS didnt have any (had some on order but his supply was having trouble sourcing it) can some one give me some recommendations on where i could get some ?
or is there an alternative to using DAP ?

****EDIT**** would this be appropriate ? https://www.anpros.com.au/wine-making-p ... phate-dap/
Last edited by effque on Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
effque

35L of 5L glass jars

Postby effque » Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:15 pm

sorry i cant edit the above post that website i linked has a minimum order of 20$
im thinking of getting this : https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/162385488377
how long would 250grams last ?
i want to know whether to buy 1 or 2 to avoid another postage fee in the future
effque

35L of 5L glass jars

Postby Bundaboy » Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:10 pm

effque wrote:sorry i cant edit the above post that website i linked has a minimum order of 20$
im thinking of getting this : https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/162385488377
how long would 250grams last ?
i want to know whether to buy 1 or 2 to avoid another postage fee in the future

Your HBS should sell "Wine Nutrient" which is DAP + vitamins and minerals

I actually used that before I forked out for the DAP (which is cheap but shipping sure as hell ain't) but blamed it for a slow ferment before I realised that that was being caused by temperature.

Technically "Wine Nutrient" could replace both the DAP and the MVs - Ted or another "master" may like to confirm that?

Alas my "Wine Nutrient" is now out of date but I am inclined to try it in a 23L wash to test it out.

after 8 x 138L washes I have used around 175g of DAP.

You should get around 1600L of wash from 250g of DAP by my calculations.

BTW your DAP link indicates you can collect it at your local Woolworths (although for me it indicates a BigW which is not ideal for me but better than paying postage).

Cheers.

PS: My 500g bag of DAP was $9.90 + $10.55 postage :-( Of around about a dozen suppliers that was the cheapest price+postage I could find.
Last edited by Bundaboy on Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bundaboy

Some parts in the shed for something more "traditional", 2" MacBoka atop a 50L SS keg fitted with 2 x 2400W weldless elements (with guards).

Postby RC Al » Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:15 pm

I've just used the wine nutrient in 2 different wbab's one at the 4 teaspoon per 23l, one at 1 teaspoon. The 4 tsp took a week and still waiting for 1tsp to finish at 2 weeks.
RC Al
Mentor

equipment: 3 plate 4" glasser
2" Potty

Postby effque » Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:36 pm

i ended up buying the DAP from Ebay https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/162385488377 for 15 or so dollars 7$ plus 8$ postage (postage cost more then the dap LOL) but all up i think 1600L for 15$ is well worth it (according to bundaboys calculations) its not often i buy shit off ebay and i have bought a infared thermometer and a PH tester in the last 24 hours *** EXCITING**** which i have come across by reading the TPW 60 page thread and this FFV 13 page thread (SO CHEAP) Gotta love finding old relevant information that helps you out even if its not what your actually interested at the time

was tempted to buy the 2x 100watt aquarium heaters for $18 off ebay that i found the link for in one of these threads but my 3 day old TPW is still sitting on 29-30 degrees so im not sure if its worth worrying about. (im in brisbane)

once again thanks Bundaboy for the reply good to see you still browsing the thread offering support to problems after all your initial hassle getting your FFV up and running reading you and peregian's reply's/converstaion has taught me quite a bit (being a brand newbie ))
Last edited by effque on Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
effque

35L of 5L glass jars

Postby Bundaboy » Sat Mar 31, 2018 3:42 pm

effque wrote:and a PH tester

was tempted to buy the 2x 100watt aquarium heaters for $18 off ebay that i found the link for in one of these threads but my 3 day old TPW is still sitting on 29-30 degrees so im not sure if its worth worrying about. (im in brisbane)

If you haven't already been made aware, be very careful with the ph tester, the sensor is VERY fragile - you can probably guess how I know.

I use one of those aquarium heaters (and the other remains a spare) and a 30 year old space blanket, but I can assure you it is very much cooler down here in the Southern Highlands of NSW than *anywhere* in Queensland so you may be fine, still it can get cool in June/July, but you may well get by with just a space blanket/car sun screen/sleeping bag/blanket for the FFV.

I must have a look at that IR thermometer, thanks for the heads up.
Bundaboy

Postby effque » Sat Mar 31, 2018 7:46 pm

Bundaboy wrote:
effque wrote:and a PH tester

If you haven't already been made aware, be very careful with the ph tester, the sensor is VERY fragile - you can probably guess how I know.

I use one of those aquarium heaters (and the other remains a spare) and a 30 year old space blanket, but I can assure you it is very much cooler down here in the Southern Highlands of NSW than *anywhere* in Queensland so you may be fine, still it can get cool in June/July, but you may well get by with just a space blanket/car sun screen/sleeping bag/blanket for the FFV.

I must have a look at that IR thermometer, thanks for the heads up.

thanks for the heads up with the PH TESTER i have been hesitant to buy the aquarium heaters until i monitor my wash temperatures (my tpws over the last 4-5 days still havent dropped below 29 degrees so i think i will hold off till winter and see what my lowest temp gets to before i waste 20$ on 2 aquarium heater (THEY ARE A GREAT PRICE, but so far i dont need them)

i bought a IR THERMOMETER bundaboy when it shows up i can give you my own opinion on it but so far the reviews i've seen on it (youtube) LOOK GREAT!! especially for 10$
effque

35L of 5L glass jars

Postby Bundaboy » Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:10 pm

effque wrote:i bought a IR THERMOMETER bundaboy when it shows up i can give you my own opinion on it but so far the reviews i've seen on it (youtube) LOOK GREAT!! especially for 10$

A link would be great! ;-)
Bundaboy

Postby effque » Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:06 pm

Bundaboy wrote:
effque wrote:i bought a IR THERMOMETER bundaboy when it shows up i can give you my own opinion on it but so far the reviews i've seen on it (youtube) LOOK GREAT!! especially for 10$

A link would be great! ;-)
\

https://www.ebay.com.au/i/132518878903? ... dispItem=1

If you want to Do your own research the model number is GM320

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1UcH8zPVcU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7MtheS5zsQ

^^^
the reviews i watched before i bought it
effque

35L of 5L glass jars

Postby Bundaboy » Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:55 am

Cheers mate, there are plenty of those style of thermometers available, but it is always good to get one known to work.
Bundaboy

PreviousNext

Return to Recipe Development