Teddy's Fast Fermenting Vodka (FFV) Discussion

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Re: Teddy's Fast Fermenting Vodka (FFV) Discussion

Postby Matt_Pl » Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:26 pm

4 weeks in Darwin and its still bubbling in my 220 litre olive drum.

Hopefully it finishes off before i die from old age.
Matt_Pl

equipment: 4" FSD Neutraliser, custom made 50 litre SS Keg Boiler powered by 4800 killer wasps.

Postby Bundaboy » Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:53 am

Matt_Pl wrote:4 weeks in Darwin and its still bubbling in my 220 litre olive drum.

That's interesting, I had a similar problem with my first couple of batches but with the help of Peregian, Teddy, et al. I now have very consistent results and have simplified the process no end and it still performs brilliantly.

I had come to the conclusion that my initial problem was low temperature - I now keep the ferment at around 30C and the yeast seems to love that - in fact the ferment keeps itself warm for about one and a half days, then I drop in a small aquarium heater that really works well (an other idea from this thread).

Having said that, you being in Darwin suggests that temperature isn't your problem.

I do 160L batches so it's not a scaling issue.

If you post your process and materials someone may recognise an issue.

Cheers, I hope it ferments out well for you anyway.
Bundaboy

equipment: MH-943/s water distiller
Some parts in the shed for something more "traditional", 2" MacBoka atop a 50L SS keg fitted with 2 x 2400W weldless elements (with guards).

Postby Peregian » Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:13 am

Matt_Pl wrote:4 weeks in Darwin and its still bubbling in my 220 litre olive drum.

Hi Matt, did you aerate the wash after adding the yeast?

I use a stick blender with an aerating blade but this may be difficult in a 220 liter drum. the trick with the blender is to use it on the side of the fermenter with about half the blade out of the wash and it set up a cavitation pulling air into the wash. When you hit the sweet spot it makes a very distinctive sound, similar to an outboard motor prop sucking air.
Peregian

equipment: Keg for boiler (element), Pot still head for stripping and a Nixon Stone offset head stainless still for spirit runs.

Postby Matt_Pl » Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:23 am

I use an 18 v battery drill and a paint sturrer, it works very well. I am not too fussed with a long ferment. I checked the wash this morning its still bubbling away so it hasnt stalled yet.

I attempted to give it a stir last weekend, it bubbled over the fermenter lip so I certainly wont be doing that again!
Matt_Pl

equipment: 4" FSD Neutraliser, custom made 50 litre SS Keg Boiler powered by 4800 killer wasps.

Postby Peregian » Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:49 am

Matt_Pl wrote:I use an 18 v battery drill and a paint sturrer,

Is the paint stirrer sucking in air or just stirring every thing together?

When I have finished with the stick blender the top of the wash is covered in largish bubbles. Up your way temperature should not be a problem, I am on the Sunshine coast so gets a bit cool overnight this time of year, the washes still finish in 72 hours if I wrap then in a sleeping bag, I put 4 x 30 liter fermenters together to form a thermal block.

Something odd going on.....yeast....water quality......PH levels......type/quantity of nutrient added.
Peregian

equipment: Keg for boiler (element), Pot still head for stripping and a Nixon Stone offset head stainless still for spirit runs.

Postby Bundaboy » Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:55 pm

Matt_Pl wrote:I use an 18 v battery drill and a paint sturrer

Did you remember to clean the paint stirrer since the last time you painted the house? :))
Bundaboy

equipment: MH-943/s water distiller
Some parts in the shed for something more "traditional", 2" MacBoka atop a 50L SS keg fitted with 2 x 2400W weldless elements (with guards).

Postby Fireplace01 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:38 am

Wondering if it is worth holding the bran at 65deg and treating it like a full grain to get sugars out, weather there is going to be an advantage
Fireplace01

equipment: Copperhead reflux
2" pot still
3" stripping pot build

Postby Teddysad » Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:25 am

Fireplace01 wrote:Wondering if it is worth holding the bran at 65deg and treating it like a full grain to get sugars out, weather there is going to be an advantage

Unless you are adding an enzyme (either directly or via malt) you wont see much gain in sugars.

The bran is there for both nutrient and more importantly flavour
Teddysad

equipment: FSD 4"SSG with packed column 50l Boiler keg. Alex 25 for smaller scale runs

Postby Fireplace01 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:49 am

Yeah cheers, was thinking nothing to gain, just thought I would check
Fireplace01

equipment: Copperhead reflux
2" pot still
3" stripping pot build

Postby Darwin award » Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:53 am

got me thinking Matt, maybe it IS temperature, the yeast will generate a fair bit of heat, specially in a 200 ltr drum, maybe it got a bit hot for the little buggers?
Darwin award
Site Donor

equipment: Reflux still 1x store bought 1x home made copper 1 x eBay pot still....1 FSD Neutralizer set up and happy in it's new home

Postby skurvy84 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:59 am

How would this go without the use of DAP? Im finding it pretty hard to get in town and my 2 options are either order it online or drive 4hrs to the nearest brewshop.

Is there some thing that can be used in its place to substitute it thats readily available?
skurvy84

equipment: Basic still spirits super reflux junker detuned, Pure Distilling Ultra reflux, keg boiler and pot still in the build process

Postby bluc » Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:08 pm

Tomato paste will work but may leave a tomato flavour. Also hear dap( diammonium phosphate) is a fertiliser and available from rural or gardening shops. No idea of difference between rural grade and stuff from home brew shop...
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby Sam. » Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:50 pm

If it isn't good grade and white in color I wouldn't use it from an agricultural place. They usually sell it by the semi load anyway.

Just give it a crack without it to start, it should still take off then order some and add it when it rocks up :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby Nino » Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:36 pm

skurvy84 wrote:How would this go without the use of DAP? Im finding it pretty hard to get in town and my 2 options are either order it online or drive 4hrs to the nearest brewshop.

Is there some thing that can be used in its place to substitute it thats readily available?

It will still work just take a little longer to ferment out. I have forgotten to put DAP in a couple of times and it still worked.

Are you putting in a multi vitamin? If so it will be fine.
Nino

equipment: Black Mangus reflux still and 30lt boiler. 4" Modular pot still from FSD. Now a 50lt keg boiler with 2 2400 watt heating elements and a controller. 5 plate bubbler with a 500mm packed section

Postby wynnum1 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:28 pm

wynnum1

Postby skurvy84 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:12 am

So its just a yeast nutrient am i correct?, can the same thing be achieved with just a generous amount of boiled/dead yeast cells? I take it the nitrogen is what helps the ffv finish as quick as its supposed to.
skurvy84

equipment: Basic still spirits super reflux junker detuned, Pure Distilling Ultra reflux, keg boiler and pot still in the build process

Postby Teddysad » Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:35 pm

Yes you are correct. The nitrogen is balanced with the vitamins and magnesium to give the yeast the energy it wants to work well.
Stick to food grade DAP. at 10c or so per 23 - 25l wash it makes this recipe really race along.

The "designed for fuel" Turbo Yeasts are far more expensive and produce a lot of off-flavours.
Teddysad

equipment: FSD 4"SSG with packed column 50l Boiler keg. Alex 25 for smaller scale runs

Postby wynnum1 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:21 am

There are a lot of chemicals that have nitrogen like sodium nitrite and potassium nitrate calcium nitrate that are used in food and can buy food grade but there seems to be very little written about effects on yeast.
Sodium nitrite seems to be very toxic in concentrated form.
wynnum1

Postby ruskie » Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:08 am

Got a question on fermentation time. I did a 10L wash (pretty much 1/2 the ingredients) of this and the same time a 25L TPW. The FFV was still bubbling after 4 days and the TPW got to 990 before the FFV. Did them both on a Sunday by the following Sunday the FFV was still at about 1000 and the TPW was at 990.

Just wondering why it would have taken so long, I think I used about 2.125Kg of sugar, maybe that is why?
ruskie

equipment: Stillspirits Air Still

Postby Teddysad » Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:59 am

You got it. The sugar you used is almost the equivalent of 5kg in the 23l wash.

You have a starting SG of around 1.083 vs the recommended 1.065
It is the lower level helps with the speed and has been discussed.
You get a slightly lower yield but with the time can get more done over a given period.
Teddysad

PreviousNext

Return to Recipe Development