BIAB Single Malt Whisky

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

BIAB Single Malt Whisky

Postby TasSpirits » Sun Apr 10, 2016 2:45 pm

Just wondering if anyone is interested in trying to get a simple AG Whisky recipe into the tried and proven? Ive been playing with BIAB until I get my mash tun built. Results so far have been very promising, cost between $8 - $11 per bottle. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
TasSpirits

equipment: Some FSD Gear as well as some home-made

Re: BIAB Single Malt Whisky

Postby jacobraven » Sun Apr 10, 2016 2:47 pm

As in you have a recipe youd like other to try.? If so id give it a go once my order is in
jacobraven

equipment: 100 Litre Milk Can
Neutralizer
2 2400w

Postby TasSpirits » Sun Apr 10, 2016 3:01 pm

jacobraven wrote:As in you have a recipe youd like other to try.? If so id give it a go once my order is in

I have a couple, we would need to discuss what a group of us could all get easily to start with I think :-B I have a few recipes I think are ok. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
TasSpirits

Postby Taz » Sun Apr 10, 2016 3:17 pm

:text-+1: Keen to see this thread take of it may even tip me over the edge of trying my first all grain :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Taz

equipment: 2" fsd modular pot
50l keg single 2400w element

Postby TasSpirits » Sun Apr 10, 2016 3:21 pm

Taz wrote::text-+1: Keen to see this thread take of it may even tip me over the edge of trying my first all grain :handgestures-thumbupleft:

I started with a pot, makes a sweet Whisky with tight cuts, a power controller makes it a bit easier :handgestures-thumbupleft:
TasSpirits

Postby bluc » Sun Apr 10, 2016 3:39 pm

For sure always looking for new recipes especially a whiskey for $11 :D
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby TasSpirits » Sun Apr 10, 2016 3:59 pm

Peated or unpeated? is the first question
TasSpirits

Postby Taz » Sun Apr 10, 2016 4:34 pm

TasSpirits wrote:
Taz wrote::text-+1: Keen to see this thread take of it may even tip me over the edge of trying my first all grain :handgestures-thumbupleft:

I started with a pot, makes a sweet Whisky with tight cuts, a power controller makes it a bit easier :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Yeah power controllers in plans makes great stripper uncontrolled I heat up on electric and change to gas when doin spirit runs till controller finally comes together

I'm thinking unpeated :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Taz

equipment: 2" fsd modular pot
50l keg single 2400w element

Postby bluc » Sun Apr 10, 2016 7:37 pm

I think un peated with the option peated. On the other hand is peated malt available to buy? Building a smoker is a bit full on to "try" a recipe..
bluc
Site Donor

Postby bluc » Sun Apr 10, 2016 7:40 pm

I see craftbrewer has peated malts available so they are ready available than I wouldn't mind either way..
bluc
Site Donor

Postby Dig Brinker » Mon Apr 11, 2016 12:36 am

bluc wrote:I think un peated with the option peated. On the other hand is peated malt available to buy? Building a smoker is a bit full on to "try" a recipe..

Seen the "make your own peat reek" article on here? Just need a tin & a fire. Simples. In saying that though, I'd like to experiment with an "Aussie" single malt. Try to get an agreeable yet uniquely Australian flavour into it, whether that be via the aging wood, a native grain or drying/smoking grain with an unmistakable Aussie wood. I have a couple of things in mind but have to make sure I won't be imparting any poisons into anything for consumption. And we all know that everything in Australia is just itching to kill ya :))
Dig Brinker

equipment: 4 inch 4 plate bubbler on keg boiler

Postby scythe » Mon Apr 11, 2016 6:35 am

Stay clear of eucalyptus then.
Bundy filter or age with Red gum, not sure how much flavour carries over tho, i could not tell, but then ive never had the original recipe bundy.
scythe

equipment: Dreaming of a 4" bubbler

Postby moonshinindawg » Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:41 am

Hoppydays can get medium peated he has a bag sitting there.
Ive been very keen to try AG wiskey but grain is to spenno and my beer is too good. Im hanging out for a good groupbuy on AHB for some bags
Gotta get that sweet sweet $1.50/kg Barrett Burston ale malt
moonshinindawg

equipment: Offset Valved Reflux

Postby TasSpirits » Mon Apr 11, 2016 4:42 pm

Hi Guys, I use Simpsons Peated Malt quite a bit, its a bit expensive $80 for 25kg last bag I bought. I am thinking something like a Joe White Pilsner Malt, should be relatively easy to get hold of and its not to expensive. Any thought on this would be appreciated :handgestures-thumbupleft:
TasSpirits

Postby bluc » Mon Apr 11, 2016 5:36 pm

Dig Brinker wrote:
bluc wrote:I think un peated with the option peated. On the other hand is peated malt available to buy? Building a smoker is a bit full on to "try" a recipe..

Seen the "make your own peat reek" article on here? Just need a tin & a fire. Simples. In saying that though, I'd like to experiment with an "Aussie" single malt. Try to get an agreeable yet uniquely Australian flavour into it, whether that be via the aging wood, a native grain or drying/smoking grain with an unmistakable Aussie wood. I have a couple of things in mind but have to make sure I won't be imparting any poisons into anything for consumption. And we all know that everything in Australia is just itching to kill ya :))

No I haven't will check it out
bluc
Site Donor

Postby bluc » Mon Apr 11, 2016 5:37 pm

TasSpirits wrote:Hi Guys, I use Simpsons Peated Malt quite a bit, its a bit expensive $80 for 25kg last bag I bought. I am thinking something like a Joe White Pilsner Malt, should be relatively easy to get hold of and its not to expensive. Any thought on this would be appreciated :handgestures-thumbupleft:

I used it in mcwhiskey and bwko tastes great :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bluc
Site Donor

Postby wedwards » Mon Apr 11, 2016 5:42 pm

I'd be happy to contribute to this with testing etc. I use a 50L braumeister for my beers which gives nice repeatability in mashing. Have made a fair few AG single malt whiskeys over the past year or two. Based on my tests so far, Im not convinced on your pricing as Ive found you need a LOT more malt to produce enough fermentable sugars to result in a satisfactory alcohol level in your wash so as not to be wasting your time and effort. I can dig out the recipe I was using at the time which has amounts and estimated gravity etc if that would help.
wedwards

equipment: Reflux still

Postby TasSpirits » Mon Apr 11, 2016 5:45 pm

Dig Brinker wrote:

Joe White is a Tasmanian Malter using Tassie grown grain. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
TasSpirits

Postby wedwards » Mon Apr 11, 2016 6:06 pm

TasSpirits wrote:
Dig Brinker wrote:

Joe White is a Tasmanian Malter using Tassie grown grain. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Yep thats what I normally use for beers and whiskey - very tasty
wedwards

equipment: Reflux still

Postby TasSpirits » Mon Apr 11, 2016 6:26 pm

wedwards wrote:I'd be happy to contribute to this with testing etc. I use a 50L braumeister for my beers which gives nice repeatability in mashing. Have made a fair few AG single malt whiskeys over the past year or two. Based on my tests so far, Im not convinced on your pricing as Ive found you need a LOT more malt to produce enough fermentable sugars to result in a satisfactory alcohol level in your wash so as not to be wasting your time and effort. I can dig out the recipe I was using at the time which has amounts and estimated gravity etc if that would help.

That would be awesome :handgestures-thumbupleft: , I mainly use distillers malt but have used a few other types quite successfully,I have lately been using 7kg for a 25L wash and have had good results. I cost my recipes using costing software from my time as a chef so it should be fairly close.

Cheers
TasSpirits

Next

Return to Recipe Development