tequila or mescal

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Re: tequila or mescal

Postby Zak Griffin » Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:01 am

Bayshine, If you do up a step by step in one post I reckon the boys in babyshit green could probably put it straight in T&P, that way it won't get lost if the conversation stops here ;-)
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

Postby Wobblyboot » Sun Jun 26, 2016 2:58 pm

scythe wrote:Prety sure that info was already provided in a link posted in this very thread.

I knew I'd seen it before, couldn't remember where :teasing-tease: and I posted it too 8-} 8-} :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
Wobblyboot

equipment: 4" glass bubbler

Postby Wobblyboot » Sun Jun 26, 2016 3:01 pm

Zak Griffin wrote:Bayshine, If you do up a step by step in one post I reckon the boys in babyshit green could probably put it straight in T&P, that way it won't get lost if the conversation stops here ;-)

:text-+1:
Wobblyboot

Postby Wobblyboot » Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:57 am

http://tequilaconnection.com/MfrgTequila2.htm
This 1 goes into bit more detail
Wobblyboot

Postby bayshine » Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:44 pm

I'll write up a step by step when I do my next one as I'll change a few things from my lessons learned :laughing-rolling:
But basically it was about 50kgs of agave before it was cooked,14 kgs of sugar and made up to about 125 lts wash :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bayshine

equipment: FSD 6 inch 5 plater block head On a FSD 100lt pro boiler
3” copper reducer bokka on a keg boiler

Postby Wobblyboot » Wed Aug 10, 2016 7:23 pm

U doing another try soon? :think:
Wobblyboot

Postby bayshine » Thu Aug 11, 2016 2:37 am

Are ya keen to give to give us hand wobbly :laughing-rolling:
bayshine

Postby Wobblyboot » Thu Aug 11, 2016 4:38 pm

I know where plenty are over here, yah could help me instead, only a few days drive away :teasing-neener:
Wobblyboot

Postby bayshine » Thu Aug 11, 2016 5:08 pm

Give it a go mate,it's easier than you think :handgestures-thumbupleft: I don't think you can stuff it up as the agave takes over as said in the original kiwi keg post ,you just gotta cook it good.
The stuff I've got on oak is starting to turn out very special :D
bayshine

Postby Wobblyboot » Thu Aug 11, 2016 5:31 pm

i gotta move next w'end but as soon as I do, will b harvesting those agave and roasting them :handgestures-thumbupleft: but 50kg a lot to cook in 1 go, am thinking an offset roasting type of drum could be easier to do bigger amounts :think: is easy to get drums and the liquid if any would be easier to drain while cooking. How would u recommend (grinding or crushing) them up to get juices outa them?
Wobblyboot

Postby bayshine » Thu Aug 11, 2016 7:10 pm

Mate that's the hard bit I spose, just bash it like I did in this thread and chuck it all into a big fermenter with some sugar and bakers yeast and keep it at about 35deg C. When ferment finishes strain out the solids and squeeze out the juices(I have a press now) an bang it into ya still and you will have some mezcal :music-deathmetal:
I would think a 20kg agave pina would be heaps for a 60lt plus sugar head wash :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bayshine

Postby Wobblyboot » Thu Aug 11, 2016 7:32 pm

I do love tequila and will have all fermenters empty so am thinking the 220l is way to go. I have a dewalt mixing drill I use for work, have cut the top off a keg to cook in, am thinking I can use them to smash it up, get the inital juices then rinse the pulp and put extra few kilo of pulp in for flavour :think: gunna use the ec1118 or americanwhiskey yeast, not sure which yet :-B
Wobblyboot

Postby Sam. » Thu Aug 11, 2016 8:08 pm

Since this thread I have been noticing more and more of these plants along my travels,don't even like tequila as a drink but am damn tempted ~x(
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby bayshine » Thu Aug 11, 2016 8:12 pm

I used American whiskey yeast and it just kept stalling so i just put bakers on top and it finished dry :handgestures-thumbupleft:
The pulp is very fibrous and does not want to let go of the juices, the Mexicans use a huge stone wheel of great weight to crush it out and I found it was easier after it was fermented and having all the pulp in the fermenter probably added to its strong agave flavour. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Also I cooked mine in a ground oven for 3days and then steamed for about 10 hours or thereabouts and the steaming really softened up the fibres and got heaps of juice out. I think you would have to chop it up very small for a drill to have much impact :think:
bayshine

Postby Wobblyboot » Thu Aug 11, 2016 8:14 pm

Sam. wrote:Since this thread I have been noticing more and more of these plants along my travels,don't even like tequila as a drink but am damn tempted ~x(

Looks like u gunna have to try it as well :teasing-neener: I drove to se qld other week and saw shitload thru nsw, wanted to winch the lot out and bring them home :laughing-rolling: but need to work out way to cook them and then crush or grind them :think:

http://www.ianchadwick.com/tequila/cooking.htm
Last edited by Wobblyboot on Thu Aug 11, 2016 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wobblyboot

Postby bayshine » Thu Aug 11, 2016 8:20 pm

Sam. wrote:Since this thread I have been noticing more and more of these plants along my travels,don't even like tequila as a drink but am damn tempted ~x(

Have you tried Don Juan Escobar mezcal sam? Its very smooth compaired to tequiler and doesn't require the lemon and salt to take the twist out of ya face :))
bayshine

Postby Sam. » Thu Aug 11, 2016 8:22 pm

bayshine wrote:

Have you tried Don Juan Escobar mezcal sam? Its very smooth compaired to tequiler and doesn't require the lemon and salt to take the twist out of ya face :))

Nah I haven't mate, I do need to try an actual decent product, the closest I have been is a mexican looking dude in malaysia selling shots from his belt with a very convincing hat :laughing-rolling:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby TasSpirits » Thu Aug 11, 2016 8:28 pm

My wife recently went to Mexico and bought me back 2 bottles of the good gear that they drink over there, 1 Mezcal, 1 Tequila. Tequila was shit, the Mezcal is much better, El Senor from memory :handgestures-thumbupleft:
TasSpirits

equipment: Some FSD Gear as well as some home-made

Postby EziTasting » Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:25 am

Part of me wants to have a go, but I am somewhat time poor so when I get time off I tend to chill, ferment, still and do the jobs assigned me by SWMBO! This looks like a massive time investment and, altho doesn't seem to be difficult, is a little scary. Bay shine, my hat off to you for doing this, hope I get to do it one day ...

one of the better vids I've seen on the subject
EziTasting

equipment: Newbie - Keg Boiler & 4" 4 plate glasser

Postby EziTasting » Sat Aug 13, 2016 2:54 pm

Working today,we drove past this tiny patch (~2x4m):
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Not sure why one is up-side-down - Ah, we're down under!! :laughing-rolling:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
EziTasting

equipment: Newbie - Keg Boiler & 4" 4 plate glasser

PreviousNext

Return to Recipe Development