Teddy's Fast Fermenting Vodka (FFV) Discussion

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Re: Teddy's Fast Fermenting Vodka (FFV) Discussion

Postby oglennyboy » Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:50 am

I did my second spirit run of this recipe last week, after stripping 3x25L batches. This time I ran the final spirit run of about 20L at 40%, compared with the first time I ran nearly 30L at 30%. I'm just using a simple pot still, 600mm 2" column on my 44L electric homebrew urn.
I ran it really slowly this time, 1.25L/hr and ended up with quite a difference in the quality of the output. Most of the run came out at 80-82%, and after discarding the first 500ml, collected in 24x250ml jars, with 2L of tails for the big bucket.
What I noticed compared with the first time I spirit ran this is the smell after airing was really consistent and nice over most jars, and the jars kept ended up being a much larger volume, with a really nice subtle flavour in the best of the hearts jars. I ended up with 4.5L @ 40% of nice vodka, and 3.5L @ 40% that is on oak to have a couple of essences (a rum & a bourbon one) added.
Does anyone think the improvement is down to more likely the slow run (which was painful! 7 hours!) or the higher starting ABV? I see 40% is the max you can run, but is there any risk of flash over at 40%?
I'm wondering when it comes time to spirit run my Pugi-rum whether the same results are going to show up, is it better to run at 35-40% rather than 30%, and if running very slowly is going to pull out too much flavour?
cheers
oglennyboy

equipment: 44 litre urn for homebrew, just finished making a pot still attachment and about to get excited!

Postby Bundaboy » Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:44 am

oglennyboy wrote:I did my second spirit run of this recipe last week, after stripping 3x25L batches. This time I ran the final spirit run of about 20L at 40%, compared with the first time I ran nearly 30L at 30%. I'm just using a simple pot still, 600mm 2" column on my 44L electric homebrew urn.
I ran it really slowly this time, 1.25L/hr and ended up with quite a difference in the quality of the output. Most of the run came out at 80-82%, and after discarding the first 500ml, collected in 24x250ml jars, with 2L of tails for the big bucket.
What I noticed compared with the first time I spirit ran this is the smell after airing was really consistent and nice over most jars, and the jars kept ended up being a much larger volume, with a really nice subtle flavour in the best of the hearts jars. I ended up with 4.5L @ 40% of nice vodka, and 3.5L @ 40% that is on oak to have a couple of essences (a rum & a bourbon one) added.
Does anyone think the improvement is down to more likely the slow run (which was painful! 7 hours!) or the higher starting ABV? I see 40% is the max you can run, but is there any risk of flash over at 40%?
I'm wondering when it comes time to spirit run my Pugi-rum whether the same results are going to show up, is it better to run at 35-40% rather than 30%, and if running very slowly is going to pull out too much flavour?
cheers

As I run a column still I am not really qualified to respond to you other than to say I "dream" of running at 1.25L an hour - I consider I am pushing it at 1L an hour, and I do find the slower I run it the better the results, certainly the slower I run it the further the tails are pushed down towards the end.
Bundaboy

equipment: MH-943/s water distiller
Some parts in the shed for something more "traditional", 2" MacBoka atop a 50L SS keg fitted with 2 x 2400W weldless elements (with guards).

Postby RC Al » Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:02 pm

Lols, less than half a liter an hour here
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RC Al
Mentor

equipment: 3 plate 4" glasser
2" Potty

Postby warramungas » Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:22 pm

The good thing about the small setups is that you can run small batches of 25 or so liters comfortably and try new things.
With big setups like 4" columns you really need a minimum of 50+ liters of wash to make it worth your while and while they're faster at 2+ liters an hour you've got more to get out. My 100 runs take around 5 hours plus heat up.
Same for a 25 liter with a slower takeoff rate.
I just get more bulk product.
warramungas

equipment: 180 litre fermenter x 2
30 liter boiler
PDA-1
2" four plate modular bubbler
2" one meter long LM column
110 liter boiler with 25 liter (max) inline thumper
4" x 4 plate bubble cap still

Postby RC Al » Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:58 pm

Heh, that's a 5L boiler - I have around 2-3 hours in a finished 700ml made from double distilled neutral
As much as I knock it, considering my missus swapped it for some cat/house sitting, it owes me nothing, has given me a heap of runs worth of experience and led me here and a few other places, I'm certainly the richer for it.
RC Al
Mentor

2" Potty

Postby effque » Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:17 pm

going to try this recipe today probably 2x50L versions i read the thread all the way through twice a month ago and re-reading it again now how important is leaving the lid off for 36hrs ? i have 60L fermenters and usually have 10cms-14cm of height from the lid to the top of the wash
effque

equipment: 50L keg boiler 4" sight glass 2" copper modular reflux/pot 2x2200W elements 2" shotty
2 beer kegs for storage or low wine collection
35L of 5L glass jars
25L french oak barrel made from an ex muscat barrel

Postby Teddysad » Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:40 pm

You should be fine to lid and airlock those Just monitor it and be prepared
Teddysad

equipment: FSD 4"SSG with packed column 50l Boiler keg. Alex 25 for smaller scale runs

Postby effque » Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:01 pm

assuming you can double up on the water and bran and do 500g boiled and simmered ?

also when its finished i dont drain it do i ?, just pour it straight into the fermenter
effque

equipment: 50L keg boiler 4" sight glass 2" copper modular reflux/pot 2x2200W elements 2" shotty
35L of 5L glass jars

Postby Teddysad » Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:40 pm

Correct on birth
Teddysad

equipment: FSD 4"SSG with packed column 50l Boiler keg. Alex 25 for smaller scale runs

Postby Lowie » Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:29 pm

Teddysad wrote:Correct on birth

Are you saying distill the whole ferment Teddy - bran and all?
I have always strained off the bran first and ditched it... :think:
Lowie

equipment: 4", 4 plate "Frankenfurter" copper bubbler and blockhead on a 50L 3000W electric boiler, 10000W controller - don't even know why I need that much, all grain HERMS system through 18G HLT keg and 50L mash tun.

Postby Teddysad » Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:03 pm

No I believe he is talking about the ferment stage - putting the simmered bran and water into the fermenter. Not the distilling stage.
After ferment is finished rack off and leave the trub etc behind.
Last edited by Teddysad on Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Teddysad

Postby Bundaboy » Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:21 pm

Teddysad wrote:No I believe he is talking about the ferment stage - putting the simmered bran and water into the fermenter. Not the distilling stage.
After ferment is finished rack off and leave the trub etc behind.

Just as an aside Ted, have you ever taken note of how much yeast there is left, after clearing, in a finished wash? It's unbelievable, those horny little buggers sure do enjoy your recipe!
Bundaboy

Some parts in the shed for something more "traditional", 2" MacBoka atop a 50L SS keg fitted with 2 x 2400W weldless elements (with guards).

Postby effque » Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:07 pm

Teddysad wrote:ng to try this recipe today probably 2x50L versions i read the thread all the way through twice a month ago and re-reading it again now how important is leaving the lid off for 36hrs ? i have 60L fermenters and usually have 10cms-14cm of height from the lid to the top of th

yeh that was what i meant thanks
effque

35L of 5L glass jars

Postby Teddysad » Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:43 am

Bundaboy wrote:Just as an aside Ted, have you ever taken note of how much yeast there is left, after clearing, in a finished wash? It's unbelievable, those horny little buggers sure do enjoy your recipe!

Yes ! that is the key to a good ferment. I have harvested and reused but at the price of the new yeast have found it is not necessary. Not like some of the more esoteric varieties I have used on other ferments.
Teddysad

Postby Shaki123 » Wed May 02, 2018 2:59 pm

Teddy i did your tomato paste vodka and ran it through the still 6 times holy moly ten points cheers for a gr8 recipe.
Save heaps of $$$
Its better alternative to turbo ingredients which are exspenive.
Can i make other flavours with this nuetral spirit by adding essence?
Shaki123

equipment: Turbo500 still.
Ez filtration
30 litre fermentation vessel

Postby RC Al » Wed May 02, 2018 3:55 pm

You sure can
I recommend however that you check out the recipes section, my personal easy to make faves so far are the G dropper and Mrs Mac Khalua
http://aussiedistiller.com.au/viewforum.php?f=32
RC Al
Mentor

2" Potty

Postby EziTasting » Wed May 02, 2018 7:48 pm

:text-+1:

Love doing the G-Dropper with different fruits - Ladies love that stuff!!! And it gains you plenty of browny points since you can do your own stuff!! :handgestures-thumbupleft:
EziTasting

equipment: Newbie - Keg Boiler & 4" 4 plate glasser

Postby effque » Thu May 03, 2018 1:29 am

ok so i've had this recipe going for the last week (2x 50L washes) wouldve put it down last thursday and i think it'll come close to finishing over the next day or so i'm guessing the reason is heat, up until a week or so ago my TPW where staying at a constant 30 degrees all the way till .990 but the sudden cold snap in brisbane has seen my starting ferment temp at 34- 36 drop down to 22-24 as of last night.

next week when i get paid im going to buy some aquarium heaters (100W x2 from ebay for 22 (11 each)) and i will let you guys know what the final verdict is after the 2nd trial of this recipe for me goes

atm i'm throwing the fast ferment not completing as fast down to not being warm enough

i could've bought the aquarium heaters 2-3 weeks ago but at that stage i was getting my ferments completed at 30 degrees still and didnt want to buy aquarium heaters unless i needed too i'll update after the next batch finishes on aquarium heaters (hopefully 4 days)
effque

35L of 5L glass jars

Postby Bundaboy » Thu May 03, 2018 8:56 pm

Shaki123 wrote:Teddy i did your tomato paste vodka and ran it through the still 6 times holy moly ten points cheers for a gr8 recipe.
Save heaps of $$$
Its better alternative to turbo ingredients which are exspenive.
Can i make other flavours with this nuetral spirit by adding essence?

I assume by that you mean you have adapted Ted's FFV to TPW for a fast ferment? Interesting, can you elaborate on why you prefer tomato paste to bran?

I always (sadly) add essence to my FFV, alas it is still the HBS variety as, as far as I know, no one has come up with a whisky recipe as yet.

If you are a whisky person the Still Spirits Whisk(e)y profile kit is a goer, but I always recommend the Still Spirits Irish Whiskey (it's been renamed to some silly thing like Shamrock Whiskey), it's a very versatile essence as you can add a little peat essence to make it taste like a Scottish single malt IMHO.
Bundaboy

Postby Professor Green » Fri May 04, 2018 9:23 am

Any reason you ran it 6 times though the still Shaki123? That seems a bit excessive to me. I would have thought a double distillation on a T500 with good cuts would have provided more than satisfactory results. I think you're wasting time and money on the extra 4 runs for very little benefit.

Any appropriately diluted neutral, can be flavoured with HBS cordials however they're never really going to match up to a specifically distilled and aged product. Given you're neutral didn't cost much to make, you can afford to experiment with some HBS flavours and see if you like them. I suspect you're going to be disappointed with the results but everyone's taste is
different.

Cheers,
Prof. Green.
Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

PreviousNext

Return to Recipe Development