Calvados in plated column

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Postby devotus » Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:00 am

I have been reading a little on Calvados lately and saw a little about still types for its production. The argument for the use of an Alembic against a fractional still seems pretty valid but I was wondering if these smaller plated columns that some of you have or are in process of building could over come the disadvantage of flavour stripping.

They say that an alembic is better as it produces a more complex flavour although they do promote double distilling through the alembic. So I thought these bubbler columns could be used to achieve a high quality Calvados just as good as a double distilled alembic product. As I understand it the bubblers are good at maintaining and in some respects enhancing flavours.

Any thoughts?

Anyone with a bubbler feel like doing an experimental run?
devotus

equipment: copper alembic pot still
+
1.5 inch VM column

Postby BackyardBrewer » Sat May 04, 2013 11:02 pm

Welp...this was a hot topic of discussion between blond.chap & I this morning as we bottled our cider. How much difference is there between washes and columns and ageing and what makes a spirit "good".

One of us will be the first to be running an apple march wash in the next few weeks so I'm sure we'll post here when we do... The race is on.
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

equipment: Solid Copper Love Machine (Plated column bubbler), hand made with love by a forum member
50L keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements
PURE distilling Reflux still + a tonne of homebrew gear amassed over 10 years of brewing.

Re: Calvados in plated column

Postby emptyglass » Sat May 04, 2013 11:43 pm

I know crow made some recently. I know crow has a bubble cap column. Not sure if he did the two together.

A bubbler is made for brandy, its gotta be good, knowing knothing about apples and all...
emptyglass

Re: Calvados in plated column

Postby crow » Sun May 05, 2013 12:37 am

No man I don't have access to plates here dude just pot stills here :handgestures-thumbupleft:
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Return to Recipe Development