Teddy's Fast Fermenting Vodka (FFV) Discussion

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Re: Teddy's Fast Fermenting Vodka (FFV) Discussion

Postby Wobblyboot » Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:49 pm

My 220l fermenter is empty and needs something in it, so gunna give this a shot. Looking at doing about 180l so how many multi-tabs are needed for it?
Wobblyboot

equipment: 4" glass bubbler

Postby Teddysad » Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:59 pm

I would use 2 or 3
Teddysad

equipment: FSD 4"SSG with packed column 50l Boiler keg. Alex 25 for smaller scale runs

Postby Bundaboy » Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:01 pm

Sam. wrote:This topic is the continued discussion on Teddy's Fast Fermenting Vodka, if you want to soak oak chips in vodka then maybe another thread may be in order and I can happily move these posts to it for you ;-)

Just trying to keep you on your toes (yeah I know I have been banned for less ;-)) Cheers for the heads up.
Bundaboy

equipment: MH-943/s water distiller
Some parts in the shed for something more "traditional", 2" MacBoka atop a 50L SS keg fitted with 2 x 2400W weldless elements (with guards).

Postby Wobblyboot » Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:56 pm

Teddysad wrote:I would use 2 or 3

:handgestures-thumbupleft: looks like some of it will make some good gin :romance-kisscheek:
Wobblyboot

Postby Sam. » Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:43 pm

Bundaboy wrote:
Sam. wrote:This topic is the continued discussion on Teddy's Fast Fermenting Vodka, if you want to soak oak chips in vodka then maybe another thread may be in order and I can happily move these posts to it for you ;-)

Just trying to keep you on your toes (yeah I know I have been banned for less ;-)) Cheers for the heads up.

Can't remember banning you? Mine are usually permanent.

If you have some issue you would like to talk about please feel free to PM me as this is taking this thread even further off topic.
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby oglennyboy » Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:57 pm

Gday, brand new to distilling, but had a pretty good idea that I wanted to make a pot still as an attachment to my beer making urn, and get into rums & bourbons, rather than go reflux.

Then I came across this recipe and have decided to put my first brew down as a 75 litre version, using my big ol' 60L and a 30L fermenter. Hoping that after a strip & a slow run I'll end up with something lightly flavoured. It seems from a couple of comments through this thread that it's achievable? Not as efficient as reflux etc, but still a good product?

Used Woolies homebrand wheat bran, and a Berocca along with DAP & Epsom salts. pH was a little high at 6.2, so dropped in a couple of lemon cubes in place of the citric.
I was a bit concerned that the huuge amount of sugar gave me an SG 6 points short, but forgot the temp calibration, so bang on 1.066 just like the calculator said. Man, that's a lot less stressful than all grain!

Also super impressed that the bakers yeast (120 grams! WTF?) kicked off in about 15 minutes flat, with the wash at 34*. Have set my heating & blankies to keep it at 32*, so am also keen to see how quickly it wraps up, hopefully in time for a big strip on Sunday.

See some pics in the Welcome section if you're interested, I'm gonna post some completion shots when I do my cleaning runs in the next couple of days. Good fun building it with a chap who has a lot more skill with the metal work than I do.
cheers!
oglennyboy

equipment: 44 litre urn for homebrew, just finished making a pot still attachment and about to get excited!

Postby Lowie » Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:02 pm

Nice one mate. Sounds like you're on the right track. I used to put down TPW's but found Teddy's FFV far superior for a better neutral taste, and it doesn't take that much longer.
Lowie

equipment: 4", 4 plate "Frankenfurter" copper bubbler and blockhead on a 50L 3000W electric boiler, 10000W controller - don't even know why I need that much, all grain HERMS system through 18G HLT keg and 50L mash tun.

Postby oglennyboy » Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:43 pm

So that's my first spirit run in the pot done and dusted.
24L @ 30% gave me 10.25L in the end, 500ml fores & a little head out first, then run out in 24x250ml jars and then the last 3.75L in 500ml lots to save for feints. At a tick under 2 litres/hr it was a bloody long day, only saved by cranking the the tails once I was certain I was in them (and ran out of little jars!)

After airing for 48 hours, and doing the taste & sniff test tonight I'm pretty happy with the breakdown:
Jars 1-7 heads-y, unpleasant smell mostly, consistent rough taste 81-78%
Jar 8 pretty good, kept to blend with 19 and just made a kahlua :)
Jars 9-15 lovely light smell, no sharpness, taste of just the hint of wheat, almost sweet. Stoked! 78-75%
Jars 16-19 and strangely Jar 23 are also going to be kept to maybe make Galliano and other assorted flavoured Euro mixers. There's some interesting recipes floating about, really looking forward to getting into this side of things. 74-70%
Jars 20-22 and 24 were untasteable, smell was nothing like the shock of the taste, such a huge belt of strong wheaty flavour, oily mouthfeel, pretty sure it was terrible. 69-63% Gonna go back tomorrow though and check again, coulda just been too accustomed to the pleasant hearts :)
I haven't corrected the graph below for temp, there's only a couple % ABV to be added, but it was pretty much what I think I'd expected based on other posts.
Spirit run 24L.PNG

All said, I'm pretty pleased with how it's turned out, should end up with 3.2L of tasty vodka at 40%, plus about the same of miscellaneous mixers. A couple of weekend's work and the whole setup has paid for itself twice over, now that's a worthwhile hobby!

Great recipe Teddy, I was a little unsure that something good would come of only a strip & spirit run on a pot, but running slow small cuts, plenty of airing, and the flavour is there in the hearts, really quite light and with a great smell. Always like a nice wheat vodka, and this will do nicely :clap:
cheers!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
oglennyboy

equipment: 44 litre urn for homebrew, just finished making a pot still attachment and about to get excited!

Postby Teddysad » Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:33 pm

Great reporting.
While I developed this with reflux in mind on a spirit run, I am delighted with the pot still results you achieved.

If you have reflux ability, those 1st 7 jars could also be used as feints.

Happy you have joined the band of fans.

Ted
Teddysad

equipment: FSD 4"SSG with packed column 50l Boiler keg. Alex 25 for smaller scale runs

Postby Wobblyboot » Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:13 pm

The local supermarket didn't have the natural bran I normally use so I'm trying the oat bran. I made an all grain oats and rye not long ago, flavour was great to start off with and with time it lost all taste so I think this could make the fastest neutral. Aerated like usual but was lazy with yeast and just sprinkled on top 8-} kicked off in 2 min :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Wobblyboot

Postby texta » Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:22 pm

$16.45 incl from norco in toowoomba . dont think i will use it all in a hurry might have to have it for breakfast or some thing .
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
texta

equipment: non at all

Postby Plumby » Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:53 pm

texta wrote:$16.45 incl from norco in toowoomba . dont think i will use it all in a hurry might have to have it for breakfast or some thing .

Nice score :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Is that the one behind Bunnings on Anzac avenue?
Plumby

equipment: 50 litre keg boiler with a 2200watt element and a 2 inch pot still called Shaniqua with a 32mm over 19mm 800mm long liebig condenser attached.

Postby Bundaboy » Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:59 pm

texta wrote:$16.45 incl from norco in toowoomba . dont think i will use it all in a hurry might have to have it for breakfast or some thing .

Nice, but don't forget to freeze it for a week (if you don't have to I am going to call "not fair" ;-)).
Bundaboy

equipment: MH-943/s water distiller
Some parts in the shed for something more "traditional", 2" MacBoka atop a 50L SS keg fitted with 2 x 2400W weldless elements (with guards).

Postby texta » Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:02 pm

Plumby wrote:

Nice score :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Is that the one behind Bunnings on Anzac avenue?

yeah in the new building . they carry it all the time i am told , and 26 bucks for a 20lt mollasses . lucky i have a cold room to keep the bran in , should keep the crawlies out of it when the weather warms up.
texta

Postby Plumby » Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:04 pm

Good to know, I'll be paying them a visit next weekend.
Plumby

equipment: 50 litre keg boiler with a 2200watt element and a 2 inch pot still called Shaniqua with a 32mm over 19mm 800mm long liebig condenser attached.

Postby Huntsman96 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:32 pm

oglennyboy wrote:So that's my first spirit run in the pot done and dusted.
At a tick under 2 litres/hr it was a bloody long day, only saved by cranking the the tails once I was certain I was in them (and ran out of little jars!)
cheers!

I can't wait for 5 hrs to be a long run. With a 2" boka 12+ hours is the norm for my ffv spirit run.
Huntsman96

equipment: 2" boka / regular old pot still

Postby texta » Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:01 pm

i wonder would this FFV be gluten free , even though its made from wheat i would think distilation would get rid of the gluten in the final product .
texta

Postby Sam. » Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:12 pm

texta wrote:i wonder would this FFV be gluten free , even though its made from wheat i would think distilation would get rid of the gluten in the final product .

Unless you add gluten after distillation you will not have any gluten in any distilled product :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby texta » Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:15 pm

opened that 25kg bag of bran this morning to put it into lidded buckets for storage in the cold room and not a sign of any wild life at all,just nice clean fresh looking bran . so not going to worry about a few days in the freezer . i think just kept in the coldroom at 2 or 3 degrees it will be fine for quite a long time .
texta

Postby texta » Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:37 pm

just fired up my first one of these this arvo . as per recipe pretty well . and within 25 minutes it was coming alive then by 1.5 hours had a nice foam cap on it .so i will be watching with interest over the next few days see how she goes . the weather here is still pretty cool of a night time ( getting down to 4 or a bit lower )and first half of the morning but i have it in my brew cupboard sitting at the moment on a nice steady 26 degrees , i could take it up hotter than that but i would need to plug in the second heat lamp so i think i will just let it tick over on the one heater.
i use ceramic heat lamps ( 75 watt ) on a thermostat controller . its a thing i knocked up out of stuff i had from when i used to grow out day old chickens when they came out of the incubator .it holds 4 x 30 litre fermenters easy with some room to move and or lift lids for having a look with or without airlocks .
texta

PreviousNext

Return to Recipe Development