Teddy's Fast Fermenting Vodka (FFV) Discussion

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Re: Teddys Low Cost Turbo Alternative

Postby Bundaboy » Wed Mar 02, 2016 12:46 pm

Teddysad wrote:At a pinch you can always try this
https://www.woolworths.com.au/Shop/Brow ... ctId=93035

Great, I didn't see it in there but now I have a reference - half the time they don't know what they have in their own stores.

I suppose it's good to use something that is (hopefully) guaranteed to be fit for human consumption, and also that drinking our favourite tipple keeps us regular as well ;-)

It's bubbling away nicely now, at least as fast as an Alcotec 48 hour turbo, so hopefully I haven't wrecked it with the variations to the recipe I made.

As others have said the airlock is not really necessary but it's comforting to know it's happily fermenting away when it's a first attempt at a new recipe.
Bundaboy

equipment: MH-943/s water distiller
Some parts in the shed for something more "traditional", 2" MacBoka atop a 50L SS keg fitted with 2 x 2400W weldless elements (with guards).

Postby Bundaboy » Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:26 pm

aaaah! From the same place... THIS would likely be the right stuff wouldn't it (obviously we would need to see the ingredients on the back to be sure).

https://www.woolworths.com.au/Shop/Brow ... ctId=95076
Bundaboy

Some parts in the shed for something more "traditional", 2" MacBoka atop a 50L SS keg fitted with 2 x 2400W weldless elements (with guards).

Postby Teddysad » Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:31 pm

That woolies stuff is essentially a generic all-bran. I understand it is the exact same stuff I use - from the flour mills but processed by being compressed into little sticks with some added vitamins.

I am perfectly relaxed about using the stockfood stuff. One must realise that all the corn/maize used in bourbons and wheat and barleys are not rated food grade per se but agricultural grade too.
Teddysad

equipment: FSD 4"SSG with packed column 50l Boiler keg. Alex 25 for smaller scale runs

Postby Bundaboy » Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:44 pm

Teddysad wrote:That woolies stuff is essentially a generic all-bran. I understand it is the exact same stuff I use - from the flour mills but processed by being compressed into little sticks with some added vitamins.

I am perfectly relaxed about using the stockfood stuff. One must realise that all the corn/maize used in bourbons and wheat and barleys are not rated food grade per se but agricultural grade too.

Fair enough, it's as easy for me to get the right stuff as it is the processed stuff, and it hasn't killed you (yet ;-)) so that'll do me.
Bundaboy

Postby Boardy62 » Wed Mar 30, 2016 5:26 pm

I ran thus the other day the wash was as per directions it bubbled nicely (not as bubbling mass as expected though) but it must be my water even mcrum doesn't blast off! I ran it through the t500 as I wanted to compare it to TPW only one run each and they certainly are different and that slight wheaty taste is there it did not settle easy I put glycerine in it and screen filtered out of the fermentor that helped but there was a slight slug at the bottom of the wash May and may not have affected taste it finished @920 fg started@1050fg
I collected 4 ltrs @93% from two runs 50ltrs in total it is no slouch more testing to do and another fermentor going now will try on oak :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Boardy62

equipment: FSD Neutraliser, two 2400w elements, gin caddy,100 ltr boiler
T500 reflux still and boiler,
pure distilling pot still head
power controller
Parrot and racking cane

Postby Bundaboy » Wed Mar 30, 2016 5:42 pm

I should report that my heavily modified version of this recipe:

wheat bran - substituted Woolies Crunchy High Fibre Bran (64% wheat bran)

multivitamin tablet - I knew I was in trouble when I saw "crushed MV tab" - I have never seen a crushable MV tablet, I don't use MVs these days but years ago they were all capsules, and that's all I could find so I snipped off one end and squeezed the contents into the mix - this stuff doesn't seem to dissolve very well. I used 2 as there was some loss of content in the process.

DAP - I could only get wine nutrient from my LHBS - it contains DAP along with magnesium sulphate, magnesium sulphate, trace vitamins and minerals (probably meaning the MVT was unnecessary). There is no indication of the percentage of each component so I upped the dosage to 2 tsp.

Ended up quite well, I racked it off and then left it for 2 weeks (not intentionally - life got in the way). It pretty much didn't clear at all so I ran it through my airstill. As I was in desperate need of some whisky I just added some Irish Whisky essence to a litre of it (i.e. didn't age on oak as is my normal process) and it turned out very nice as is. I got about 3-1/2 litres out of it with heavy cuts.
Bundaboy

Postby Bundaboy » Thu Mar 31, 2016 9:21 pm

Just found a source for the bran at my local Co-Op - 20 kgs for ~ $14 - not bad.

They feed this stuff to the cows and we drink milk and eat steaks right?... right?
Bundaboy

Postby warramungas » Fri Apr 01, 2016 3:58 pm

Bundaboy wrote:DAP - I could only get wine nutrient from my LHBS - it contains DAP along with magnesium sulphate, magnesium sulphate, trace vitamins and minerals (probably meaning the MVT was unnecessary). There is no indication of the percentage of each component so I upped the dosage to 2 tsp.

When I used to do 100 liter turbos I used to mix 30 kg of sugar and used one pack of turbo with about a good cupful of molasses (to save money on the turbos). They used to ferment right out. Ever thought of using a tablespoon of molasses instead of DAP. I never found any rum flavour carry over in my wash and molasses has nearly all the goodies yeast needs? A liter at a few bucks will last a very long time.
warramungas

equipment: 180 litre fermenter x 2
30 liter boiler
PDA-1
2" four plate modular bubbler
2" one meter long LM column
110 liter boiler with 25 liter (max) inline thumper
4" x 4 plate bubble cap still

Postby WTDist » Fri Apr 01, 2016 4:14 pm

Bundaboy wrote:Just found a source for the bran at my local Co-Op - 20 kgs for ~ $14 - not bad.

They feed this stuff to the cows and we drink milk and eat steaks right?... right?

Thats pretty good. i wonder how it would go if you mashed at 65 degrees (or whatever the conversion rate is) 3 kg of this stuff with 500gm barley. might make a good whisky? and cheap?
WTDist

equipment: Building a 4" bubbler with 8" glass thumper

Postby Bundaboy » Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:44 pm

warramungas wrote:
Bundaboy wrote:DAP - I could only get wine nutrient from my LHBS - it contains DAP along with magnesium sulphate, magnesium sulphate, trace vitamins and minerals (probably meaning the MVT was unnecessary). There is no indication of the percentage of each component so I upped the dosage to 2 tsp.

When I used to do 100 liter turbos I used to mix 30 kg of sugar and used one pack of turbo with about a good cupful of molasses (to save money on the turbos). They used to ferment right out. Ever thought of using a tablespoon of molasses instead of DAP. I never found any rum flavour carry over in my wash and molasses has nearly all the goodies yeast needs? A liter at a few bucks will last a very long time.

No I had not considered using molasses a) because I have never really known what molasses was (treacle apparently), and b) my knowledge of what a "nutrient" is is still very sketchy I really need to do more research - it's one thing following recipes but it's another, and obviously much more useful, to know why they work (if possible).

I bit the bullet and bought some DAP online, the shipping was more expensive than the product but what are you going to do? None-the-less I am a big fan of trying alternatives etc. so I will definitely be giving that a go, if that works as well as DAP then I can source everything locally (I use that term loosely because down here at Bundanoon *nothing* is really local ha ha).

Question one, I was reading up on molasses and discovered brown sugar is covered in molasses - so should we be using, say, a kilogram of brown sugar in our recipes?

Question two, you wrote "to save money on turbos" - how does that work exactly? I assume that means by adding extra nutrient the amount of yeast will increase to ferment the extra volume.

Question three, you wrote "ferment right out" - I assume that means that all available sugar was consumed - I ask that particularly as my initial results do tend to be too sweet.
Bundaboy

Postby Bundaboy » Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:45 pm

WTDist wrote:Thats pretty good. i wonder how it would go if you mashed at 65 degrees (or whatever the conversion rate is) 3 kg of this stuff with 500gm barley. might make a good whisky? and cheap?

Well, I suppose there is only one way to find out. :-)
Bundaboy

Postby warramungas » Fri Apr 01, 2016 9:23 pm

Bundaboy wrote:
warramungas wrote:

Question one, I was reading up on molasses and discovered brown sugar is covered in molasses - so should we be using, say, a kilogram of brown sugar in our recipes?

Question two, you wrote "to save money on turbos" - how does that work exactly? I assume that means by adding extra nutrient the amount of yeast will increase to ferment the extra volume.

Question three, you wrote "ferment right out" - I assume that means that all available sugar was consumed - I ask that particularly as my initial results do tend to be too sweet.

1.no idea. Don't see why it shouldn't work but it probably more highly processed. You might move into the realm of a rum flavour if you don't know how much molasses is in there.

2. A lot of people,or should I say some, 'stack' their yeast so they will use 1 pack in 25 liters and 4 packs in 100 liters so they get sufficient nutrients to ferment out the sugars. With turbos being $10 and up they cost more than the sugar to do that. The molasses supplies the extra nutrients the yeast need to finish the ferment.

3 Ferment out means finish all the sugar off and read below 1.000 on the hydrometer. From memory mine usually read .990 to .980. I was happy anywhere below 1 though. If its above 1 on a clean sugar wash it means some sugar is still remaining for whatever reason.
warramungas

equipment: 180 litre fermenter x 2
30 liter boiler
PDA-1
2" four plate modular bubbler
2" one meter long LM column
110 liter boiler with 25 liter (max) inline thumper
4" x 4 plate bubble cap still

Postby Woodsy71 » Fri Apr 01, 2016 9:28 pm

warramungas wrote:

Hey Warra,

Is there anything you do that doesn't involve molasses? :teasing-neener:
Woodsy71

equipment: CM and a Pot

Postby Bundaboy » Tue Jun 21, 2016 3:30 pm

I have now done 8 ferments on this recipe.

I do highly recommend this recipe for doing essence whiskies over TPW as the resultant flavour/sweetness seems to suit whiskies more than the TPW IMHO.

As for it being a turbo alternative I am less convinced. The last 6 ferments have been as close to the recipe as I can possibly get, I even use stock feed bran weevils and all, but a) There is no "taking off like a rocket, and b) it ferments at about the same rate as TPW, possibly even a little slower although that may be due to cooler weather.

I just wonder if anyone else has been able to replicate the turbo bit?

It's not that I am particularly after a fast ferment (although in winter that would probably save some energy bill money), but it would be good to know if I am doing anything wrong.

Just as a sanity check, 1/2 teaspoon of DAP has always seemed a very small amount to me, can that be verified?

Cheers.

For others doing this recipe for the first time, if you go the stock feed route I would recommend buying it in the smaller quantities (not the 20kg I bought) as I think the weevils will get most of it over time. Getting smaller quantities will enable you to freeze or microwave it to kill the weevil eggs (which WILL be in there).
Bundaboy

Postby WTDist » Tue Jun 21, 2016 5:12 pm

20kg wheat bran?
how cheap is it?

and i wonder what sugar conversion you can get with it for whisky? if its cheap and you dont want to waste it bring to around 65*C i think it is and add a packet of enzymes and let sit to convert. I did a all weetbix wash with 45% backset from same wash and at first it was different :? and then it came good after 2 months. not surte how long 6 would have done but AG would beat it hands down
WTDist

Postby Sam. » Tue Jun 21, 2016 5:16 pm

WTDist wrote:20kg wheat bran?
how cheap is it?

and i wonder what sugar conversion you can get with it for whisky? if its cheap and you dont want to waste it bring to around 65*C i think it is and add a packet of enzymes and let sit to convert. I did a all weetbix wash with 45% backset from same wash and at first it was different :? and then it came good after 2 months. not surte how long 6 would have done but AG would beat it hands down

Might want to read the original recipe :whistle:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby WTDist » Tue Jun 21, 2016 5:23 pm

$6.5 for 5kg in NZ but is OZ different?
WTDist

Postby Sam. » Tue Jun 21, 2016 5:24 pm

I was getting at the fact that it call for 250g of the bran in the recipe and 4kg of sugar.
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby WTDist » Tue Jun 21, 2016 5:27 pm

lol yea, i was also thinking if bundaboy bought 20kg and used 2kg and the rest was getting eaten by weavels he could have tried a whisky from it perhaps. Even though i have no expirence in AG i dont see how it could hurt, or even a sugar head one, up the amount to a few kgs per 25l wash.
WTDist

Postby Bundaboy » Tue Jun 21, 2016 5:35 pm

WTDist wrote:20kg wheat bran?
how cheap is it?

$14 a 25kg bag (and no extra for the protein)

WTDist wrote:and i wonder what sugar conversion you can get with it for whisky? if its cheap and you dont want to waste it bring to around 65*C i think it is and add a packet of enzymes and let sit to convert. I did a all weetbix wash with 45% backset from same wash and at first it was different :? and then it came good after 2 months. not surte how long 6 would have done but AG would beat it hands down

You can't do that with bran can you? Bran is just husk isn't it?
Bundaboy

PreviousNext

Return to Recipe Development