tequila or mescal

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Re: tequila or mescal

Postby Wobblyboot » Sun Aug 14, 2016 7:30 pm

The best site Iv found about agave so far http://www.ianchadwick.com/tequila/cooking.htm
Wobblyboot

equipment: 4" glass bubbler

Postby Wobblyboot » Fri Oct 07, 2016 8:20 pm

I can't dig holes in ground here but I do have 4ring burner, few spare kegs, a 44gal smoker. :-B
Am more thinking a keg hangi but could be too small. Maybe a keg hangi made outa 3 kegs to make more then use a press? It's time to try this....
Wobblyboot

Postby bayshine » Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:48 pm

Wobblyboot wrote:I can't dig holes in ground here but I do have 4ring burner, few spare kegs, a 44gal smoker. :-B
Am more thinking a keg hangi but could be too small. Maybe a keg hangi made outa 3 kegs to make more then use a press? It's time to try this....

Good stuff wobbly :handgestures-thumbupleft:
If you can only do small batches maybe cook one and chuck it in the freezer until you've got enough for a ferment :think:
Also try and get some smoke going through your agave as it adds a wonderful flavour :handgestures-thumbupleft:
I'm down to my last 2lt @40abv as all my friends love it,so will be doing some more soon :dance:
bayshine

equipment: FSD 6 inch 5 plater block head On a FSD 100lt pro boiler
3” copper reducer bokka on a keg boiler

Postby warramungas » Sat Oct 08, 2016 11:12 am

What about something like these beauties. Saw one on a cooking show from Yankee land with a mehican cooking some goat in it. Cant remember what show it was. Would be perfect for what you guys are doing.
C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_imagesLK4VQPUE.jpg
C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_imagesLK4VQPUE.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
warramungas

equipment: 180 litre fermenter x 2
30 liter boiler
PDA-1
2" four plate modular bubbler
2" one meter long LM column
110 liter boiler with 25 liter (max) inline thumper
4" x 4 plate bubble cap still

Postby EziTasting » Sat Oct 08, 2016 4:38 pm

Could almost remove the bladder from an IBC and burry that! Steel lid and away you go...
How did they get the fire in here?
EziTasting

equipment: Newbie - Keg Boiler & 4" 4 plate glasser

Postby bayshine » Sat Oct 08, 2016 4:40 pm

That looks mint warra,when you gunna have a go :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bayshine

Postby warramungas » Sun Oct 09, 2016 10:12 am

I haven't had time to finish up my boiler and thumper combo yet let alone having a go at cooking a cactus.
One day maybe but not high on my priority list at th moment. Thought it might be worth it fir you guys with the time and love of tequila.
warramungas

30 liter boiler
PDA-1

Postby warramungas » Sun Oct 09, 2016 11:00 am

EziTasting wrote:Could almost remove the bladder from an IBC and burry that! Steel lid and away you go...
How did they get the fire in here?

They built a big stack of cedar and set it alight. Any hard wood from aussie should do. So that they got a nice thick bed of coals. Then they put in a flat metal grate with short legs made from what looked like Reo bar put on top of the coals to keep the cooking gear off them.
Once the food was in they covered it with a couple of iron sheets, burlap sacks for the gaps and then buried it to keep the heat in.
The goat fell off the bone after all day cooking.
warramungas

30 liter boiler
PDA-1

Postby Zzpop » Sun Oct 09, 2016 1:42 pm

For you guys doing tequila I saw this at Coles today thought it may be useful very expensive $4.70 for 250 grams made by csr
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Zzpop

equipment: Boka and pot
4" 4 perf plate column +50lt boiler

Postby Wobblyboot » Sat Dec 10, 2016 7:29 pm

Iv found a couple of big Americana agave "marginata" that I'm allowed to take along with a blue grey 1! Iv been looking and haven't seen anything about making mezcal outa the marginata, any thoughts on it?
Wobblyboot

Postby bayshine » Sun Dec 11, 2016 4:19 am

I don't really know but the marginata seems to be also called the century plant and Iv read on the net that someone was making mezcal from one of these(in Mexico) so I would give it a crack if I was you :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bayshine

Postby TasSpirits » Sun Dec 11, 2016 6:31 am

The Mrs bought back a book on Tequila from Mexico, just checked it and the Century is mentioned in Mezcal production. :handgestures-thumbupleft: There is a surprising amount of Americana down here in Tassie :think:
TasSpirits

equipment: Some FSD Gear as well as some home-made

Postby bayshine » Sun Dec 11, 2016 9:42 am

Give it a go fella's :dance: even if you only get a small amount of cooked agave into a sugar wash I can guarantee that the agave will take over and will make a fantastic drop :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bayshine

Postby Wobblyboot » Sun Dec 11, 2016 5:43 pm

warramungas wrote:What about something like these beauties. Saw one on a cooking show from Yankee land with a mehican cooking some goat in it. Cant remember what show it was. Would be perfect for what you guys are doing.

Am looking at making 1 of these at a mates place, he likes tequila too.
It will need to be multi purpose tho, spit, smoker, BBQ pit. What are the ibc frames made out of? I'd prefer ss or steel or could I christen it with fire and burn the crap off it?

TasSpirits wrote:The Mrs bought back a book on Tequila from Mexico, just checked it and the Century is mentioned in Mezcal production. :handgestures-thumbupleft: There is a surprising amount of Americana down here in Tassie :think:

I think century plant is just a generic name that lumps all the big Americana agaves in together :-B
Weber is the only Americana agave that can be used for tequila, everything else is mezcal but haven't seen any "marginata" in any of my research of mezcal :think:
Wobblyboot

Postby warramungas » Sun Dec 11, 2016 7:26 pm

This may be a bit from left field but couldn't we just Sous vide the pins rather than oven roast it. Easier less f'n around too.
Get a 200 liter barrel, seal the pieces in some heavy plastic bags and chuck em in with a weight to hold it all under the water. Fill barrel and put an immersion element set at between 65 and 95 degree for 4 or 5 days. Done?
Attachment shows temps they are normally roasted at.
wp_ss_20161211_0001.png
warramungas

30 liter boiler
PDA-1

Postby DaveZ » Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:10 pm

We have just bought a place with a couple of agave plants, but they have flowered and are almost spent. Is it worth digging them up and roasting them for a sugar head do you think or should I just find a healthy one dig up?

Cheers,
Dave.

DaveZ

equipment: 5 plate FSD bubbler with gin basket and packed rock section on a 50L, 4800W keg

Postby warramungas » Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:04 pm

Pretty sure that's not an agave plant mate. Cant remember what its called but I think it starts with c. Cordyline maybe?
Look through the thread. There are a few pictures of agave in here.

Ooh ooh. Maybe a yucca!
warramungas

30 liter boiler
PDA-1

Postby DaveZ » Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:37 pm

Will have to quiz the Mrs, she's the green thumb and reckoned it was an agave. Better get my google on.
DaveZ

equipment: 5 plate FSD bubbler with gin basket and packed rock section on a 50L, 4800W keg

Postby Wobblyboot » Sat Jan 07, 2017 7:20 pm

Is that sisal? Still an agave but not right kind :think:
Wobblyboot

Postby DaveZ » Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:06 pm

Yeah pretty sure it's an agave from the reading I've been doing this afternoon, but maybe it's a bit far gone to correctly identify it. Apparently most agaves, including the sisal, can be used for mescal but I'll hold off and find one in better nick I reckon.

Cheers,
Dave.
DaveZ

PreviousNext

Return to Recipe Development