T500 Gin

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Re: T500 Gin

Postby Westshine » Fri May 03, 2019 10:21 pm

Fat Albert wrote:
Rolls912 wrote:Arismac, you can have mine if you haven’t already bought it.

And why is that? Decided you don't like gin or did you find a deficiency with the basket?
I bought one and am now trying to figure out how to adapt it to the bottom of my HomeMade 2 inch
copper reflux.
Does anyone know the size and thread of the screw in part of the basket? I suspect it's metric.

fat A.

FA, I went down this road with a T500 a while back. I used a cappuccino shaker as a infusion basket, wired it up under the column and it was crap. Ended up with heaps of puking because the T500 has no temperature control on the element.
So I ended up disconnecting the reflux tube, and just running the condenser with water cooling. Removing all the saddles from the column and I used a $20 watt controller from eBay to control the element, hey presto it turned out to be a reasonably well functioning pot still.

I crushed and loaded my botanics into a muslin cloth, twisted some stainless wire around it and dropped it into the pot. Let it steep for 24hrs and run it as a pot still using element temp to control the output, London dry style.

I think it was the best Gin I've ever made/tasted, I'm now running a 100ltr 4" system but believe the gin was better from the little T500 I had.

I made a lot of gin on the T500, a lot of bourbon, a lot of rum and a lot of TPW that made many other things. I know the T500 is not considered a desirable still but it can be pushed to do a lot of things, slowly.
Westshine

equipment: 4" x 4 plates, 4" Pot / Whiskey dome - 100ltr boiler

Previous

Return to Recipe Development