tequila or mescal

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Re: tequila or mescal

Postby Sam. » Thu May 19, 2016 8:28 am

rumdidlydum wrote:You're having a hungi :teasing-tease: :laughing-rolling:

:text-coolphotos:

Exactly my thoughts as well.

Hope you are rewarded for the effort mate :pray:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby tipsy » Thu May 19, 2016 11:33 am

Sam. wrote:

Exactly my thoughts as well.

Hope you are rewarded for the effort mate :pray:

Where's the lamb?
tipsy

equipment: 4" Mac 4 with packed section and gin basket on a 50lt boiler with 2 2400w FSD elements.

Postby bayshine » Thu May 19, 2016 1:18 pm

I thought about food in there but didn't want to mix in to many flavours 8-}
I dug a small hole to feel the top tray and my suspicions were correct....cold as a magot :handgestures-thumbdown:
Should've known as half the agave was only partially defrosted when it went in. So dug her all up and got a raging fire going in the hole with the help of a garden blower and more rocks and some bricks as well :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Wish we had some volcanic rocks here in Wa ,cause when I'd dug up the first lot all the limestone had shattered, probably when it cooled down :think: ,not helping to keep the thermal mass also.
Anyway there was heaps of steam coming out when the sand went on,so this time it should be a success :handgestures-thumbupleft:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bayshine

equipment: FSD 6 inch 5 plater block head On a FSD 100lt pro boiler
3” copper reducer bokka on a keg boiler

Postby bluc » Thu May 19, 2016 2:12 pm

Tequilla hungi :handgestures-thumbupleft: 8-} . Great Idea I have a reli with two agaves flowering not sure if I should ask if I can have them once the flower dies, Not sure they would approve..
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby EziTasting » Thu May 19, 2016 5:02 pm

bluc wrote:Tequilla hungi :handgestures-thumbupleft: 8-} . Great Idea I have a reli with two agaves flowering not sure if I should ask if I can have them once the flower dies, Not sure they would approve..

If you don't ask, the answer is 'No'!
EziTasting

equipment: Newbie - Keg Boiler & 4" 4 plate glasser

Postby wynnum1 » Thu May 19, 2016 7:53 pm

EziTasting wrote:
bluc wrote:Tequilla hungi :handgestures-thumbupleft: 8-} . Great Idea I have a reli with two agaves flowering not sure if I should ask if I can have them once the flower dies, Not sure they would approve..

If you don't ask, the answer is 'No'!

Regarded as an environmental weed.
wynnum1

Postby scythe » Fri May 20, 2016 12:22 pm

You need to get them before they flower.
scythe

equipment: Dreaming of a 4" bubbler

Postby bluc » Fri May 20, 2016 3:47 pm

oh, how do you tell when they are ready if you get them before the flower?
bluc
Site Donor

Postby bayshine » Fri May 20, 2016 7:03 pm

I believe when they get to a certain size they cut out the center spike so the pina grows a lot larger and increases the starch content :handgestures-thumbupleft:
I'm not to worried as I can't see me getting just to much juice out of it, but will throw heaps of pulp in the fermenter with some sugar and dap and see how she goes :smile:
bayshine

Postby bayshine » Sat May 21, 2016 9:02 pm

Well...after 3 days,relighting the ground oven daily,I decided to cut it all up ...but it still wasn't cooked enough :angry-banghead:
So I chopped all up finer and set up me bop as a steamer :handgestures-thumbupleft:
8 hours later she was definitely done as it was much mushier and sweeter but still had a roasted flavour so all good.
Mucked around a bit with the mulcher but was very slow so grabbed the matic handle and just mashed it up in a bucket which wasn't as bad as it sounds
Now even when well mashed you still had to ring out juices and without a press I got sick of this pretty fast ...so stuff I just threw it all in a couple of 60lt fermenters.
Took an Sg from the liquid and 1035 so chuck some sugar up to 1065 and some saf malt whiskey yeast an well see how she goes :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Overall an enjoyable experience so far and was fun to eat cooked cactus, a bit like sweet potato crossed with some kind of fruit :happy-partydance:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bayshine

Postby EziTasting » Sat May 21, 2016 10:50 pm

Very good write up, enjoying it! Can't believe that I actually found one of these plants where I live :scared-eek: !

Can't believe it! Don't know if I should be happy or worried about getting another process started...?!
EziTasting

Postby maddogpearse » Sun May 22, 2016 7:47 am

Hey dudes, is this what I'm after?
maddogpearse

equipment: 4 plate single cap primus glass bubbler. Optional 600mm packed section. Block head with 3" Shotgun PC
50L Keg with 5000W electric elements.

Postby bayshine » Sun May 22, 2016 8:52 am

maddogpearse wrote:Hey dudes, is this what I'm after?

Yep.. I would say it's Americana :think:
bayshine

Postby wynnum1 » Sun May 22, 2016 9:22 am

bayshine wrote:I thought about food in there but didn't want to mix in to many flavours 8-}
I dug a small hole to feel the top tray and my suspicions were correct....cold as a magot :handgestures-thumbdown:
Should've known as half the agave was only partially defrosted when it went in. So dug her all up and got a raging fire going in the hole with the help of a garden blower and more rocks and some bricks as well :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Wish we had some volcanic rocks here in Wa ,cause when I'd dug up the first lot all the limestone had shattered, probably when it cooled down :think: ,not helping to keep the thermal mass also.
Anyway there was heaps of steam coming out when the sand went on,so this time it should be a success :handgestures-thumbupleft:

How about using heavy scrap steel.
wynnum1

Postby maddogpearse » Sun May 22, 2016 10:04 am

bayshine wrote:
maddogpearse wrote:Hey dudes, is this what I'm after?

Yep.. I would say it's Americana :think:

So Americana agave would give me a type of mezcal, where as blue agave would give me tequila correct?
maddogpearse

equipment: 4 plate single cap primus glass bubbler. Optional 600mm packed section. Block head with 3" Shotgun PC

Postby EziTasting » Sun May 22, 2016 10:18 am

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the 'process' more-so determine the end product... Than the plant!?!?
EziTasting

Postby maddogpearse » Sun May 22, 2016 10:36 am

EziTasting wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the 'process' more-so determine the end product... Than the plant!?!?

Straight out of wiki...
Mezcal (or mescal) (i/mɛsˈkæl/) is a distilled alcoholic beverage made from any type of agave plant native to Mexico. The word mezcal comes from Nahuatl mexcalli [meʃˈkalːi] metl [met͡ɬ] and ixcalli [iʃˈkalːi] which means "oven-cooked agave".[1]

mezcal is not as popular as tequila (made specifically from the blue agave in select regions of the country),
maddogpearse

Postby bayshine » Sun May 22, 2016 10:54 am

The bottle of Don Juan Escobar that was consumed during my mezcal adventure tasted far smoother than the cheep face twisting tequilas that I can remember, so I think any of the agaves that are safe to use will make a fine tipple :handgestures-thumbupleft:
The ferment started of well last night but has slowed right down this morning so I I've checked ph, 5.5 ,so that's spot on :think: but when I stuck my arm in it to give it a good stir I still got a slight itchiness from the wash :handgestures-thumbdown:
This makes me think the agave still wasn't cooked enough and will probably kill the yeast.
I've repitched some more saf malt this morning and failing this I'll try some bakers and more dap and hope for the best :pray:
bayshine

Postby bayshine » Sun May 22, 2016 1:55 pm

She's going great guns now....just needed to warm up a bit.....got down to 25'c so warmed her up to 29'c and she going off :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bayshine

Postby bluc » Sun May 22, 2016 6:15 pm

Do you think the itchy Ness is bad or just a personall allergy you have. Your red raw skin from the sap I get the same if I pick mangos, the sap that does it, but have no I'll effects from eating the fruit.. just a thought.
bluc
Site Donor

PreviousNext

Return to Recipe Development